Thread: tight wrap question

Hybrid View

tight wrap question

Now i've always wrapped myself and wrapped what i felt was comfortable my whole career but I've never done it nor squatted around other competitive lifters in any setting that I can remember. They gave me a few pointers...one of them being that I should squeeze my traps hard and THAT is what they mean by keeping my upper back tight. I was more focused on retracting my scapula and squeezing THEM hard instead of my traps.

The other thing pointed out was how I wrapped. They said the fact that I could damn near do a full squat in knee wraps says i didn't wrap hard enough and that it would make a huge difference. Does it really make that big of a difference between being able to flex your leg in wraps and not? Am I not getting as much as I could out of the wraps?

Also, how much of the last wrap do you cover with the next one? half way or just enough? I didn't know if you should see skin when you squat or not between the wraps?
    Last edited by thewicked; 07-06-2010 at 12:01 PM.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

I like to go a 1/3 of the wrap carry over or so. Wraps should be so tight that you literally cant stand to have them on and only time for you to do your attempt then run over to your handle to get them off is tolerable. If you going to wear them you might as well have them cranked.

I get around 50 Lbs out of wraps.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    When I wrap I get them on as tight as I can. Putting wraps on and wearing them is the hardest part of the workout lol.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I wrap mine pretty tight. But I only get about 25lbs out of them. I'm sure I could get more but I'm not to worried about that in training. Someone else wraps my knees in meets and they go a whole lot tighter.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Dr. Subtotal
    if you own a pair of apt convicts and wear them more than a few times a year, you're not wrapping tight enough lol

One thing I find that helps about training in wraps is to not get too crazy about them. Things alway happen at meets and theres a good chance you're not going to get a perfect wrap, so train with that in mind, especially if a certain fed you may lift in are nazis about the 1 minute rule. APT has a good video about wrapping. I've switched to the X style cross wrap and like it.
    Last edited by BloodandThunder; 07-06-2010 at 08:52 PM.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

Quote Originally Posted by BloodandThunder View Post
    if you own a pair of apt convicts and wear them more than a few times a year, you're not wrapping tight enough lol

One thing I find that helps about training in wraps is to not get too crazy about them. Things alway happen at meets and theres a good chance you're not going to get a perfect wrap, so train with that in mind, especially if a certain fed you may lift in are nazis about the 1 minute rule. APT has a good video about wrapping. I've switched to the X style cross wrap and like it.
    People should post video on how they wrap their knees. Just to get different ideas on how people wrap their knees. Esp at different lengths.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

X wrap style for me too... I use the old Inzer Z-wrap for knees and only wrap on my heaviest sets.

They should be so tight that your feet will be tingling after your set!

I like to wrap the first half real tight, the second half less.

Most of the wrap covers the knee to get more pop (not high up the quad which makes it hard to walk out weight and gives less pop) IMO.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

For the upper back tightness you mentioned, check out elitefts. Dave Tate has posted a couple of videos recently regarding upper back tightness. One is how to get your upper back tight in the SQ and the other is how to do it for the BP. The BP article is only a couple days old, but doesn't have Tate listed as the author but he is in the video working with the author.
    I'm not a knee wrap expert because they have always been too much of a pain to deal with in training on a regular basis. I do know that tighter will yield more support and more pop. I also know that if you are seeing gaps of skin between the wraps on the way down, you aren't getting as much as you could out of the wraps.