The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Your Other Arm - 3 Tips for Better Forearms - Newsletter Mini Article

by Mike Scialabba

So you're turning a few heads when you roll around in a tank top these days huh? Well that's just great, but are you instilling fear in your fellow man when you give him a firm hand shake?

Having biceps like mountains and triceps like a 3 headed dragon are cool and all, but don't forget about the Popeye muscles. If you want to have better control over the weights you push and pull, particularly in Olympic lifts, and create doubt in another mans masculinity through a simple hand shake, then start following these tips for a vice clamp like grip and forearms that actually fit your growing beach bi's.

1) Stop walking around the gym with straps dangling from your wrist.

Lets face it, you're not pulling a max effort every set you perform, if even every day you lift. So why the hell are you strapping up all the time? If you feel like you can't grip the weight without them, then stop using that weight. Go lighter until your weak link catches up; in this case, your grip!!

2) Clean and Snatch!

Power Cleans, Hang Cleans, Olympic Snatch, Hang Snatch, Dumbbell Snatch are all amazing lifts for dramatically increasing your grip strength, grip conditioning, and the shear size of these muscles. They also have an insane amount of other strength and conditioning benefits, so make sure you learn them, and do them, without straps.

3) Add a few strongman lifts and unconventional movements to your training.

Incorporate heavy farmer walks, sledge hammer work, rope pulls, clean grip dead lifting, thick bar dead lifting and thick bar Olympic lifts, kettlebell flips, and kettlebell bottoms up press.

Mike performing Heavy Farmer Walks

Don't just opt out for the “Barbell Wrist Rolls” and “Reverse Curls”. Do some movements that serve some major purpose and reap some huge, grip crushing rewards!

----------------------------

This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - July 1st, 2010

You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Definately my weak link is my grip. Being held back on your deadlifts because your grip gives out is annoying.

"If you want to drastically increase your forearm development, you can use the Priority Principle in a special way: train forearms by themselves when you are rested and strong, or train your forearms on leg days when your arms are rested. You can also keep a barbell or dumbbells at home and do a couple of sets of Wrist Curls and Reverse Wrist Curls as often as you like, even once an hour every hour."

Arnold Schwarzenegge
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Quick question...

My grip has improved huge lately. Months ago I couldn't deadlift 275 because of grip, even with over-under. Now I can get a few reps double-overhand with 305ish on deads.

I use double-overhand on all my warmup sets for deads, as I've heard that will help grip a lot. For my heavy sets, I ALWAYS use the same over-under grip, and now since I've done it for awhile, it just feels TOO awkward to switch the over-under to the other hand. Will this eventually affect my grip strength because the same arm is always over and the same one is always under on my deads? Just curious...

Great write-up btw. I was doing farmer walks and stopped awhile ago, I need to reincorporate them back into my workouts.