View Poll Results: Do you squat barefoot?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 51.67%
  • No

29 48.33%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squatting barefoot

Iron4Life
    Bare foot for the win baby...
    I always used some type of sneaker/cross trainer for >25 years... regular old BB'ing lifting it didn't really seem to matter... but when the heavy lifting/powerlifting bug hit me, I switched to Chucks and they were a life saver... couldn't lift in socks at my gym... and then I found the vibrams about 18 months ago

The vibrams are awesome... I have 2 pairs.. one for indoors, one for outdoors... so the gym I lift at doesn't complain about it...

The indoor pair I've had for almost 16 months... 3-4 days a week in the gym... heavy, dynamic, whatever they are used fulltime... I have no ripping, tearing, almost no damage except for scuff marks..
    .... there is no heel, so I have no idea what Liftersize is talking about..
    I've competed in them, both PL and Strongman competitions... even the WBB contest last winter....
    .... many squats over 550, DLs over 580.. I know it's not that heavy, but add in my 250 lbs and wide feet and you know that the shoe can handle a lot of stress...

The outdoor pair I've used for all kinds of stuff... walking a whole day at an amusement park... all strongman events... pulling & pulling sleds/cars/trucks.. walking in rivers.. many yoke runs over 800...
    ...Just recently I started doing my sprints in them - on a track and on a field... this you have to work up to.. because you need to learn a more natural stride/foot impact...
    ... I have a extra wide foot and not feels better on the feet..

Here is where the Vibrams may not be the best shoe:
    • really slick surfaces... strongman events on a rainy surface... the vibrams are not designed with the best grip.. so use rock climbing shoes or something for truck pulls in the rain...
    • some overhead stuff... a small elevated heel can help a lot of folks when they are doing OLifts, Log Presses, etc... perhaps for front squats too, but I use plates under my heels and have gone up to 410 this way..
    • people too lazy to wash them... if you let them go to long between washes, you will stick up everything around... I haven't tried the socks yet, but I hear they help with the smell a lot..
    • impatient people... who try to run to far in them the first day... look up barefoot running on Google... we've all been running unnaturally for out lifes because of our padded heels... you will need to change your running when you go barefoot... slowly... or you will experience a lot of issues
    • Vibrams are not going to replace specialized shoes.. like football/baseball cleats... Basketball/Volleyball shoes.. etc... but for training, there is nothing better then barefoot/Vibrams..

Barefoot/Vibrams... your joints will love you for it.. my ankle, knees and hip have never felt better...

Quote Originally Posted by imxfit View Post
    Has anybody used Nike Free or the Nike Free TR? I currently lift in chuck's but was looking for something more universal. I sometimes do combinations of lifting and running (CrossFit).
    I have a pair of nike free run's but I would never squat or DL in them. They wouldn't be very stable to squat in as there's lots of padding and it's really soft. I love em for just wearing around and running. Really light and for someone who runs on his toes they work well.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Thank you Sensei. I actually have a couple pairs of those socks, but I just can't get used to the coolmax material, feels like pure nylon wound tightly around my feet. Cotton socks all the way for me or nothing!
    Unless you know of a brand of injinji etc that come in cotton?
    Hi Daniel,
    I'm able to find toed-socks in Japan - they've been popular there for years. They're cotton. Luckily, I don't have big feet, or long toes and the sock sizes available in Japan are fine for me.

My guess is that it should be possible to find alternative brands made of cotton in U.S. and Europe via the internet, but I'm not sure.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

i gonna pick up a pair of the KSO's this weekend and give them a shot. seems like durability on that model isn't really an issue.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Didnt try this till my last squat session as well. Holy shnikies! My weight went up a couple pounds and i felt 10x more stable and in control and safe!
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Chucks for squats, barefoot for deadlift.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

For me, it's been chucks for squats, barefoot for deadlifts, however after seeing this post, I'm going to have to try barefoot for squats now and see how that feels. As worn as my chucks are, I'm basically barefoot anyway, ha.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    For me, it's been chucks for squats, barefoot for deadlifts, however after seeing this post, I'm going to have to try barefoot for squats now and see how that feels. As worn as my chucks are, I'm basically barefoot anyway, ha.

Flip-flops for both here.

Banned
    Arnold, and Ed Corney, squatted barefoot in Pumping Iron. I always wondered if that was for real, or for theatrical showmanship?

i squat and deadlift barefoot every time.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I like to squat in heavy boots. I tried Chucks but they felt too flimsy.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    I deadlift in oly shoes and it actually feels better than barefoot. Apparently the foot angle allows for greater quad recruitment which can result in better pulling, even though the higher angle increases the distance of the pull. As I get stronger I might switch to deadlifting barefoot. For squatting, oly shoes make all the difference. My technique is instantly better wearing them.

Banned
    Like Offroad, I squat in boots. I use the ones made by Steve Cardillo - and one of his belts as well.

Barefoot or Vibrams are the way to go, totally agree

Never tried squatting barefoot. Maybe I could give it a try or buy some of those "skinny shoes".
    Favorite Quote:"Those who think they have not time for bodily exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness--Edward Stanley"

Bodybuilding Information, Interviews, and more: www.directlyfitness.com

I've been working out 3-4 times a week in Vibram Bikila's for a year. They're amazingly durable. I squat, Olympic lift, tons of jump rope, etc, and lots of things that involve maneuvering around and such. Great shoes. It's important to get a pair with the right tread based on the terrain/surfaces you'll be working in.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

want to try it barefoot but most gyms refuse due to insurance policies.gonna try it at my friends gym when no other members are there.def wanna give those vibrams a try.all my friends on other boards that use them swear by them now...

i was deadlifting tonight and remembered seeing this thread so i took my shoes off (chucks) and i could hardly believe how much better it felt in socks. ill definitely try my squats at the end of this week in my socks too, hopefully it makes as big of a difference as it did in my deads.
    I may have "Love" on my head, but i have Hate in my heart.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Barefoot or Vibrams. I cannot squat any other way. Had reconstructive knee surgery and completely natural movements are the only exercises that aren't painful to me. Squats have helped immensely with recovery.

i was deadlifting tonight and remembered seeing this thread so i took my shoes off (chucks) and i could hardly believe how much better it felt in socks. ill definitely try my squats at the end of this week in my socks too, hopefully it makes as big of a difference as it did in my deeds.
    I would recommend squatting without socks on simply because you have less traction and your feet don't grip as well when you're wearing socks.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 09-11-2011 at 11:46 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    I love how gyms require you to wear shoes as if dropping say a 45 pound weight (or even a 10 pound weight) on a shoe is going to save a toe. Physics is fun.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive