View Poll Results: Do you squat barefoot?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

31 51.67%
  • No

29 48.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squatting barefoot

Squatting barefoot

i've been training for a long time and never tried this until yesterday. i've been suffering from a bit of knee pain when i squat heavy lately and it seemed to be a stability/balance issue. took the shoes off and damn, my base has never felt so solid on squats in my life. even wearing flat soled shoes, for me, there is no comparison. i will never squat any other way again.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Garage Lifter
    I either squat barefoot or in Vibrams (please don't flame )
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    I either squat barefoot or in Vibrams (please don't flame )
    i was just looking at a pair of the vibrams. i will probably be picking up a pair immediately.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Garage Lifter
    I wear them for all of my lifts and really like them. They are hideous and ghey but I lift in my Garage and by myself so who gives a ****
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I myself squat in chucks. Today I was training a client and she said she was having knee problems after squats sure enough today she was leaning forward in her squats. I examined her shoes then had her squat barefoot, problem solved.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    I wear them for all of my lifts and really like them. They are hideous and ghey but I lift in my Garage and by myself so who gives a ****
    yeah, they are pretty goofy looking, but that doesn't bother me. i'm sure i will get a lot of people asking about them at the gym....

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    I myself squat in chucks. Today I was training a client and she said she was having knee problems after squats sure enough today she was leaning forward in her squats. I examined her shoes then had her squat barefoot, problem solved.
    the shoes were definitely my problem as well.
    Last edited by RBB; 07-06-2010 at 01:20 PM.

I squat and deadlift in socks most of the time...

You can pick up a pack of Hanes sport socks at Target for under $10, they are black and look somewhat like sneakers so it is less conspicuous if you train in a commercial gym that requires you to wear shoes.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    yeah, they are pretty goofy looking, but that doesn't bother me. i'm sure i will get a lot of people asking about them at the gym....

the shoes were definitely my problem as well.
    RBB, I'm currently using Vibrams and I can tell you that they probably aren't worth the money. Excellent idea, but execution is poor. I found my pair to not be very durable at all when running or using them outside. In fact, I went through one pair in two days. The store I bought them at was happy to exchange them for a new pair, but that pair, which I've had for a few months and have used almost exclusively indoors in the weight room and indoor track, have rips at the seams and probably won't last many more months, which is unacceptable for the cost (80$).

They feel great when deadlifting and doing some exercises, but you could probably get nearly the same amount of feel by using a pair of Puma K-Street IIs or Salohs. Heck, you could even just get water shoes, which would be a ton cheaper. That's basically what they are.

Just thought I'd give my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    RBB, I'm currently using Vibrams and I can tell you that they probably aren't worth the money. Excellent idea, but execution is poor. I found my pair to not be very durable at all when running or using them outside. In fact, I went through one pair in two days. The store I bought them at was happy to exchange them for a new pair, but that pair, which I've had for a few months and have used almost exclusively indoors in the weight room and indoor track, have rips at the seams and probably won't last many more months, which is unacceptable for the cost (80$).

They feel great when deadlifting and doing some exercises, but you could probably get nearly the same amount of feel by using a pair of Puma K-Street IIs or Salohs. Heck, you could even just get water shoes, which would be a ton cheaper. That's basically what they are.

Just thought I'd give my opinion.
    thanks, chevelle, i appreciate the input. well, i have no problem just wearing socks if the Vibrams are not at all durable. i don't plan on using them to run in, though. lifting only. anyone else who wears the vibrams have opinions on the durability?

Garage Lifter
    mine are holding up well, but I only wear them for lifting. Had them for about 4 months.

ive actually been meaning to ask this question for a while now but kept forgetting to post it, and now you all just gave me a good answer. thanks for the post, ill be sure to try this on my next squat or deadlift day
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

I've tried lifting barefoot and it doesn't compare to a decent pair of weightlifting shoes. A cheap pair won't be any more expensive than a pair of vibrams - in fact, I think I got mine for about $50 and they'll probably last me the rest of my life.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    my brother just squats in his five fingers and the big toes are ripping after a couple months, plus the heal is slightly elevated it is not completely flat
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by Liftersize View Post
    my brother just squats in his five fingers and the big toes are ripping after a couple months, plus the heal is slightly elevated it is not completely flat
    Yep, that's where mine are ripping. It's a big stress point.

I've never noticed any elevated heel, however.

About a year and a half ago, I tried barefoot and never looked back. Love feeling my heels on the floor.
    "To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing."
    - Timothy Ferriss

"Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity."
    - Colin Powell

Chucks for squatting and pulling wide, barefoot for olympic squatting and conventional pulling.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    thanks, chevelle, i appreciate the input. well, i have no problem just wearing socks if the Vibrams are not at all durable. i don't plan on using them to run in, though. lifting only. anyone else who wears the vibrams have opinions on the durability?
    Had my fivefingers KSO for 18months now, use them every time I train, prowler work everything and they've lasted just fine. Only downside is they need a machine wash every week (which they're designed to do) or they stink and feel a bit slimy.

Based on reviews I've read, and my own experiences, the KSO's are the best fitting of the bunch.

They get around the 'no barefoot training' rule in most gyms, but if the gym allows barefoot and you don't see yourself wearing them outside the gym then socks/barefoot would be as good/better for squatting etc.

Guy above mentioned a heel - there's no heel.

Agreed. I think the KSOs are going to be a lot more durable than the regular Vibrams. I've had a pair for over a year now and have grown to like them for most exercises.

I don't squat heavy these days, but if I was ramping the poundages back up, I'd switch back to OL shoes. For lighter poundages, I'm fine w. the Vibrams.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Has anybody used Nike Free or the Nike Free TR? I currently lift in chuck's but was looking for something more universal. I sometimes do combinations of lifting and running (CrossFit).
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

used to squat in runners, hurt my knees, started squatting in chucks fixed that issue. Since I've switched to a weightlifting shoe with a heel... 1000000x better

I haven't tried squatting barefoot though, I have deadlifted barefoot but not squat... yet I may have to try it for fun one day.

Oh and I want a pair of vibrams just cause.
    Last edited by IronDiggy; 07-07-2010 at 01:06 PM.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by imxfit View Post
    Has anybody used Nike Free or the Nike Free TR? I currently lift in chuck's but was looking for something more universal. I sometimes do combinations of lifting and running (CrossFit).
    Those shoes really aren't that great and don't do what they are designed to do: allow your foot to move naturally. The Free and TR still have a big ass heel that's going to F with your natural stride. If I were you I'd pick up a pair of track trainers, like the Puma Saloh or K-Street II.

When I was doing more sprint training I was reading up on POSE running pretty regularly and those who practiced it always recommended either barefoot, vibrams, or Puma H-Streets. I think they'd all work out for weightlifting too.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Had my fivefingers KSO for 18months now, use them every time I train, prowler work everything and they've lasted just fine. Only downside is they need a machine wash every week (which they're designed to do) or they stink and feel a bit slimy.
    Forgot to mention this, but if you buy a pair of Vibrams, you would do well to buy a few pair of toed socks to go with them. You will eliminate the need to wash them and the odor issue as well.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I have worked out barefoot or with Vibram Flows for at least two years. In the past, I have had horrible problems with shin splints when running and knee problems while squatting, all of these disappeared when I dropped the shoes.

Everything indoors or in my garage I do completely barefoot, anything outside (like sledge/tire, gate jumps, sandbag work, or sprints) I do in the Vibram Flows. I also use the Flows while sailing and river fishing. I have had no problems with the shoes falling apart. I wash them in the washing machine at least once per month, and they look just like they day I bought them, except for some Siberian Husky hair stuck in the velcro.

Like Sensei mentioned, maybe this is a problem with the "base model" pair, and not the KSO or Flow models, which are more expensive and give better fit.

Edit: I should add that most of my squatting has been with either sandbags, bodyweight, or heavy dumbells. I haven't done heavy barbell work in a few months.
    Last edited by shootermcgavin7; 07-07-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Forgot to mention this, but if you buy a pair of Vibrams, you would do well to buy a few pair of toed socks to go with them. You will eliminate the need to wash them and the odor issue as well.
    Thank you Sensei. I actually have a couple pairs of those socks, but I just can't get used to the coolmax material, feels like pure nylon wound tightly around my feet. Cotton socks all the way for me or nothing!
    Unless you know of a brand of injinji etc that come in cotton?

chevelle2291, thanks.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb