The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

NEWSLETTER ARTICLE - Lift Like You Mean It

By Riley Bestwick

As I was walking through the gym yesterday, I saw a group of guys doing squats. (Since I work at a major gym chain, this was a very rare sight. Most people are on the Smith machines, you know?)

I watched them do a few sets and, while I was stoked they were doing squats, I was a bit pissed off that they were just going through the motions. One guy was even having a conversation with his friend while he was squatting.

I didn’t want to make these guys feel uncomfortable, so I walked away and didn't say anything. But now I kinda wish I would've. Maybe something like:

"Listen, weightlifting is supposed to be hard. You can't talk about what chick you're hoping to nail tonight while you're under a bar. If you can talk when lifting, the weight isn't nearly heavy enough.

Do you even know how to build muscle? You must cause micro-trauma to your muscles in the gym, go home, eat, sleep, and let them recover. But your muscles aren't going to grow by doing what you're doing. You're not even challenging yourself. Aside from burning a few measly calories, you're wasting your time.

The next time you come in here, I want you to be serious. I want you to bring an iPod with the kind of songs your mother would faint if she heard you playing. But most importantly, I want you to lift like you mean it. Pick the hardest exercises that give you the most bang for your buck—deadlifts, squats, bench presses, chin-ups, rows—load them up with heavy weight, and work your ass off.

You should be breathing heavy. You should be using perfect form. You should be gaining some freakin' muscle.

You already have a few training partners. That's good. Now hold each other accountable. Does your friend want to gain ten pounds of muscle? Keep him honest. Make sure he's lifting hard and eating big. And make sure he's doing the same for you. You can't build a great body by half-assing your workouts.

Now get out of my squat rack."

Now, maybe I didn't say it to the guys at my gym, but I bet we could all use a little reminder of what we're trying to accomplish when we get under the bar. To build a badass, muscular, lean body, we need to focus and lift like we mean it.

Anything else is a waste of time.

Lift Like You Mean It

------------------

This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - July 15th, 2010

You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good stuff!! This is what is missing in most peoples workout, Intensity!!! Yoiu can have the best program but if your efforts are poor then it will do nothing, you can have the worst program but if you train your ass off you'll still get some results.

When I switch from the main stream gym to a private facility, I realized I was guilty of this. Taking too long in between sets, talking too much, going through the motions.

At the private facility they had be doing super sets with time rest periods and pushed me hard - I never realised you had to sweat on a weights workout
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

The problem is that you just can't teach somebody to use hard effort. They just want to fall back on what's comfortable. I was trying to help a guy in the journal section, but he just kept using the same weights week after week and just never pushed himself. Sure, there would be a push for a couple of weeks, but then he'd fall back to the comfortable weights. I finally gave up.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif