The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Loss in strength...How do I get it back the fastest?

I am currently playing highschool football and doing the summer workouts with the team. All of our workouts are based off of our 1 rep maxes that we did in late april or early may. Since then I really haven't been working out hard at all. I have been skipping reps and not really doing what I am supposed to. Now they have bumped up the weight pretty high and it is extremely hard. I feel like I have lost all of the strength that I gained during off season. Even though I am doing the workouts now I still can't push the weight up. Would it be possible to get all of that strength back by the time the season starts in mid august or so? How would I do it?
    Bench: 280
    Squat: 375
    Clean: 230
    15 years old 5' 11" 200lbs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Stop skipping reps, or taking it easy in the gym.
    Oh yeah, and start eating more food.
    Nothing that hasnt been said before.

Wannabebig Member
    I already said that I stopped skipping reps. I will try to eat more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallen Hall View Post
    I agree with all of this. There really aren't any secrets that will bring your strength back.

The one thing I would add is that if you're working with weights that are too heavy (to the point that you're constantly failing) I think this can be really draining, both physically and psychologically. So, if you're still trying to push your old maxes and getting frustrated that they're not going up, you might be better off resetting at a lower weight and working back up.

Best of luck.

Wannabebig Member
    The one thing I would add is that if you're working with weights that are too heavy (to the point that you're constantly failing) I think this can be really draining, both physically and psychologically. So, if you're still trying to push your old maxes and getting frustrated that they're not going up, you might be better off resetting at a lower weight and working back up.

Best of luck.
    We do 1 set of 5 with moderate weight
    then 2 sets of 5 at decently heavy weight
    Last we have 2 sets of 4 at really heavy weight (for me at least) I did some math and it is 85% of our max

I can do my first couple sets but then when we get to our heavy last couple sets I cannot do any of my cleans which I am supposed to do two sets of four. I can barely get my squats but I have to wear a belt. I can get maybe one or two of my first set of four but not the last set. I would lower the weight but we can't. We have to go by the chart that is at our power rack.

That's a difficult thing if your program isn't flexible. I guess I'd just try to make the most of the lighter sets where you can handle the weight. Try to focus on getting your form back on those.

Also, if you're not currently using creatine, that can be helpful in getting an extra rep or two on some of the tougher sets.

Banned
    You're doing the right thing with eating. Drink as much water as you possibly can, because you'll lose water weight faster if you have something to get rid of. Cleansing really does not help with weight loss. When you do it, you're starving your body of essential nutrients, and so your body stores them (including fats) rather than gets rid of them.

What you need to do to slim down is exercise more. There's no other foolproof way. Dance is aerobic exercise, but you need to be doing aerobic cardio for at least 45 minutes a day as well, at least 3-5 days a week. You should also be doing weight training 2-3 days a week, because muscle burns more fat than fat (obviously). Also, you should only be losing 2-3 pounds per week; more than that is unhealthy. When you do cardio and weight training, target your problem areas. A personal trainer can show you the correct exercises to do, even if you just get one session with them to learn the right exercises.

Good luck!

Tell your coach you need to reset or you are going to hurt yourself. He should have noticed you couldn't do the weights by now and since he hasn't, it makes me wonder what is going on in your weight room. My strength coach would have his his foot so far up my butt if I was skipping reps and not able to do my working sets....
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011