Thread: shin splints

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

shin splints

ive been running alot and i was wondering if there is anything other than iceing, surgery to do to help rid the pain of skin splints. or can anyone offer any skin streches.

First off I think the biggest improvement you could make would be to go to a store specialized in running and get them to check your feet/gait out and buy a pair of shoes specifically for running. This from my personal experience is the biggest step you can take towards avoiding pain or injury. If that doesn't eliminate all the pain you could get referred to a doctor that makes custom orthotics which go into your shoe.

Also working the small muscle along your shinbone can help as well...it is flexed when you raise your toes towards your knees...so you could do that buy walking around on your heels when yer at home for a few minutes every day...or putting weight on your toes and doing toe raises...etc...

Iceing is good to do afterwards if the pain is there though...but go get a good pair of shoes and you'll see how much difference it makes.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Banned
    this site has some not-bad suggestions for dealing with shin splints

http://www.meriter.com/living/librar...ts/splints.htm

And there's some more info about it here:

http://www.ucls.uchicago.edu/Activit...n_splints.html

and here:
    http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_13_4_6.htm

I used to get them something fierce, but I got orthotics, improved my stretching and strengthened my legs, which seemed to help a LOT. I also avoid running on pavement if at all possible... I run in the park and/or on dirt whenever I can.

Often orthotics can be covered by your health plan -- check with your health plan provider.

Cal

P.S. Elpietro is right about the shoes; I changed from crappy x-trainers to 'real' running shoes and it made a difference too... the only down side is that running shoes supposedly 'wear out' after 500 miles or so of running/walking in 'em. This can get expensive after a while of running... but relief from pain is worth it, IMHO.
    Last edited by Relentless; 05-10-2002 at 10:26 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    well i went to a specialty shoe store and i got some good running shoes, but i also play soccer and i run in clets. after games and practice sometimes it feels like i cant even walk it hurts so bad.

maybe just take things a bit slower? if you are doing too much running at once you may not be getting enough time to heal...maybe instead of running one day just go for a walk to give your body a break but still get some exercise...
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Shin splints are usually caused by improper cushioning, running too much on hard surfaces (like concrete), increasing running volume too quickly, and sometimes muscle tightness (calves and shins).

Like the others said, good shoes, taking a break from impact exercises for a bit, icing, will help the problem subside. To prevent it from happening again, increase mileage slowly (the rule of thumb is a max. of 10% more each week), run on dirt or grass rather than asphalt or concrete, ice afterwards, and rotate running with some other non-impact cardio.

If you're icing, a bag of frozen corn or peas is great! You can drape/wrap it to your shin shape and then refreeze for next time.

Good luck!

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

I found that working on the strengthening aspect of my shins help tremendously with my shin splints.

Continuously Dangerously
    i ran on the treadmill this winter and never got them. now that the weather has been decent i ran on the track and got them pretty bad. why does that cause them but the treadmill does not?

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    The treadmill has more "spring"....it's designed with shock absorbing properties. Also, running on the treadmill is less work than running on a stationary surface because the "ground" is moving away under you and you don't have to push off as hard...it's that relative velocity thing.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

Wannabebig Member
    iceRgrrl thanks for the links they were very informative. although i find it kinda hard to stop running because im playing soccer, but do u have any streches?

1) Stand like a flamingo with one foot off the ground, beneath your behind. Reach behind your back and pull that foot up like you're trying to pull it up behind your back, up toward your head.

2) Sit on the ground with your legs under you, with your feet behind you. Have your legs spread far enough that your behind can rest on the ground, between your legs.

Miss your old avatar.
    Last edited by Delphi; 05-11-2002 at 03:18 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Delphi
    [B]1) Stand like a flamingo with one foot off the ground, beneath your behind. Reach behind your back and pull that foot up like you're trying to pull it up behind your back, up toward your head.

i heard that this is really bad for ur knees.

It actually helps with knee pain if you have patellar-femoral syndrome. It stretches the patellar tendon, which helps the patella track correctly over the knee's condyles. It doesn't damage the knee itself. The reason I mentioned it here is because it also stretches the muscles in the anterior compartment of the leg (shin).

Amazing trivia fact: The leg technically only refers to the part of the lower extremity from the ankle to the knee. The thigh is from the knee to the hip. Lower extremity refers to the whole thing. Many of you will be able to sleep better at night knowing this.

Originally posted by Delphi
    It actually helps with knee pain if you have patellar-femoral syndrome. It stretches the patellar tendon, which helps the patella track correctly over the knee's condyles.
    *** A tendon can't be stretched so how is it that this stretch targets the patellar tendon? Well technically it can but it will only cause damage.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Good point. So what is it that the stretching exercise does to allow the patella to track in its groove better? Are there contractile elements in the tendon as well? I'm going mainly on what an orthopod told me when I was having knee problems when I was a resident, here.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Delphi
    [B]So what is it that the stretching exercise does to allow the patella to track in its groove better?

*** Well I wouldn't be able to say at this point because I would be giving a general answer to something that could be (and is) most likely a complex problem.

Are there contractile elements in the tendon as well? I'm going mainly on what an orthopod told me when I was having knee problems when I was a resident, here.

*** No there are none. Tendons are non elastic tissues which mean they don't carry the protein elastin. This protein allows for the stretching of certain soft tissues.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I meant in the patellar tendon specifically, not tendons in general. I was thinkin gat the time that the term tendon could be a misnomer for this particular area. Then I looked at my patella and tried to move it. Can't really do it, except by contracting the quads. I guess this particular stretch works by altering the vector of the quadriceps muscles' pull on the patella from above. From what I remember of P-F syndrome the patella tracks too far laterally.