Thread: Why am I so sore?

Banned

Why am I so sore?

After my leg day on Monday I've had serious DOMS. I'm on my second cycle of HCT-12 so I should be used to it by now. I started off too light, so it's taken me a while to get up to challenging weights but still.

My quads were sore the evening of the workout, only an hour or two later; which I thought at the time was a bit unusual. It normally takes a day or two to kick in. All yesterday I was sore. This morning I woke up and my , hamstring, glutes and especially my adductors were real sore and tired. I literally hobbled out of bed. I tried to run to the gym this evening but had to settle for a walk.

So... what might have caused this? What factors can increase doms?

The only things I can think of are dehydration or eating less fruit and veg than usual. It's been really hot here and I was out all day, not drinking as much water as usual. I also ran out of fruit and vegetables and didn't restock on the weekend.

Could mild dehydration really cause that much DOMS or was I just squatting deep that day?

I've been lifting consistenly now for almost 2 years, and I still get doms from time to time. In fact, my traps and hams are beat to hell right now. Hopefully I can talk the misses into a massage tonight.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

It's the 20 reppers catching up to you
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

J.C. have you tried ETS? I really think you'd notice a big improvement in DOMS if you tried it.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

It could be any number of things - dehydration, a dip in your diet, sleep affected due to the hot weather. How's your upper body coping? It could just be what OR suggested or a combination of all of the above.

Ignore the upper body question and well done. Also view the soreness as a blip a combination of the factors above.
    Last edited by Daniel Roberts; 07-15-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Just read your journal

Banned
    Thanks, I think it might be a combination of all those things. Monday was actually a standard 6+2+2+2 workout not 20 reps.

I think Daniel Roberts might have it right by saying it's a combination of several things. I've had insomnia lately so I hadn't been sleeping much the days before the workout. I've actually slept better the days since because I cracked and resorted to sleeping pills, but maybe I had a sleep debt to be repaid or something.

Yeah, maybe just a lack of sleep, less water than normal, and a slightly worse diet all caught up with me this one time.

My upper-body is fine. This was really just a one-off. I haven't had doms this severe for ages so I'm attributing it to all those factors coming together.

Sounds like the perfect storm.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

All I know is, I took thurs and friday of last week off... and I haven't had this much DOMS from Mon/Tues workout since I STARTED working out.

Taking breaks makes me way sore

You didn't take some time off did ya? hehe