Thread: Lack of Shoulder Mobility Causing Pec Minor Pain?

Lack of Shoulder Mobility Causing Pec Minor Pain?

For some time now I've been dealing with off and on tension in my pecs. Not a huge deal, but definitely irritating at times.

They really just felt like they were always tight.

I tried ultrasound therapy, foam rolling them, using liniment pre workout, massage and stretching my pecs a ton. None of it really seemed to work completely, although all of it worked a little.

Finally picked up my Dizenzo Clubs (his version of the indian clubs) and forced myself to use them in between every group of athletes that came through my gym during the day on Thursday and Friday this week.

By today the pain and tension was completely gone. Shoulders feel great and the pecs feel solid.

So my theory is that my lack of shoulder mobility was causing added tension in my pecs, combined with the abuse I throw at my chest and shoulders from benching every week, they were really getting thrashed. Best thought I can come up with at least lol.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Well usually it's the other way around from my experience as a massage therapist. Tight pecs causing shoulder pain but I can see it being the way you describe. What do you do with the indian clubs? Just swinging them in diffrent directions?

I have somewhat a chest-shoulder problem as well. As soon as i start incline dumbell bench pressing my shoulder starts to hurt. I suppose this comes from well developed pecs and lesser developed shoulders..working on it though.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Quote Originally Posted by rinse View Post
    Well usually it's the other way around from my experience as a massage therapist. Tight pecs causing shoulder pain but I can see it being the way you describe. What do you do with the indian clubs? Just swinging them in diffrent directions?
    You swing them around your head

Here's a video of Louie doing them -
    Video

I agree though, normally you see tight pecs causing more of a front delt pain and since I have no shoulder pain at all, I had written off the shoulder/pec possibility previously.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I loved them T! In one day the irritation seems to be gone! Got pipe at home and a pipe saw, making some in a hurry!

Could the movement of the clubs help stretch out the pec? I'm seriously looking at ordering a pair of these clubs.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

I spent quite a bit of time stretching out my pecs directly and it really did about nothing to get rid of the stiffness and pain. That's why I think it was more tension in the shoulder caused by lack of mobility

Ruff Riff had the exact same pain as did one other guy in our gym, both have done some club swinging the last few days and they also have lost all pain in their pecs.

ID - If you want to spend the $$ on the legit indian clubs, they are very nice. I really do prefer them to the pipes I have. They come in varying weights and are very durable. However if you want to spend a lot less, just get some 1" w X 30"L steel pipe and screw the end caps onto them and you'll be golden. If you want to make them heavier in the long run, mix some lead shot with some plaster and pour it down the one end. (If you fill the whole thing it'll be way too heavy lol)

I was considering getting the legit Indian clubs as my work will reimburse me for them.
    How heavy are yours would you figure? Most of them seem to be measured in oz and only realistically go up to 2lbs. It sounds really light but I'm sure that would be more than heavy enough for the movements?
    Training since Dec 2008.

The ones we have at Westside are 8lbs empty

I would put mine about the same

http://www.westside-barbell.com/therapy-line/

We normally use the 5" leverage clubs

I've done OK with the 2 lb. wooden clubs for purely mobility and prehab purposes. I haven't used any of the heavier ones that Travis mentioned, so I don't know if the heavier ones would work any better.

I might just start with the 2lb clubs and look for heavier ones if I need more.
    Training since Dec 2008.

Wannabebig New Member
    I've experienced the same problem and found out I have impinged shoulder. What cured me are 7 Simple Stretches, Range Of Motion and Strength Exercises.

General comments:

I think clubbells are awesome for shoulder mobility. I think the second exercise that Louie demonstrates wouldn't be one I'd recommend, but I think the rest are solid variants of swipes that most CB people do regularly.

Band work/stretches off the top and supports of a power rack are a great way to hit mobility work as well.

Others I like personally:
    "Halos" w. a kettlebell
    Cobras w. bands
    Skin the cat
    Dislocates
    Shoulder stretches
    Cross Bench DB Pullovers
    Bent Over Front Raise (more or less the top portion of the H-Roll)

Some of these are in this video:
    Video
    Last edited by Sensei; 07-09-2010 at 06:42 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Indian clubs are the only thing that helped me.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS