Thread: pec tear any good sports medicine/orthopedic docs around columbus ohio?

pec tear any good sports medicine/orthopedic docs around columbus ohio?

over a year ago my left pec starting bothering me but i kept training through it and it kept getting worse, then finally 8 months ago i quit lifting all together hoping it would get better. month after month it still didnt get better. after 6 months i seen a sports medicine doc and ive been doing PT for close to 2 months and its hardly any better after all after 8 months since i quit lifting. MRI's came back normal but even if i bench the bar it hurts, everything i do hurts any kind of back, chest, shoulder movement i get a burning feeling and it just feels weak, it even hurts right now as i type this and theres a very small indent by my arm pit and into my pec.

the reason i waited so long before i seen a doctor is because i kept hoping it would get better, because i never had any bruising, almost full range of motion but it was slightly limited before i hurt my chest because of a shoulder injury, and i was still able to lift when i quit. my flat bench was about 35-40 pounds weaker but on incline, shoulder press i was my strongest ever. but it got worse and now EVERYTHING bothers it i feel like im never going to back back to lifting heavy.

so i think i need a second opinion does anyone know any good sports medicine/orthopedic docs around columbus that have experience with powerlifters and this type of injury?

thanks
    Last edited by mikk; 07-04-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Did they do an MRI on your shoulder?

What you are describing sounds a lot more like a labrum tear, rather than a pectoral problem

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

they did 2 mri's the first one they didnt get enough of my pec and the second they did the chest wall. and about my shoulder before all he said was that it looked like i dislocated my shoulder at one point and now hes saying i might have a possible labrum tear but thats not explaining the indent and pain in my pec/arm pit. my left shoulder is a little weaker than my right and burns some but doesnt bother me really and no pain, my chest is a lot worse
    Last edited by mikk; 07-04-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Well obviously I'm not a doctor, but you may have torn your pec in the past at one point, but it has healed and now what you are dealing with is a torn labrum or maybe some rotator cuff issues.

Just a guess though.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

The chest pain is most likely scar tissue. The injury has long healed, but it healed with scar tissue trapping nerves or the like. If Travis thinks it sounds like a labrum and your doc says that may be the problem it probably is. I think you are confusing weakness from the shoulder issue with pain from scar tissue.

Exactly what I was thinking. If you took time off and noticed no change in the chest pain, that's a good indication of scar tissue. Massage and stretching would be a good start for the pec stuff.

But for the shoulder, I'd really get a look at that. Labrum tears can turn into very long term injuries.

i have an appointment with another doctor monday to see if he thinks prolotherapy would be something that could help. for scar tissue what do you guys think about ART? my doc was going to have me do that but instead sent me to another kind of PT to help with flexibility in my shoulder and i have almost full range of motion back now and im still in pain so he said hes done all he can do. the pain is the same kind same spot only worse that caused me to take 8 months off. how is recovery from surgery for a labrum tear, do guys usually get back to 100%?

I've never had a labrum tear, however friends that have had one, had about a 6mth recovery period before they were able to go back full board to it.

thanks, is there any certain doctors a lot of the guys at westside have been to? i was thinking about going to OSU

Mikk, your from the West Coast?

no im from ohio, i mean west side barbell not the west coast
    Last edited by mikk; 07-08-2010 at 01:06 AM.