The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Eating to get big?

So I've been told and I've checked the numbers with a 'protein calculator' and i should be getting in around 180 grams a protein.

Now what if you don't have the money or the time to consume 180 grams of protein EVERY day? I also don't get alot of support from my parents, i mean, they'll buy some stuff for me or cook something or whatever, but they also keep saying i shouldn't overexagerate (or however you write that).

Are you destined not to grow then?

I used to buy cheap tuna almost every day, but i just read that isn't all to healthy with all the mercury in it..and if i eat a can i still only got 30grams of protein in..ofcourse i get some more grams here and there and i drink a shake after i worked out, but i can't reach 180 grams EVERY day..on training days yes maybe, but the days in between..

I am making progress in the gym with what i'm eating now, but i feel it could be better and i will reach a point where i am not eating enough protein for my weight anymore and i will start to lose muscle..

I'm 6'83" and 191lbs right now and around 10-12% bf.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You can rinse the tuna to get out some of the stuff you don't want- just plan ahead for a little prep time. Peanut butter is a cheap source of protein you could use as well.

You could also get a job to support your protein habits
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Eggs are also cheap and good in protein.
    Your best bet would be supplements, money wise. Food is clearly better but if money is a strain I would get some muscle/weight gainer, not to expensive and high in protein but also carbs.
    Eat big. Sleep big. Lift big. Get big.

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    You can rinse the tuna to get out some of the stuff you don't want- just plan ahead for a little prep time. Peanut butter is a cheap source of protein you could use as well.

You could also get a job to support your protein habits
    I'm still a student. And the money i'm making now is to go on vacation or to spend on my expensive girlfriend..as of recently we've been having some trouble tho' so that might save me alot of $$ for food.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

If you shop at the right places and buy the right things, you really can eat big on the cheap.

eggs, chicken, tuna etc. Just buy the cheapest of the cheap if you truly cannot afford much and I see no reason why you can't get your 200g protein per day.

Plus it's about priorities. This may suprise you but I spend over 25% of my income on the gym (mixture of 121 training at a private facility and also main stream gym), food and supplements. I cut out other things so I can afford to do this. Go on a cheaper vacation, ditch the girl or buy her cheaper stuff, hey tell her to go buy her own stuff lol.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Damn you're 6 foot 83 inches that is pretty tall.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Damn thats like 13' tall.
    I am pretty sure at that hight you will need to up your protein intake. :P

Joking aside there are many ways to save money on food, personally I like to visit the local butcher and see what they have on sale or that I can buy in bulk and freeze.

You could get that much protein with $5 a day. Less if you don't mind cooking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    You could get that much protein with $5 a day. Less if you don't mind cooking it.
    Would you mind explaining how? lol I don't have trouble getting my 160 - 180 grams a day but I would still like to know how
    Bodyweight : 195 - Height: 5' 9

Current lifts:
    DL - 490 x 1 - 462 x 4 ... Nearly 500 so close
    BS - 374 x 1 - 330 x 5
    BP - 302 x 1 - 258 x 5, 225 x 10
    BR - 231 x 1 - 209 x 5
    PP - 220 x 1 - 198 x 4

My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=108252&page=3

Get a sharp pointy stick and a lighter.

Kill your own food, start a fire, and cook it up!!!

That would not only be cheap, but it would also be bada**!!!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes View Post
    Damn you're 6 foot 83 inches that is pretty tall.
    No wonder he's having enough trouble eating enough!

Also, this might go against the grain, but depending on your goals and various personal factors you could just try and get extra calories from other macros. Pasta, rice, lentils, pulses, wholemeal bread, butter, cheese, olive oil... all are pretty cheap. They might not be steak but they are cheap high quality calories. It just depends on how your body responds to a higher carb/fat diet

At 6'4 and going from 175lbs to roughly 210lbs I've often eaten less than 210g protein a day and I've still made good progress in strength and size. I think there's two sides to this; depending on who you believe the recommended protein requirement per day is as little as 1.4-1.8g/kg of bodyweight. A study done with strength athletes at a university in Ontario showed no further benefit to the athletes consuming 2.3g/kg over those consuming 1.4g/kg per day. Furthermore, advanced athletes are more efficient at utilising protein and their body is more reluctant to let go of the protein in the muscles (less breakdown) so they may actually require less protein than novice trainers.

In imperial this would all work out as weight = 191/2.2 = 87kg
    Shemz protein needs = (87x1.4) - (87x1.8) = 122g - 157g rounded to nearest whole number.
    Or the standard 1g/lbs of lbm = 191-22.92 = 168g if body-fat = 12% of 191 = 22.92.

All figures are under 180g. However there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that protein intakes exceeding 1g/lb lbm do yield greater benefit. It also seems possible that a macro ratio of higher carbs to protein may result in increased body-fat unless you're an active athlete because of things like insulin response and the thermic effect of protein. This is the other side of the argument. At that point, consuming more protein isn't just about getting enough for muscle growth but also about getting the most calories with the minimum potential fat gain. This is where a body-builder or science type can take over and continue the answer...

Sorry for the long response but I find this interesting. Ultimately, if you are wanting to gain muscle then you could look to other macros. Total calories will be more important that total protein. Again, body-type will determine whether this is optimal for you. As an ectomorph raised on a high-carb diet I can get away with it. I should also add that I've recently worked on increasing protein while lowering calories by using shakes for the first time and switching from red meat to poultry as my main protein source; my recovery seems to be better and my body-fat (I'd hazard a guess at 15%) is decreasing but it's too early to tell real differences.

Also, 180g isn't actually that much. A large shake, three eggs, a tin of tuna, a couple of glasses milk, a few handfuls of nuts and a chicken breast should easily get you above 180g.
    Last edited by J.C.; 07-14-2010 at 07:09 AM.

I eat around 300 grams a day....

too much?????????

and now im eating alot of carbs to try and gain size.

too much???

back on topic yes if you cannot afford food supplements are a must
    Last edited by Luke1081; 07-14-2010 at 07:11 AM.
    -Luke

6'0"
    Im eating like an ANIMAL training like a hell raiser and hoping to be as big as possible...
    I just want the girls to say WOW!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke1081 View Post
    I eat around 300 grams a day....

too much?????????

and now im eating alot of carbs to try and gain size.

too much???
    Not necessarily. When you're young the body just needs MOAR of everything if you want to grow. Sometimes a lot more, but that all comes down to metabolism and the like. Considering you were on a very low-carb diet before, I reckon the extra carbs will do you good. Could you eat less protein? Probably. Will all that protein (and the calories coming from it) help? Probably. If it's working then keep it up, only you know what works for your body.

Milk...'nuff said
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    So I've been told and I've checked the numbers with a 'protein calculator' and i should be getting in around 180 grams a protein.

Now what if you don't have the money or the time to consume 180 grams of protein EVERY day? I also don't get alot of support from my parents, i mean, they'll buy some stuff for me or cook something or whatever, but they also keep saying i shouldn't overexagerate (or however you write that).

Are you destined not to grow then?

I used to buy cheap tuna almost every day, but i just read that isn't all to healthy with all the mercury in it..and if i eat a can i still only got 30grams of protein in..ofcourse i get some more grams here and there and i drink a shake after i worked out, but i can't reach 180 grams EVERY day..on training days yes maybe, but the days in between..

I am making progress in the gym with what i'm eating now, but i feel it could be better and i will reach a point where i am not eating enough protein for my weight anymore and i will start to lose muscle..

I'm 6'83" and 191lbs right now and around 10-12% bf.
    One of the great things about lifting seriously is that it teaches us independence. You have to understand that when you change your lifestyle there may be a little push-back not just from your self but from those who care about you too. It's not because they're jealous or anything like that. It's because your lifestyle becomes different from the norm, and we all know how people react to things that are different.

ďFirst they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.Ē -Ghandi

Thanks alot for the replies guys! They've all been really helpfull! I guess i need to start eating more eggs as well, i was already drinking milk so i suppose i can up that volume some more.

Thanks J.C. for pointing out i need to use my lean mass-weight to calculate my protein needs.!

And i like that Ghandi quote

Wannabebig Member
    Leave it to me to use a quote from a guy who rarely ate to motivate people to eat! lol

Quote Originally Posted by kornmong View Post
    Would you mind explaining how? lol I don't have trouble getting my 160 - 180 grams a day but I would still like to know how
    They sell whole chickens at supermarkets here (rotisserie cooked already) for $4.99.

The average 6 oz chicken breast contains about 50g of protein. These chickens have more than 6oz of Chicken breast. Couple that with eating the entire chicken, and you get your protein intake right then and there.

If you can find bulk food stores (like GFS), you can buy 60 6oz Chicken breasts for $25
    Last edited by Coqui; 07-14-2010 at 08:38 AM.

IMO if you're a student, ditch the expensive girlfriend and EAT!
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by IronDiggy View Post
    IMO if you're a student, ditch the expensive girlfriend and EAT!
    I completely agree. Here is a basic formula with a proven high success rate:

Ditch the girl + Spend extra money on food and supplements + Get Huge + Wear ample amounts of Sex Panther = A way hotter girlfriend

Good Luck!
    Last edited by T FLEX; 07-14-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    If your shins ain't bleeding then it's not a Dead Lift

Stats:
    Start Wt - 138
    Current Wt - 160
    Height - 6'-1"
    My Journal (Pics: Post# 11,17,88,165)
    Hard Gainers Meal Menu
    Progress Pics

Quote Originally Posted by T FLEX View Post

Ditch the girl + Spend extra money on food and supplements + Get Huge + Wear ample amounts of Sex Panther = A way hotter girlfriend

Good Luck!
    60% of the time it works every time.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    You do not have to spend a lot of money to meet your calorie/protein needs; I would purchase eggs, milk, protein powder, and tuna.

For $5-7/day you can easily reach your 150-180 gram goal.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T FLEX View Post

Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    60% of the time it works every time.
    soooo true...

Your title is "Eating to get big", when I see that my first response is making sure you are getting enough calories. You could eat 300 grams of protein a day, but if you aren't in a caloric surplus you aren't going to be putting on a lot of size. Figure out how many calories you need to take in for a day and atleast make sure you are getting near that goal. Track what you eat via fitday.com if you have to.

Second to hitting you calorie goals then I would worry about trying to get in adequate protein for the day. As has been mentioned in other threads, the standard american diet has a decent amout of protein in it, so not supplementing for it is not the end of the world. However it is more beneficial to have a goal of what you should be taking in every day and then coming up with a plan to hit that.

Two cheap foods to use for protein consumption are ground beef and milk. You can usually find both of those on sale. Ground beef is an excellent source of protein, tastes good, and you can buy it in fairly large quatities. Other options are eggs, peanut butter, chicken breasts, turkey,

Again the more important things imo are making sure you are hitting you calorie goals and eating whole foods, then I'd worry about protein consumption.

If you visit a lot of Vegan Body Building sites, they get away with around .08 - 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. That would put you at a minimum of 150 grams of protein, certainly not hard to hit that.

JMHO.

Here's another way: mcdonalds mcchickens are 14g of protein, 360 cals each. $.99 each. Id go with chicken breast but these little bastards are great for size gains.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method