The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

is bread that bad?

for an anobolic diet, i.e. a diet that promotes lean muscle mass, fat loss, etc. is bread so bad?

and what about gluten causing higher estrogen levels?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    for an anobolic diet, i.e. a diet that promotes lean muscle mass, fat loss, etc. is bread so bad?
    No. I am constantly ready to defend bread's honour. It gets an unfair rep in fitness circles.

Wannabebig Member
    I think it depends on the type of bread. The enriched "wonder" bread airy type stuff sucks IMHO.

Basically the safest route is using bread products that have sprouted grains. For example Ezekiel makes sprouted grain products like cereal, and bread.

Also Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) is the better alternative to using wheat. It is a more complete and health grain and is used to make pasta, cereal, and other similar products.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    No. I am constantly ready to defend bread's honour. It gets an unfair rep in fitness circles.
    Bread gives me the energy I need to get good workouts in.
    I fit bread into my daily macronutrient requirements.

I don't understand what is so hard about this concept.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 05-13-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Bread has a bad rap for 2 reasons:

1. It is high in carbs. Foods high in carbs spike your insulin levels. Insulin signals your body's cells to absorb nutrients. Muscle cells absorb more nutrients, but, unfortunately, it has the same effect on fat cells. If your insulin levels are raised, your body will not burn body fat.

2. Certain chemicals in bread (and other grains) cause inflammation and other nasty effects. This affects different people in different ways. Most people can eat bread and not notice the effects. Some people report certain ailments to completely disappear after removing grains from the diet.

If you are extremely active, such as an athlete, you can get away with eating lots of bread. In this case, you're body needs the high carbs to support its energy levels. However, you can get by fine on high fat alone.

If you are trying to lose body fat, cutting out bread is a good idea.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

People that spout off about cutting bread completely from a diet are flat out wrong. There is one very simple reason why and I've said it before.

Bread is (usually) pre-portioned.

Two slices of bread to make a sandwich is easily controllable and a snap to work into daily macros. Carbophobics run into problems with things like rice, potatoes, and pasta which are NOT easily pre-portioned and project this onto bread. It's very easy to overdo it on pasta, rice, and potatoes without realizing it. You have to purposely decide to eat an entire loaf of sliced bread.

Very few people here need to worry about that kind of asinine micromanagement. Eat the damn bread.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    People that spout off about cutting bread completely from a diet are flat out wrong. There is one very simple reason why and I've said it before.

Bread is (usually) pre-portioned.

Two slices of bread to make a sandwich is easily controllable and a snap to work into daily macros. Carbophobics run into problems with things like rice, potatoes, and pasta which are NOT easily pre-portioned and project this onto bread. It's very easy to overdo it on pasta, rice, and potatoes without realizing it. You have to purposely decide to eat an entire loaf of sliced bread.

Very few people here need to worry about that kind of asinine micromanagement. Eat the damn bread.
    The question isn't really about portion size, it's why bread is considered bad.

I've eliminated it mostly from my diet and I can tell a positive difference. One big thing is that I feel way less bloated after eating a large meal.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post

and what about gluten causing higher estrogen levels?
    Rugby Dad, the simple answer is no. Bread is not, but White Bread is. Anytime the word white is added, it changes everything. Basically, it's bleached and refined and most of the nutritional content of the grain and fiber is removed. It equates pretty much to empty calories. Funny thing is some white breads are "enhanced" with vitamins meaning that everything that was taken out is put back in.

As part of a balanced diet, bread (whole grain) is ok.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Wannabebig Member
    I eat bread. I eat whole grain bread but sometimes I eat the white "wonder" bread. I eat some with breakfast and before a workout. It gives me energy I just can't get from fat/protein. I think the biggest problem is in America we ate way too much bread (no really!). Bread used to have to be baked at home and was a delicacy that took time to prepare. Nowadays you can get a loaf for pocket change.
    Last edited by shipdadip; 05-18-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Well I think eating bread is not bad but excess eating of bread can be very bad. Also eating whole grain Bread is better than white and Brown rice better than white. It's a carbohydrate, which by definition is a large, energy-storing molecule. Eat bread- it's healthy. But don't eat too much unless you're planning on going on a long walk or doing some other strenuous activity.

Wannabebig Member
    I love bread, I eat maybe 2-3 slices of it a day.

Mostly sandwiches for mini meals, as in just one slice of bread, folded in half with some form of protein, mostly chicken for me.

My favorite bread is Dave's Killer Bread, its all over the Pacific Northwest, <3 that stuff. Never knew a "healthy" 100% whole wheat 21 grain bread could be some damned tasty.

Wannabebig Member
    Bread rules. How else would I sop up my BBQ sauce?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shipdadip View Post
    I think the biggest problem is in America we ate way too much bread (no really!). Bread used to have to be baked at home and was a delicacy that took time to prepare. Nowadays you can get a loaf for pocket change.
    You've got this a bit mixed up. Yes, it had to be baked at home (or at a local bakery), but it was always cheap and that's why people ate a lot of it. People eat less bread now than they used to. People eat a lot more meat than they used to. People are better off and can spend more money on fattier, tastier delicacies, like meat and can ignore the old staples like bread.

I've mentioned this before, but my mum has baked bread every Friday night for probably the last twenty years. She then freezes what isn't eaten fresh and that bread is used for the rest of the week. My mum came from a relatively poor, working-class family in England and that's just what you did to help save money. My parents are wealthy middle-class people but she still bakes her own bread and eats it during the week because she still has that mentality. I don't relate this story to show how "we had it tough in the old days" but just to point out how ****ed up people's perception of food has gotten.

What pisses me off about the bread thing is that some people actually seem to think that bread is like this evil food responsible for all modern dietary ills. When in actual fact, it's probably saved millions of people in various civilizations over the past centuries by providing cheap, easily made, nutritious food for poor, struggling people. It is a great food source; this new, modern reputation shows just how spoilt we've become.

Bread alone does not make people fat, too much food makes people fat. And what has made people fat over the past 50-60 years is partly down to people earning more, eating less bread and a hell of a lot more of everything else.

Short version: if you're a pro bodybuilder, on very restricted calories, or know you work better on fat-based diets then cut it out. Otherwise, you're fine. And you should learn how to bake bread.
    Last edited by J.C.; 07-07-2010 at 01:32 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    I always prefer grain bread as daily nutrient.That because of its fiber content, rather, a piece of bread can be more filling of two doses of white bread.

Banned
    Bread is very good for you, dont let anyone say it isnt, its pratically the staff of life for humanity. its just those stupid low carb diets that tell you bread is bad, true and complex whole grain breads are some of the best things you can put in your body.

I wannabebig!
    bread will be "bad" for many reasons depending on who you ask.

myself, I eat bread on a daily basis for simplicity.