Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: need help with plateau

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    24

    need help with plateau

    hey everyone i need help with a bench plateau. just some background info... im 20 years old, 174lbs, been lifting for around 2 years. i used hct-12 for about 6 weeks until i injured my hips doing squats(think i was going to heavy). i switched to a routine i slightly modified from atlargenutrition because it incorporated squats of 10 reps which i was able to lighten the weight and recover my hips. heres the routine ive been following for about 6 weeks.

    Monday

    Bench Press: 5 sets x 5 reps
    Weighted Dips: 3 sets x 10 reps
    Skull Crushers: 3 sets x 8 reps
    Calf Raises: 2 sets x 20 reps
    Full Squats: 3 sets x 10 reps

    Tuesday

    T-bar Rows: 3 sets x 6 reps
    Dumbbell Shoulder Presses: 2 sets x 6 reps
    Barbell Curls: 3 sets x 8 reps
    abs

    Thursday

    DB Bench Press: 3 sets x 8 reps
    Incline Press: 3 sets x 8 reps
    Skull Crushers: 3 sets x 8 reps
    Deadlifts: 3 sets x 3 reps
    Calf Raises: 2 sets x 20 reps

    Friday

    weighted Wide Grip Chins: 2 sets x as many as possible
    weighted Curl Grip Chins: 2 sets x as many as possible
    Dumbbell Shoulder Presses: 3 sets x 8 reps
    Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 3 sets x 8 reps
    abs

    so far i have progressed with 5X5 bench weekly starting with 180lbs and increasing 5lbs weekly until i failed two weeks ago with 205. i was able to do 5,5,5,4,3. i failed again tonight with 205 for 5,5,3,4,3. my diet is not perfect but i try my best. i shoot for around 4000 cals/day but sometimes only make about 3500. i use pro complex gainer postworkout and use 5 grams creatine daily. i also wonder if cutting milk from my diet has caused this plateau( it makes me break out with acne all over my chest and shoulders!) any suggestions are welcome and if any other info is needed please ask! thanks

  2. #2
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    24
    is everyone as stumped as i am?

  3. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14
    Have you ever looked into Jim Wendler's 5/3/1, Joe Defrancos WS4SB or any of Zach Even-Esh's programs?

    What are your goals exactly? If your goal is to increase your bench press cut out the calf raises and full squats out on Monday. Are you rotating your max effort bench press on Mondays? You may want to try floor press, close grip, board press or incline press. Give me some more info and I will be happy to help you out!

    Quote Originally Posted by alphagoose View Post
    hey everyone i need help with a bench plateau. just some background info... im 20 years old, 174lbs, been lifting for around 2 years. i used hct-12 for about 6 weeks until i injured my hips doing squats(think i was going to heavy). i switched to a routine i slightly modified from atlargenutrition because it incorporated squats of 10 reps which i was able to lighten the weight and recover my hips. heres the routine ive been following for about 6 weeks.

    Monday

    Bench Press: 5 sets x 5 reps
    Weighted Dips: 3 sets x 10 reps
    Skull Crushers: 3 sets x 8 reps
    Calf Raises: 2 sets x 20 reps
    Full Squats: 3 sets x 10 reps

    Tuesday

    T-bar Rows: 3 sets x 6 reps
    Dumbbell Shoulder Presses: 2 sets x 6 reps
    Barbell Curls: 3 sets x 8 reps
    abs

    Thursday

    DB Bench Press: 3 sets x 8 reps
    Incline Press: 3 sets x 8 reps
    Skull Crushers: 3 sets x 8 reps
    Deadlifts: 3 sets x 3 reps
    Calf Raises: 2 sets x 20 reps

    Friday

    weighted Wide Grip Chins: 2 sets x as many as possible
    weighted Curl Grip Chins: 2 sets x as many as possible
    Dumbbell Shoulder Presses: 3 sets x 8 reps
    Dumbbell Hammer Curls: 3 sets x 8 reps
    abs

    so far i have progressed with 5X5 bench weekly starting with 180lbs and increasing 5lbs weekly until i failed two weeks ago with 205. i was able to do 5,5,5,4,3. i failed again tonight with 205 for 5,5,3,4,3. my diet is not perfect but i try my best. i shoot for around 4000 cals/day but sometimes only make about 3500. i use pro complex gainer postworkout and use 5 grams creatine daily. i also wonder if cutting milk from my diet has caused this plateau( it makes me break out with acne all over my chest and shoulders!) any suggestions are welcome and if any other info is needed please ask! thanks

  4. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    24
    thank you! yes i have tried 5/3/1 but each muscle once a week has never worked for me. ive looked into wsfsb but wasnt too sure about it because it was very broad with the exercise selection. my goals are to become stronger in all of the major lifts. not in the dead or squat at this moment as i am trying to heal my hips but in the future i will. i would also like to gain a few pounds
    Last edited by alphagoose; 07-19-2010 at 10:47 PM.

  5. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14
    Check out these two sample programs that I have personally made:

    http://megliofitness.com/category/strength-training/

    http://articles.elitefts.com/article...trong-as-hell/

    Let me know what you think. If you want to give one of these a shot, let me know and I'll see what else I can do to help you out brotha!


    Quote Originally Posted by alphagoose View Post
    thank you! yes i have tried 5/3/1 but each muscle once a week has never worked for me. ive looked into wsfsb but wasnt too sure about it because it was very broad with the exercise selection. my goals are to become stronger in all of the major lifts. not in the dead or squat at this moment as i am trying to heal my hips but in the future i will. i would also like to gain a few pounds

  6. #6
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    24
    you seem to be a big believer in westside. could u help me put together a program? or even just a way to modify my current routine
    Last edited by alphagoose; 07-19-2010 at 11:01 PM.

  7. #7
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    Quote Originally Posted by alphagoose View Post
    thank you! yes i have tried 5/3/1 but each muscle once a week has never worked for me.
    If you are setting up your assistance exercises correctly, you would be hitting your muscles twice a week with 5/3/1.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  8. #8
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    24
    one thing i really liked about 5/3/1 is that all the weights were set up for you. there was no guesswork. the spreadsheet i had was OH press on monday, DL on tuesday, bench on thursday, and squat on friday. i know most 5/3/1 workouts only use 3 workouts per week though. could you help me find a 5/3/1 routine that would hit each muscle twice a week?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,099
    5/3/1 can easily be done 4 days per week. Remember their is huge overlap in the muscles used with the SQ and DL so most of the muscles used get worked twice a week. The same thing goes for the BP and OHP. The program is alot more than a spreadsheet though. You need to understand the entire program and how to tailor the assistance work to what your goals are. If you are actually going to do 5/3/1 I would recommend you buy the book.
    Last edited by Sean S; 07-20-2010 at 10:10 AM.

  10. #10
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    24
    yea i understand the legs are worked twice. once by DL and once by squats.. i think thats perfect. i guess i just struggled to set up the accessory exercises correctly. would u recommend the ebook or the actual book?

  11. #11
    Squat Heavy, Squat Often Cards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,937
    I know you said you're eatting 3.5 to 4k calories a day. Eat more, rest properly. Eattng is the hardest part of training IMO, maybe tied with rest.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

    “Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

  12. #12
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    I know you said you're eatting 3.5 to 4k calories a day. Eat more, rest properly. Eattng is the hardest part of training IMO, maybe tied with rest.
    yea could have something do do with cutting milk from my diet...it probably added another 5-600 cals a day for me

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,099
    Quote Originally Posted by alphagoose View Post
    yea i understand the legs are worked twice. once by DL and once by squats.. i think thats perfect. i guess i just struggled to set up the accessory exercises correctly. would u recommend the ebook or the actual book?
    The e-book and actual hard copy are the same, so it doesn't really matter. I got the e-book just so I wouldn't have to wait for or pay for shipping.

Similar Threads

  1. Help with plateau
    By Norman101 in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 08:12 PM
  2. Plateau
    By HeavyJae in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 12:42 PM
  3. plateau for 1 yr
    By dtshen in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-21-2006, 05:03 PM
  4. Plateau
    By DelveyBoy in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2002, 01:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •