The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Back crack/pop during deadlift

Just got done with a lifting session and hopefully have not injured myself seriously...

I was attempting to dead lift 375lbs for 5, on my 2nd rep about at knee level, I feel a crack/pop in my lower back... I immediately drop the weights, take off my weight belt and lay down on a bench. 2 weeks ago I lifted 365lbs x5 with ease.

It felt like I majorly popped/cracked my back similar to how you can crack a knuckle or when you have someone walk on your back. I had my power belt on very tight, maybe too tight?

Right now (about 30 minutes later), it is not too painful but I feel compelled by my body to maintain strict posture and a lingering feeling of my back needing to be cracked to get back to normal (which I will not do). There does not appear to be any swelling.

I don't have health insurance, so any advice beyond going to the doctor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Ice and anti-inflammatories. Stretch. Back off the weights considerably and work back up slowly over time.

If it hurts, don't do it. No reason to have a major set-back if taking some time off and doing some rehab will fix any problems you are having.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    Ice and anti-inflammatories. Stretch. Back off the weights considerably and work back up slowly over time.

If it hurts, don't do it. No reason to have a major set-back if taking some time off and doing some rehab will fix any problems you are having.
    Thanks, that is what I was planning on doing.

Was thinking of taking a week or three off from any back/spine loaded lifts and then easing into it with a 5/3/1 style program those lifts. Maybe this would be a good time to work on my pull up/push up endurance.
    My 10 week cut results

It's likely you would be in alot more pain if it were something serious, so that's the good news. I would still recommend taking some deload time and working back slowly. Exactly how slow you work back will be determined by how bad things feel over the next week or so (i.e. does it get really sore and hurt alot or is it relatively minor). Either way, don't rush things back. I had some relatively minor back issues a while back and I would take about two weeks between anything heavy, but this wasn't enough to keep it from getting re-injured. I finally had to back way off and work back slowly over several weeks. This finally seemed to get things back to normal after several weeks.

Lay flat on the floor and elevate your legs on something like the couch. Try to push your tailbone through the floor. Should pop your back right where you want it. You can also do this with your feet flat on the ground. I need to do this sometimes and figured it out on my own. Do not take this as medical advice, but I bet it works. If you aren't in severe pain, you are probably ok. Stretch more after lifting and off days. Take some more time warming up prior to lifting.
    Last edited by joey54; 07-07-2010 at 06:39 PM.

How does it feel now? How long has it been since you trained and hurt it?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I injured it yesterday (weds) at around 11am est. Spent the rest of day icing and resting. In the evening, I spent about an hour on my back on a hard wood floor and then spent sometime doing mobility movements (cat/camel back, up/down dog, mckenzie movements, etc.) Before going to bed, I had my girlfriend massage my lower back for about 20 min. I also made sure to sleep flat on my back.

I woke up this morning feeling a little sore and stiff, but I could move around decently. Went to my internship where I spent around 12 hours on my feet, and I wasn't hindered too bad.

I am hoping the worst of it has passed and that my rehab protocol worked to minimize damage. I still plan on taking it easy on heavy lifts for about 2-3 weeks and then easing back in to it.

Thoughts? Comments?
    My 10 week cut results

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    I injured it yesterday (weds) at around 11am est. Spent the rest of day icing and resting. In the evening, I spent about an hour on my back on a hard wood floor and then spent sometime doing mobility movements (cat/camel back, up/down dog, mckenzie movements, etc.) Before going to bed, I had my girlfriend massage my lower back for about 20 min. I also made sure to sleep flat on my back.

I woke up this morning feeling a little sore and stiff, but I could move around decently. Went to my internship where I spent around 12 hours on my feet, and I wasn't hindered too bad.

I am hoping the worst of it has passed and that my rehab protocol worked to minimize damage. I still plan on taking it easy on heavy lifts for about 2-3 weeks and then easing back in to it.

Thoughts? Comments?
    That is good news. The morning after is usually when the worst of the pain will be there, at least it was for me.

Just play it safe and this will just be a slight detour.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    That is good news. The morning after is usually when the worst of the pain will be there, at least it was for me.

Just play it safe and this will just be a slight detour.
    Agree, if you are not in agony the morning after, that's a good sign!
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!