Thread: Herniated Disc

Consumer of Bumper Plates

Herniated Disc

I figured I'd start my own thread on this, if anyone wants to hi-jack and get some help, by all means do so since we are all about helping each other. I have an appointment with my chiro tomorrow to review the MRI video which was taken on tuesday of this week. So its the jury is out on how serious this actually is and I am unsure what will be prescribed and if i will need to see a PT or Ortho. This occurred about 2 or 3 weeks ago while doing some deadlift work at just about 95%. I would sincerely appreciate any and all advice. A quick look on what I have going on right now. I have limited ROM but I can comfortably tie my own shoes and do some controlled bodyweight movements with very little pain or discomfort. I have not done much in weighted movements since the discomfort came on and today I did: 4x15 unweighted good mornings w/ bar, 4x15 reverse hypers on the GHD machine, 4x15secs dead hang on the pull-up bar and 4x10 bird-dogs. Rolled out a little bit also and tried to do this weird "lay-the-foam-roller-against-the-spine-deal" and as soon as I felt discomfort I stopped and decided to put that one away for a few more days. Any advice, help, nutritional guidance. Im at 6 grams of Fish Oils right now as well as a pretty decent battery of Ibuprofen and Tylenol, switching each back and forth every 4 hours. Suggestions?

- hulk
    Last edited by thehulk0316; 07-08-2010 at 12:46 PM.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.

Well, the good thing is it must not be too bad if you can still move around that well. I herniated 3 discs many years ago and I was pretty much bed ridden for a long time. It took 3 solid years of physical therapy for me to return to almost normal.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Consumer of Bumper Plates
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Well, the good thing is it must not be too bad if you can still move around that well. I herniated 3 discs many years ago and I was pretty much bed ridden for a long time. It took 3 solid years of physical therapy for me to return to almost normal.
    Well I have no problem "taking it easy" I just know myself and I would much rather do a battery of stretches and rehabilitative exercises both weighted and unweighted then "do nothing". I just cant. I am a competitive athlete for almost 20 years already and I just cant sit around and there is only so much "waiting" my mind can take. If all I can do is unweighted mid-line stabilizing work or posterior chain work...lay it all on me because ill do it all. But I agree with you I personally don't believe its a serious herniation, as far as a herniation is concerned anyway. I think, and this is my limited knowledge on the subject speaking, if it was serious I would have a lot less movement and ROM in my back, legs and midline area. Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.

I would suggest trying to decompress your back. This might help with the pain and healing process.

Find a decline sit up machine and put the setting as high as it will go, then get on it and lay back while putting your hands above your head. Lay there for a good bit to let your spine decompress and relieve any pressure on the disc. You can also do this by going to a park and finding pull up bars or any suspended bar, get your legs over it and hang upside down for a few.

I would also say reverser hypers are a great exercise when coming off of a disc problem, but it looks like you are already doing them. I know Louie Simmons really pioneered using them after a back injury.

Quote Originally Posted by thehulk0316 View Post
    Well I have no problem "taking it easy" I just know myself and I would much rather do a battery of stretches and rehabilitative exercises both weighted and unweighted then "do nothing". I just cant. I am a competitive athlete for almost 20 years already and I just cant sit around and there is only so much "waiting" my mind can take. If all I can do is unweighted mid-line stabilizing work or posterior chain work...lay it all on me because ill do it all. But I agree with you I personally don't believe its a serious herniation, as far as a herniation is concerned anyway. I think, and this is my limited knowledge on the subject speaking, if it was serious I would have a lot less movement and ROM in my back, legs and midline area. Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.
    I hear you with not be able to just "sit around" I went through a bad spell of lower back problems this year I would try to find a good physio who has worked with strength athletes, to many PT's don't understand how to deal with and get back in working order a guy who wants to be active and lift heavy ****. Also take a look at the work of Dr. Stuart Mcgill http://www.backfitpro.com/ and try to get his latest book. I would also be wary of the reverse hyper, a lot of people with disc issues don't respond well to it the bottom half of the move mt puts you back in flex ion and shears the spine. But if it helps you then do it. Other then that I would focus on spinal stabilization exercises, unilateral work, and glute bridges to keep up you lower body strength and a ton of glute and hip flex or stretching.
    "What is the strongest cure?—Victory."

-Friedrich Nietzsche

“You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny."

-Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

I have a herniated L5-S1. I believe I first actually hurt myself last summer but re-aggravated it in the middle of April. I was just about bedridden for a week, had to take 6 weeks off training (just tried to work on flexibility and regaining movement during this time) followed by 2 weeks of light, non-ballistic work with my 16kg kettlebell. Then I could do some swings and had to build back up to where I can do my normal training sessions.

I'm in 4 risk groups for it (active, heavy, tall, and over 30) so it was really just a matter of time. Now I'm absolutely anal about my form, take about 400mg of ibuprofen about a half hour before training and then always lay on my stomach after training for a good 15 minutes to reduce stress on the lower back. After a hard session, laying down is pretty much all I want to do anyway, so it works out.

The biggest thing is to not push it too far. The goal should be to heal and so anything that isn't conducive to that goal needs to be put aside.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.