Thread: Do I weigh too little?

Wannabebig New Member

Do I weigh too little?

I am 17 Years old and I only weigh 118-120 lbs. I workout every second day, and I take weight gainer/protein and creatine. I guess this should give me enough daily calories with all my other daily meals. Even after taking half the bucket, I only gained a pound or so. Why is it so hard for me to gain weight?

How tall are you? Alot of people when starting out (including myself) think that by simply taking protein powder or a weight gainer they will gain weight but if your still not consuming more calories than your manitnenace level you wont. Check out some of the articles in the diet and nutrition section they should give you a better idea. http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...and-strength/# http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...tion-or-is-it/
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Banned
    Read this: http://atlargenutrition.com/gainingmass.php

You find it so hard to gain weight because you aren't eating enough. You might think you are, but you're not. That's why you're skinny.

Start drinking up to a gallon of milk a day and follow the starting strength program (it's in the stickys) and you WILL gain mass.

You find it so hard to gain weight because you aren't eating enough. You might think you are, but you're not. That's why you're skinny.
    This.

I'll repeat it again because some of the skinny guys are always insistent that they are eating enough, when they really aren't. Eat food, and when you think you're full, eat some more. If you're trying to gain weight there shouldn't be any part of the day where you're hungry. If you're not at home make sure you pack something to eat so you're always filling your body with calories. Also, make sure you're eating before you workout and right after as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TornTech View Post
    I guess this should give me enough daily calories with all my other daily meals.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but...

If you are not gaining weight, you are not eating enough calories. If you were eating enough calories to gain weight... you would be gaining weight!

The other thing I would add to what others have said is that you may have to train yourself to eat. For example, right now you might feel "stuffed" after eating only 400 calories in a sitting. But if you gradually increase the amount you're eating, it will become easier and easier to pack away the amount of food you need to gain weight.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by Chris407; 07-18-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    I knew the replies I would get would be about eating more. I think that is one of my problems. I just can't eat a lot. I will eat a bit, and then I will be full. Once I am full, I can't eat anything else. I feel like I just can't eat anything else, and If I do I might vomit. I am hardly able to take the two scoops of my weight gainer. I just have too little of a stomach and that's not my fault.

And I am 5'7". So I am not very tall, but even for my height I don't weigh a lot.

Even after working out for a while, I feel like I might be gaining some muscle, but it doesn't show up on the scale
    Last edited by TornTech; 07-18-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Banned
    If you diligently follow the starting strength program - a simple, progressive, strength training program - not only will you get stronger but it will usually increase the appetite. Hard work on squats and deadlifts will make you hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    a simple, progressive, strength training program - not only will you get stronger but it will usually increase the appetite. Hard work on squats and deadlifts will make you hungry.
    There's your answer right there. Might even try out a 20 rep squat program, nothing trains the appetite like 20 rep squats.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I knew the replies I would get would be about eating more. I think that is one of my problems. I just can't eat a lot. I will eat a bit, and then I will be full. Once I am full, I can't eat anything else. I feel like I just can't eat anything else, and If I do I might vomit. I am hardly able to take the two scoops of my weight gainer. I just have too little of a stomach and that's not my fault.
    This is what I meant about having to "train yourself to eat." Lifting weights isn't easy, but if you stick with it you'll make progress. The same is true with eating big. Your appetite is too small right now, but if you work on eating more and more it will grow.

You can also choose more calorie dense foods.

Quote Originally Posted by seK View Post
    You can also choose more calorie dense foods.
    Good advice, too. After each meal/shake, eat a handful of nuts. They don't take up much room in your stomach, but a handful can have 300cal. Do that 3 times a day and that's 900 cals.

Or just eat more junk food

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris407 View Post
    Or just eat more junk food
    Haha only if that would help me gain weight....

And I don't have a squat rack to do squats. I do almost all my exercises on my machine, which is the inspire m3. And I also have another stand to do bench presses.

So I guess I need to train my self to eat... which is going to be the hard part.

Haha only if that would help me gain weight....

And I don't have a squat rack to do squats. I do almost all my exercises on my machine, which is the inspire m3. And I also have another stand to do bench presses.

So I guess I need to train my self to eat... which is going to be the hard part.
    Dirty Bulking is pretty damn fun.

You can do squats without a rack, it’s not preferred but it is possible.

Wannabebig Member wreckinthangs''s Avatar
    i was in the same boat as you, i was 5'7 115 pounds when i was 18. i thought i was eating enough also, i wasnt. when i finally started to lift right and eat right it came. i did the starting strength routine and put myself in a food coma every chance possible. dont get discouraged if it dosnt come in a month, because it wont just be consistent and it will come over time.

Eating more can be tuff. Try olive oil, whole milk, peanut butter, etc. They pack tons of nutrient rich calories. Also stick with shakes. Liquids are easier than solids

Sometimes I wish I had this problem, it would be great to just constantly eat things and never gain any fat at all. But I guess it has drawbacks as well. I can only suggest peanuts, peanut butter, 2% milk, cheese, and hamburgers. Those are my usual protein foods, also whole grain bread and deli meat but that other stuff has a buttload of fat in it too, guess you might need it...

Codeguru