Thread: Saturated Fat for a Healthy Heart

Saturated Fat for a Healthy Heart

I like to check out the deal websites occasionally. The other day people were going ape shit over coconut oil. I "knew" that coconut oil was bad for you, because it was so high in saturated fats. I had been using EVOO, because of this.

Well it turns out I've condemned myself to die of cancer! It seems that EVOO and other oils with lots of free fatty acids release carcinogens at typical grilling or stir frying temperatures.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point

So it turns out Coconut oil is high in medium chain triglycerides. I know I have seen those words before. They are written on the side of my protein powder! MCTs have been shown to help with fat oxidation and weight loss. That actually sounds good.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_oil
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-chain_triglycerides

Coconut oil does not go rancid for two years, it taste good, it is semi-solid at room temps, good for frying, and the cultures that use it everyday show little signs of heart disease.

Now I just have to worry about my Teflon coated pan killing me, or is it the heavy metals from my uncoated pan? Fuck it! I'm going to go drive my 325hp truck out to the beach to get a tan, and smoke a cigar by a camp fire.

What do you think?
    Last edited by BallsWideDeep; 07-03-2011 at 09:42 AM.

Sorry. Accidentally posted in wrong area.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks 4 the info. Omega 3 Fatty Acids also promotes and delivers a good healthy heart from one individual. Omega 3 fatty acids also act as an anticoagulant to prevent blood from clotting. On more info, few studies also suggest that these fatty acids may help lower high blood pressure. Maybe that's why my uncle is taking a MX Omega 3 Fish oil Supplement to protect his Heart.

Quote Originally Posted by jaypiecruz View Post
    Thanks 4 the info. Omega 3 Fatty Acids also promotes and delivers a good healthy heart from one individual. Omega 3 fatty acids also act as an anticoagulant to prevent blood from clotting. On more info, few studies also suggest that these fatty acids may help lower high blood pressure. Maybe that's why my uncle is taking a MX Omega 3 Fish oil Supplement to protect his Heart.
    That's cool. I think it's pretty well accepted that Omega 3's are good fat. It's still hard for me believe that saturated fat may not be bad for your heart after all. My head is still so filled up with all the heart disease info. I knew saturated fats were necessary for the regulation of hormones, but from what I'm reading some saturated fats seem like just as good a choice as fish oil and EVOO.

It's funny but it takes decades for the studies to come out with results that empirical evidence has shown for years. I was on the U of Texas website the other day. It showed a study where they found chocolate milk was a better recovery drink than carbohydrate alone. No shit! hahaha

Sort of hilarious that the whole saturated fat -> heart disease link is based on poorly interpreted longitudinal clinical data from the 60's and 70's. Saturated fat isn't bad for your heart any more than protein is bad for your kidneys or carbohydrates are bad for your status as a non-diabetic. Certain types in excess could be harmful, but for the most part..... no worries.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results