The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Researching HMB

Researching HMB

I just started on Results, and I was standing there in the kitchen reading the side of the container and saw "HMB". Well.. I'm not a nutrition expert, so I googled it. If this is all common knowledge that only I don't know, fair enough...

Effect of leucine metabolite -hydroxy--methylbutyrate on muscle metabolism during resistance-exercise training

S. Nissen, R. Sharp, M. Ray, J. A. Rathmacher, D. Rice, J. C. Fuller Jr., A. S. Connelly, and N. Abumrad

Iowa State University, Ames 50011; Metabolic Technologies Inc., Ames, Iowa 50010; MET-Rx Inc., Irvine, California 92715; and North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, New York 11030

Received 18 August 1995; accepted in final form 1 July 1996.

Nissen, S., R. Sharp, M. Ray, J. A. Rathmacher, D. Rice, J. C. Fuller, Jr., A. S. Connelly, and N. Abumrad. Effect of leucine metabolite -hydroxy--methylbutyrate on muscle metabolism during resistance-exercise training. J. Appl. Physiol. 81(5): 2095-2104, 1996.The effects of dietary supplementation with the leucine metabolite -hydroxy--methylbutyrate (HMB) were studied in two experiments. In study 1, subjects (n = 41) were randomized among three levels of HMB supplementation (0, 1.5 or 3.0 g HMB/day) and two protein levels (normal, 117 g/day, or high, 175 g/day) and weight lifted for 1.5 h 3 days/wk for 3 wk. In study 2, subjects (n = 28) were fed either 0 or 3.0 g HMB/day and weight lifted for 2-3 h 6 days/wk for 7 wk. In study 1, HMB significantly decreased the exercise-induced rise in muscle proteolysis as measured by urine 3-methylhistidine during the first 2 wk of exercise (linear decrease, P < 0.04). Plasma creatine phosphokinase was also decreased with HMB supplementation (week 3, linear decrease, P < 0.05). Weight lifted was increased by HMB supplementation when compared with the unsupplemented subjects during each week of the study (linear increase, P < 0.02). In study 2, fat-free mass was significantly increased in HMB-supplemented subjects compared with the unsupplemented group at 2 and 4-6 wk of the study (P < 0.05). In conclusion, supplementation with either 1.5 or 3 g HMB/day can partly prevent exercise-induced proteolysis and/or muscle damage and result in larger gains in muscle function associated with resistance training.

That works for me.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Thanks for posting that. HMB has research going both ways in terms of it being effective or ineffective by itself. It is my firm belief that it is an excellent combo ingredient to include with creatine and or Beta-Alanine.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!