The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Why am I so sore?

After my leg day on Monday I've had serious DOMS. I'm on my second cycle of HCT-12 so I should be used to it by now. I started off too light, so it's taken me a while to get up to challenging weights but still.

My quads were sore the evening of the workout, only an hour or two later; which I thought at the time was a bit unusual. It normally takes a day or two to kick in. All yesterday I was sore. This morning I woke up and my , hamstring, glutes and especially my adductors were real sore and tired. I literally hobbled out of bed. I tried to run to the gym this evening but had to settle for a walk.

So... what might have caused this? What factors can increase doms?

The only things I can think of are dehydration or eating less fruit and veg than usual. It's been really hot here and I was out all day, not drinking as much water as usual. I also ran out of fruit and vegetables and didn't restock on the weekend.

Could mild dehydration really cause that much DOMS or was I just squatting deep that day?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I've been lifting consistenly now for almost 2 years, and I still get doms from time to time. In fact, my traps and hams are beat to hell right now. Hopefully I can talk the misses into a massage tonight.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

It's the 20 reppers catching up to you
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

J.C. have you tried ETS? I really think you'd notice a big improvement in DOMS if you tried it.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

It could be any number of things - dehydration, a dip in your diet, sleep affected due to the hot weather. How's your upper body coping? It could just be what OR suggested or a combination of all of the above.

Ignore the upper body question and well done. Also view the soreness as a blip a combination of the factors above.
    Last edited by Daniel Roberts; 07-15-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Just read your journal

Banned
    Thanks, I think it might be a combination of all those things. Monday was actually a standard 6+2+2+2 workout not 20 reps.

I think Daniel Roberts might have it right by saying it's a combination of several things. I've had insomnia lately so I hadn't been sleeping much the days before the workout. I've actually slept better the days since because I cracked and resorted to sleeping pills, but maybe I had a sleep debt to be repaid or something.

Yeah, maybe just a lack of sleep, less water than normal, and a slightly worse diet all caught up with me this one time.

My upper-body is fine. This was really just a one-off. I haven't had doms this severe for ages so I'm attributing it to all those factors coming together.

Sounds like the perfect storm.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

All I know is, I took thurs and friday of last week off... and I haven't had this much DOMS from Mon/Tues workout since I STARTED working out.

Taking breaks makes me way sore

You didn't take some time off did ya? hehe