Bare foot for the win baby...
I always used some type of sneaker/cross trainer for >25 years... regular old BB'ing lifting it didn't really seem to matter... but when the heavy lifting/powerlifting bug hit me, I switched to Chucks and they were a life saver... couldn't lift in socks at my gym... and then I found the vibrams about 18 months ago
The vibrams are awesome... I have 2 pairs.. one for indoors, one for outdoors... so the gym I lift at doesn't complain about it...
The indoor pair I've had for almost 16 months... 3-4 days a week in the gym... heavy, dynamic, whatever they are used fulltime... I have no ripping, tearing, almost no damage except for scuff marks..
.... there is no heel, so I have no idea what Liftersize is talking about..
I've competed in them, both PL and Strongman competitions... even the WBB contest last winter....
.... many squats over 550, DLs over 580.. I know it's not that heavy, but add in my 250 lbs and wide feet and you know that the shoe can handle a lot of stress...
The outdoor pair I've used for all kinds of stuff... walking a whole day at an amusement park... all strongman events... pulling & pulling sleds/cars/trucks.. walking in rivers.. many yoke runs over 800...
...Just recently I started doing my sprints in them - on a track and on a field... this you have to work up to.. because you need to learn a more natural stride/foot impact...
... I have a extra wide foot and not feels better on the feet..
Here is where the Vibrams may not be the best shoe:
- really slick surfaces... strongman events on a rainy surface... the vibrams are not designed with the best grip.. so use rock climbing shoes or something for truck pulls in the rain...
- some overhead stuff... a small elevated heel can help a lot of folks when they are doing OLifts, Log Presses, etc... perhaps for front squats too, but I use plates under my heels and have gone up to 410 this way..
- people too lazy to wash them... if you let them go to long between washes, you will stick up everything around... I haven't tried the socks yet, but I hear they help with the smell a lot..
- impatient people... who try to run to far in them the first day... look up barefoot running on Google... we've all been running unnaturally for out lifes because of our padded heels... you will need to change your running when you go barefoot... slowly... or you will experience a lot of issues
- Vibrams are not going to replace specialized shoes.. like football/baseball cleats... Basketball/Volleyball shoes.. etc... but for training, there is nothing better then barefoot/Vibrams..
Barefoot/Vibrams... your joints will love you for it.. my ankle, knees and hip have never felt better...
Squat More! -- RIP Jesse .. It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. -- Teddy Roosevelt
One Old Man's Progress & Goals Journal
Great Programs: the new WBB 1.1 .. Baby Got Back Program .. Bill Starr 5x5 .. Westside Basic Training
Exercise Vids & info: ExRx.net .. U of Wisconsin Vids .. U of Idaho Vids .. Elite FTS Exercises ..Learn to Squat Vids RX#1-12 ..Or Dan John's Squat Vid ..
Squats are better then Leg Presses .. Squats are better for jumping too .. And NOT just for men..
Food & Diet Info: FitDay for tracking your Diet Calculators: Westside & Coan .. One Rep Max Strongman: Strongman Starter