The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar

Incline bench press sucks?

So I'm on my second round of HCT and switched from regular bench to incline... It's just murdering my shoulders. It hurts, and not in the good way.

One thing that I'm pondering is that I need to change my grip width?
    I'm gripping the bar like I usually do on the bench press, should I try wider? Any other suggestions?
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'd suggest just doing overhead press instead of incline. About 10 months ago I could incline about 95 lbs.. I got on SS and stopped doing inclines altogether..

About a month ago my workout buddy was getting me to help him with 165 on incline doing negatives... I jumped on and busted out 5 reps on incline with no problem.

I just prefer OHP to incline bench. It seems like nearly the same exercise but overhead to me is a little more fun. And doing OHP definitely made my incline press shoot up from what I could tell.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    So I'm on my second round of HCT and switched from regular bench to incline... It's just murdering my shoulders. It hurts, and not in the good way.

One thing that I'm pondering is that I need to change my grip width?
    I'm gripping the bar like I usually do on the bench press, should I try wider? Any other suggestions?
    How wide are you on incline?

Maybe try DBs?

High incline pressing with the bar is not for me either. I use dumbbells on a low incline with no shoulder pain.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    How wide are you on incline?

Maybe try DBs?
    Width is pretty narrow, just like my bench press. The midline of my thumb is at the end of the inside of the smooth part of the bar (I hope that makes sense...) I have to hold the bar like that or my shoulders hurt for some reason.

I was doing DB's but now I'm getting so heavy in weight I have to have someone hand them to me on my last 2 2 2 . Getting a stranger to hand you weights every 30 seconds is kind of awkward.
    I would do OHP but this incline is my chest exercise for the routine.
    I thought maybe I was doing something wrong. But it looks like others don't particularly care for the lift.

Any other thoughts? Could I be letting the weight too far out in front of me/behind?

Much appreciated responses.

Starting Current

Call me Captain Obvious but have you played around with grip and bar path with an empty bar? It didn't hurt with DB's?

The narrower the grip the more you're asking your shoulders to do to get the bar to your chest - I'm assuming it hurts as you get closer to the chest?

I prefer a wider grip and bring it down to the clavicles.

If all else fails, have you considered a machine variation?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Call me Captain Obvious but have you played around with grip and bar path with an empty bar? It didn't hurt with DB's?

The narrower the grip the more you're asking your shoulders to do to get the bar to your chest - I'm assuming it hurts as you get closer to the chest?

I prefer a wider grip and bring it down to the clavicles.

If all else fails, have you considered a machine variation?
    I didn't play around with the grip the first time. I tend to get pretty focused during my workouts (ADHD hyperfocus, for you), and it didn't really "click" that I was hurting my shoulders until Iater in my workout.

Thanks for the tips. That's exactly what I was looking for. I was letting the bar hit my pecs (too far forward) and it sounds like I need to widen up my grip.

Starting Current

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    I didn't play around with the grip the first time. I tend to get pretty focused during my workouts (ADHD hyperfocus, for you), and it didn't really "click" that I was hurting my shoulders until Iater in my workout.

Thanks for the tips. That's exactly what I was looking for. I was letting the bar hit my pecs (too far forward) and it sounds like I need to widen up my grip.
    FWIW, I found that I get more shoulder pain when benching with a more narrow grip and going down to my lower pec. What Daniel said about going with a wider grip and hitting a bit below the clavicles seems to work for me for flat bench, maybe it'll work for you too for incline.

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    You may also want to consider dumbbell inclines, with the hands turned inwards a bit (like halfway between the grip you would have if hold a bar and palms facing). Many people with bad shoulders find that easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Colescott View Post
    You may also want to consider dumbbell inclines, with the hands turned inwards a bit (like halfway between the grip you would have if hold a bar and palms facing). Many people with bad shoulders find that easier.
    I agree with this as well. Depending on the make up of your shoulder joint you may not be able to handle high loads very well so you will nbeed to modify or you may end up with an injury, everyone is different on what their body is able to do. Don't be a robot to the program and adjust where needed. This is where you are much better off sticking with a slightly higher rep range and if this movement is for chest development (hypertrophy) then it will help with growth by increasing rep range.

But remember that even though you may lighten the load it doesn't mean it shouldn't be hard. Focus on keeping tension in the pecs and contracting them on every rep or every set.

If you do use a bar keep your shoulder blades somewhat pinched together during the press it will take stress out of the shoulder as well.

How about the angle of the bench... is it 45 degrees of less? Or is it more upright, between 46 and 90?
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."