Thread: Ok seriously...1 gallon of milk/day?

Hybrid View

Banned

Ok seriously...1 gallon of milk/day?

How do some of you guys stomach this? My weight gain has been stagnant so I decided to add a HALF gallon of milk to my diet. Well the first two days so far has given me HORRIBLE gas. It is so bad that I frequently woke myself up throughout the night the last two nights and slept really bad. How are some of you guys drinking a gallon and getting through the day?

It's a lactose tolerance thing. My post is strictly anecdotal, but my understanding is that dairy is broken down by enzymes in your digestive tract. Some people have a larger presence of those enzymes than others, and some people completely lose those enzymes sometimes, and become intolerant.

I think. If that's incorrect, someone more medically-minded than I can clarify.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

If you don't like it...don't do it. There are other ways to get your calories and macros.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    If you don't like it...don't do it. There are other ways to get your calories and macros.
    No I love milk, I use it in every protein shake. I just find it hard to believe that people are drinking one gallon a day and not having any issues with it.

Give it a little time and see if your body adjusts to it before trying to increase it any more. If you don't tolerate the milk after a while, just pick some other convenient source for calories.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Give it a little time and see if your body adjusts to it before trying to increase it any more. If you don't tolerate the milk after a while, just pick some other convenient source for calories.
    Agreed...I don't ever plan on a gallon, I dont need a 2000 calorie surplus. One thing I will say is that my bowel movements have not changed...I am just gassy as **** lol. Poor wife man.

You have to slowly work your way up to a gallon a day. I personally have never done the GOMAD thing, but Rippetoe's recommendation to anyone that asks is to slowly work your way up to a gallon.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    You have to slowly work your way up to a gallon a day. I personally have never done the GOMAD thing, but Rippetoe's recommendation to anyone that asks is to slowly work your way up to a gallon.
    Will do...

Must...get....3 plated bench...

I plan on gaining 10 pounds to accomplish this .

Garage Lifter
    I did it for 4 weeks straight, with no ramp up and using whole milk. It usually took me about 8 hours to drink it, sometimes as few as 4. Sounds like you may be a little lactose intolerant. Not enough to bother you when eating normal amounts of dairy but GOMAD isn't normal

Add a little lactaid periodically and see how that works. Otherwise drop the milk to a quart or so and EAT LIKE A VIKING!
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    I did it for 4 weeks straight, with no ramp up and using whole milk. It usually took me about 8 hours to drink it, sometimes as few as 4. Sounds like you may be a little lactose intolerant. Not enough to bother you when eating normal amounts of dairy but GOMAD isn't normal

Add a little lactaid periodically and see how that works. Otherwise drop the milk to a quart or so and EAT LIKE A VIKING!
    Reasoning for going with HGOMAD is because I cannot eat for **** . I get full very quickly then its just me sitting there for an hour trying to force food down my throat. It is much easier for me to force milk down my throat than solid food. My tiny wife can eat more food in one meal than I can. Yes, I am 230 pounds now but back in highschool I was something like 160 pounds...I have always had trouble pushing a lot of food down.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 07-02-2010 at 09:51 AM.

If calories is a concern for you, and you are attempting to do GOMAD just for that reason. Here's what I used to do when I was hardcore bulking up:

1 shake consists of:

- 2 cups whole milk
    - 2 scoops of ON whey protien, milk chocolate flavor
    - 2 TBSP of peanut butter
    - 3/4 cup of oatmeal Quaker oats instant 1-minute oatmeal (it's cooked already, so eating it cold is fine!)

You don't want to put the oatmeal in the blender though. Have the oatmeal in a cup, then mix the PB, milk, and protien together in a blender and pour it into the cup that the oatmeal is in. Don't drink the shake, but eat the oatmeal out of it like regular cold cereal in milk. Once all the oatmeal is gone, just gulp down whatever is left of the shake.

It's a quick meal (takes 2 minutes to make, and 5 minutes to eat, and it tastes AMAZING!)

955 calories
    79 grams protien
    40 grams fat
    80 grams carbs

I highly recommend it!
    Last edited by brihead301; 07-02-2010 at 10:36 AM.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    If calories is a concern for you, and you are attempting to do GOMAD just for that reason. Here's what I used to do when I was hardcore bulking up:

1 shake consists of:

- 2 cups whole milk
    - 2 scoops of ON whey protien, milk chocolate flavor
    - 2 TBSP of peanut butter
    - 3/4 cup of oatmeal Quaker oats instant 1-minute oatmeal (it's cooked already, so eating it cold is fine!)

You don't want to put the oatmeal in the blender though. Have the oatmeal in a cup, then mix the PB, milk, and protien together in a blender and pour it into the cup that the oatmeal is in. Don't drink the shake, but eat the oatmeal out of it like regular cold cereal in milk. Once all the oatmeal is gone, just gulp down whatever is left of the shake.

It's a quick meal (takes 2 minutes to make, and 5 minutes to eat, and it tastes AMAZING!)

955 calories
    79 grams protien
    40 grams fat
    80 grams carbs

I highly recommend it!
    I will try this if I do not get used to the milk after a week or so. Thanks man.

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I got through a gallon a day no problems. Some people can handle milk better than others. I could probably get two gallons down in a day.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Banned
    ****, I've done a gallon in an hour baby.

Too bad it came back up...

I used to work as a line cook in a kitchen and i'd bring a gallon of milk with me every night to keep me hydrated. Those were the days.
    22 y/o, 6'1, ~205 lbs
    508/303/557