The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Get Real - New Article!

Are you constantly comparing yourself to the superstars of bodybuilding and powerlifting you see in the magazines?

Are you impatient with your progress and feel like the big, strong and ripped physique you've always dreamt of isn't as easy or quick to achieve as you first thought?

Follow these basic guidelines over the course of your lifting career and you'll gain the perspective required to achieve some very impressive goals that will undoubtedly turn heads!

READ HERE

Please share your experiences with comparing yourself to others and your own goals/progress!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Another great article Steve. Keep them coming

I've often felt it would be a good idea for guys to see pictures of what is really possible for a drug free lifter with average genetics. We are always bombarded with pictures of the genetically gifted that our perceptions get warped.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Another good read. Thanks Steve.

Bump!

I'm curious to know what you guys think of these more motivational type of articles!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

I thought it was great personally!!! This is fairly common knowledge to me that it is consistency and long-term dedication that separates the sucessful and the unsucessful lifters....but unfortunately, not everyone understands this (or is willing to stick with the training for long enough to see REAL results). The fact that a lot of people are looking for the 'quick fix' and 'super fast results' is what the muscle mags and supplement companies bank on. "So if I buy this magazine, I'll get ripped in 2 weeks!!!" or "This supplement is gonna get me HUGE!!!".

Basically, aside from training for myself, it's makes me happy to point other newcomers to the sport in the right direction, and help them to learn what I have learned through experience. Articles like this one are great, because it backs up the main point I always try to tell people - stick with it!!!! The real results come from YEARS of training. This is one of those articles I would link to when trying to explain my point to someone that is "trying to get ripped by next Wednesday for a party".
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Great points.

It resonated with me alot too. Like yourself, it's no secret that consistency and long-term dedication brings results, but even though you know it, you can lose sight of this and get caught in the trap of developing unreal expectations.

I've failed to lose weight for 10 years consequctively. Every vacation my aim was to get ripped and I ended up going on vacation fat and saying 'next year will be my year'.

This year I did it. I lose 50lbs and can go on holiday at 11% bodyfat and feel good about the fact that I did it.

However, the past few weeks I have been looking in the mirror several times a day and get really pissed off that I do not look JACKED. I'm talking 200lbs @ 8% jacked.

Reading this article reminded me that losing 50lbs and going on vacation for the first time ever and NOT being fat is a hell of an achievement and maybe I should be looking in the mirror and saying 'You're lean, good job buddy. Go on vacation and then get your lean bulk on'

To me, I look at 200 + lbs. @ 8% bf as a extremely long-term goal....like 10 years down the road type of thing.

For more realistic physique goals (within a relatively short amount of time), I look at mma fighters' physiques. They are low bodyfat, yet still very muscular.....although not JACKED and huge.

The hardest and most important thing is diet though. It is so hard to stick to a good diet for long periods of time. When I diet properly for even a month, I look at myself if the mirror, and I'm like "Damn...who is this guy???!?!!!" But I quickly fall off the wagon and start eating crappy again. Even if my weight remains the same, and my training remains hard and heavy like always, the slacking in the diet causes negative physique results FAST.

Imagine what you would look like in 1 year of almost perfect dieting. Talk about a challenge! But if either you or I counted calories, and ate nothing but whole and healthy foods for 1 year, while continuing to train hard and steady, the results would be "unreal", Seriously!!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

I am exactly the same, I struggle to put together more than about 10 days currently without a slip and some slips can be days.

I ditched those 50lbs in a year and if I stuck to the plan could have done it in under 6 months easily.

I think a lean bulk will be easier to be consistent on because it feels like I have been dieting for ages and with 2 high carb and 1 medium carb per week, the 4 low carb should be easier enough to stick too.

One step at a time!

I commend both of you (Daniel and Bri). You guys know what it takes and have made dramatic improvements towards your goals. I hope everybody else reads the fact that you are both talking in terms of years, not weeks. And a goal of 200 lbs at low body fat for anybody under 6 feet tall is very impressive, even though the magazines have skewed our perspectives.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Nice article,

I think having some realistic goal to aim too is a good thing. Cause by seeing too much Uber guys you could feel like you are going nowhere or that something is wrong with your progress.

With realistic goal you have better feedback about your progress too, so its easier to adjust your game plan when needed cause your not always feeling like your not doing enought. this way you can avoid doing too much and too fast too and maybe avoiding some injuries.

House Lannister
    You know what could be a good article is a feature on WBB members who are natural and big/ripped. Guys like Behemoth, F=MA, Invain, etc. It'd be great to get a range of weights and heights as well as levels of experience so that people can see what good progress will look like at different points in their training as well as what is possible without AAS use. Just a thought.

lol?

I think an article profiling the likes of Behemoth, F=MA and Invain is a really good article. It's help show people what is possible with hard work and commitment aswell as teaching people to be a little more patient and have a long term approach to looking awesome. Plus I am sure we can get some really good info outta their heads

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    lol?

I think an article profiling the likes of Behemoth, F=MA and Invain is a really good article. It's help show people what is possible with hard work and commitment aswell as teaching people to be a little more patient and have a long term approach to looking awesome. Plus I am sure we can get some really good info outta their heads
    Sorry about dat. That picture was for the "big arms fast" thread going on in the BB section. Damn, I was really proud of that .gif too.

You're right about the info, especially from Be, who has an endomorphic body type yet still manages to get crazy lean.

Great article - well worth the read
    Eat big. Sleep big. Lift big. Get big.

Wannabebig Member
    I really liked the article too, and I also appreciate the "motivational" type stuff. It's like a breath like a breath of fresh air to see such a genuine concern for sharing insight/information here.

And I agree w/what Off Road said above. I remember seeing the Bigger, Stronger, Faster movie and it was pretty eye-opening, though I still couldn't honestly say what a realistic goal would be w/o some kind of "assistance."

I just know that there's probably a point where I won't get much bigger, despite probably being at least a bit favored on the genetics side.

That's just how it kind of is I guess, right?

Guerrilla Journalist Steve Colescott's Avatar
    Thanks for the kind comments. This is what they call in the print world "a think piece." I used to travel two or three weekends a month to different bodybuilding and industry expos. I found that I would come back from half of them motivated and the other half a bit down. The bodybuilding industry is a bit of a downer once you have been deep inside of it and "see what goes on behind the curtain."

I found that the ones I came back from feeling an increase in motivation were not from the events themself but from the people I had gotten to know and the interactions with them. Like any field in life, its the people you choose to surround yourself with and how you choose to process it that affects your experience. I found myself going to cover more strongman and powerlifting events, since that was a dramatically more positive experience.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bodybuilding. In its essence, it is one of the most pure and noble endeavours out there. But there are just things in how the sport is run that has harmed it. The unrealistic expectations that are presented to lifters are a big part of that.

That is why I choose to idolize the physiques of the old time lifters like Reeves, Grimmeck, and others. While they represent the genetic elite and I have no possible chance to ever look like them, they are much more reachable than the modern crop of drug bloated behemoths.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

It was excellent.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Bump!

I'm curious to know what you guys think of these more motivational type of articles!
    I like them. I actually think they prove a really good reflection of the WBB ethos and why it's a good place to learn. A lot of good info and very little B.S.

I also like the idea of profiling WBB members occasionally, even if just for the newsletter. The powerlifting section of the forum gets some of the strongest people in the world popping in to chat and that's really cool, but I also like reading about some of the amateur types who've been lifting away, keeping fit and picked up some experience here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    That is why I choose to idolize the physiques of the old time lifters like Reeves, Grimmeck, and others. While they represent the genetic elite and I have no possible chance to ever look like them, they are much more reachable than the modern crop of drug bloated behemoths.
    I think money is what has ruined the sport. While people talk about growing the sport, they don't look (or care) about the end results. I had one sport official critique me once for "doing nothing to suport the sport" which translates to not giving sponsorship money. The truth is, I was going to the events to cover them and would not have been able to even run a booth, if I were to have gotten one. Plus, the money goes to the handful of men that own the sport, not the athletes.

They have people spending tens of thousands of dollars to earn a "pro card" which usually is just the mark of the end of the athlete's career (and certainly not an indicator that increased income will result from it). The handful of guys getting paid decent endorsement contracts for a year or two in their career does little to help those that lift at a local or state level or the guy that fights for a decade to come second in a pro qualifier (collectively 98% of the sports participants). Dangling the carrot of the 0.725% that make a good living just keeps the rest of them trying harder and taking things to a riskier level in order to achieve it. You seem a scavenger lifestyle that seems to often bring out the worst in people.

I hope ten years from now powerlifting has not grown to this level. It is nice for the lifters to be rewarded for their hard work, but as soon as they get to the level of quitting their full-time jobs and exclusively chasing for a pro purse, the comradery is destroyed.
    Last edited by Steve Colescott; 07-17-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Ohh... and Daniel has asked me to profile some of the top natural athletes on here. I'm looking forward to learning more about them (and stealing their secrets for the benefit of all of us).