The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Cheat meals

Hybrid View

Cheat meals

When is the best time to have a cheat meal? I am trying to work out my diet. I have been following my program on the weekdays and cheating on the weekend. I'm just trying to pretty much maintain now. The biggest problem with this is that I feel like crap most of the weekend. So I'm trying to figure out a new plan.

When I was working with Shelby, he'd have me take my cheat meals after a workout. I was wondering if I'd be better off having a cheat meal after each of my 4 workouts instead of blowing up the whole weekend. I think my cheat meals would be a little more subdued this way and definitely better planned. Short of my shakes, the weekends have been a complete free for all.

Actually, now that I have thought about it for a few minutes I'd probably keep it down to 3 meals a week. My Friday night workout is not over until late and then it's about a 40 minute drive. By the time I get home, I just want to sleep. i'll just continue to bring a pwo meal to the gym in tupperware.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-18-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I save my cheat meals for the weekends as I usually end up drinking as well. During the week I am able to keep a better routine with work and such.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

As far as when to cheat I find it better to implement them on a day off while you are resting and recovering. I never agreed with eating less on off days as that is when you body is growing and needs the nutrients. Also it is definitley better to have your cheat meals planned and not just binge on food randomly. This will keep you in control and not let the food control you.

Another thing is don't focus to much on the cheat meal becauseing doing so takes away from a lifestyle you chose and it says the food is controlling you. When you cheat enjoy it and don't think too much about it then go right back to your typical nutrition plan.

Here is a quote that serves many well, its the Capital "S" directive:

No Snacks, No Seconds, No Sweets, No Sugars, No Supersizing, except one day of the week that starts with S!
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 07-19-2010 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    As far as when to cheat I find it better to implement them on a day off while you are resting and recovering.

Another thing is don't focus to much on the cheat meal becauseing doing so takes away from a lifestyle you chose and it says the food is controlling you.
    Yes...100% yes.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I wannabebig!
    why not just have one wherever it lands instead of planning one?

for example if you planned it on a friday and have one... then your buddies call you up on saturday to go grub you won't be having back to back "cheats." If something social doesn't happen that week you can just either skip it all together or just have one when you feel you really need it. (cravings uncontrollable)

there is no real physiological importance of a cheat meal, so have one when you need a mental break away from dieting.

Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    why not just have one wherever it lands instead of planning one?

for example if you planned it on a friday and have one... then your buddies call you up on saturday to go grub you won't be having back to back "cheats." If something social doesn't happen that week you can just either skip it all together or just have one when you feel you really need it. (cravings uncontrollable)

there is no real physiological importance of a cheat meal, so have one when you need a mental break away from dieting.
    You can have whenever as long as its not just uncontrolled and you just grab food and eat it. Again it comes down to ones mindset and approach.

There can absolutely be a physiological need to have a cheat or what i call a re-feed meal, especially when dieting to get lean or As I have do on the Cycle diet.

Thanks guys. I like your quote Allen. I have found over the years and especially recently, I need more structure than ever on the weekends. There are actually weekends where I am cheating, but actually eating less calories. My life revolves around eating, training, and recuperating (which I like by the way). So when I lose focus, I could go the better part of a day without eating and that's not good.

Wen I say cheat I don't want it to be a free for all anymore with fast food crap. I am going to really try to put down some higher quality meals than what my past cheat meals have been. I am going to eat these after training. A sample meal might be a few baked breaded pork chops, some apple sauce, a couple cups of a flavored rice, with maybe a coke or two or a candy bar. I really feel like this will work better for me.

So for maintenance I am going to try 3 high carb days which will include a cheat meal after my training, 3 medium days one of which will be a training day, and one low day. On the three non training days i am going to hit the treadmill for 25 minutes of hiit. I might throw one conditioning workout in there also consisting of prowler work or strongman medley stuff. I'll be starting this the second week of August when I get back from vacation. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for the advice even though I clearly did not listen to any of you. I must be a total d1ck. I ask for advice and then completely disregard it. Seriously, I'll be curious as to what you guys think about my plan.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 07-19-2010 at 02:13 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

The more depleted you are the better. IMO a cheat/binge/refeed whatever will have nearly no negative effect if One - you are extremely depleted. Two - it has a timeframe rather than a calorie frame, basically just keep it to a meal, not multiple ones strung together becoming a cheat day. And Three: lipids are very limited, protein too but to a lesser degree.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

I think I would plan my cheat meals after training as well. Psychologically I would think I was doing "less damage" that way, even if it really didn't make that big a difference. Often I think the biggest factor in this whole thing is knowing yourself and knowing when and how much you can have without putting yourself into a tailspin for several days or weeks.

Wannabebig Member
    It doesn't help when eating junk food really gives you the craving for more junkfood later. Is that something in the brain that junk food causes a release of that makes you crave more junk?

Usually when I eat a "cheat meal" I replace one of my meals calorie per calorie. I eat a piece of pie, 350 calories. That's more than a meal for me considering I eat 8 times a day. Maybe I shouldn't be one to talk since I'm still on the losing side of the diet, not maintaining. Anyway, I say feed the cravings. Don't schedule a vice, or you might end up forcing yourself back onto the losing side again...

CodeguruX
    Last edited by Codeguru; 07-22-2010 at 05:30 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    What's your rationale for placing cheat meals or refeeds on days off? If you're gonna eat more calories then doing so on lifting days will at least keep better partitioning while allowing you to eat the junk.

Yes your muscle are growing on off days but that doesn't mean they don't grow on training days or that concentrating calories around training won't enhance recovery. If there is ever a time to cheat I'd say do it right after a workout to minimize the damage / actually get some improvement out of it. Around training is when your body needs calories the most.

Vin, what do you consider a high, med, and low carb day?

Some great info on this thread.

Oh also, the other reason I prefer to take lumps of time off is because for me at least one cheat meals always seems to turn into 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. Once I start I find it hard to stop.

Therefore an approach of a set period of time VERY clean and then a small set period (say a day) of whatever you want) works better because by the time the end of the day is up, I am ready to be good again.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal