The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High School... how significant is it?

I read an article today in our school's website while i was bored in the library..... It was basically a summary of the "high school experience" and its meaning.
    the particular statement in the article that made me ponder this question was something along the lines of "Don't leave your High School with any regrets, because if you do, i promise your life will be incomplete."

When i Look back on the last four years of my life, I realize i don't have very many fond memories. High School was basically a struggle. At home, at school....etc..
    Its only now that i've been able to break out of my coccoon of depression and begin to experience happiness and think positively. Still, the majority of my HS memories are regrets.
    I wish i would have done the things i didn't, and avoided some of the things i did...

Is high school supposed to be as "good as it gets"?
    The way some people are talking, it seems that there could never be a substitute for the "High school experience"... my opinion is that they just haven't been ambitious in enough in their real lives...

what do you guys think?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    From what I've seen and experienced, the people who think high school was the best experience, as good as it gets, were the ones for whom that was the peak of their lives and the rest was sort of downhill from there.

A lot of people who weren't happy/didn't like/didn't fit in in high school come into their own later in life and look back on high school as just something to be endured before they blossomed in their own right.

I fall into the latter category. High school was a big pain in the butt and I would never go back to that time if I could. My life began when I went off to university...
    Last edited by IceRgrrl; 05-10-2002 at 12:49 PM.

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

I agree with your statement from your last paragraph. People who say things like "Those were the days." Are probably not living their lives to the fullest currently.

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

IMO high school is mostly a social experience. I did not learn a signifigant amount more than i did in mid school except about the social aspects of life and how people are. All i did through HS was check out which ever gurl i thought looked hot that day and did my homework in class while the teacher was talking. IMO high school is a waste of time........i wish i was home schooled
    -deFenDeRs oF thE unDerRateD

If it doesnt make dollars, then it doesnt make sense

I never knew how skinny I was untill I started gaining a little weight

i can't remember high school. i did get a diploma tho, so apparently i did go.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

well i am in high school right now and i think it is good. although many people are depressed and have stress and issues, it can still be fun. i can have a job if i want during the year, but i dont have to. and i can go to fun parties, or read long novels and study.. or i could do both.
    if you have the right friends, it can be a lot of fun. i know i have hard times sometimes, and i also know if my friends werent around to joke with, i would be even worse off right now.
    i might not remember who was the prime minister of this place in 1923, and i also might not remember how to find the projectile motion of a ball thrown from a 10 meters high building.. but i will remember the embarassing times in the lockeroom after swimming class changing in front of all those other girls. and yea there is a lot of things that wont be in "real life" but i have a house with my parents.. i dont have to pay taxes really.. i dont have to pay rent.. and i get my own food and everything is right here for me so i dunno
    Our Journal!
    R.I.P Devie

well i think that High school rocks, but it really depends on the crowd you hang with and which school you go to! But i believe that the real fun is still to come...i'm looking forward to college...

Ecoli die
    Ahhh, High school. Pretty sure I went to high school some days. Most of them I think I was in the park smoking pot.

Lets see, you still don't have any real idea how to interact with other people. You have no clue what the rest of life will be like. Your hormones are so out of whack that spring bonners in the middle of a lecture about the pythagorean theory.

Just wait, life keeps getting better and better. As you move to college or work and then forward with your life, sex becomes an easy thing to get if you want it, friends have real meaning and you realize just how much there is in the world for you to experience.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

well, im not much the type that "blossoms in hs" i guess.
    I dont care much about my fellow students and im not too popular and dont much desire to be.

In 4 years of high school ive made perhaps 2 or 3 real friends, I guess that they are worth a lot, but im not the movie type that is friends with everybody but some enemies.

i guess theres only 2 main "social" times ive got from there which were when i threw parties in summer at my house, which was great, I had like 15 people over who all got along so well and we all just slept over and went swimming at the beach at 3 am and crazy **** like that. its different now i could never get together 15 people who all get along and dont fight or act arrogant.... we were 14/15 then.

I guess the whole hs dating thing is typical for hs for many peeps but im yet to find a girl i really like who really likes me.
    every time i think i find an intelligent, good looking confident girl im interested in shell act 110% uninterested in whatever i say to her and piss me off. whenever one likes me theyre like 14 yrs old or so and im not like cent i dont bang those ones.

Do remember that HS in europe particularly the program im in is a lot heavier than what you us peeps do. just being a bb, a basketball player and a student fills practically all of my time. whenever i feel like something else or get tired of it id see some friends do some **** or go party but usually not.

I also live like 12 miles away from all my friends, while they all live practically on the same block, so i cant just drop by or whatever, dont have a car yet

Originally posted by Tiare
    Your hormones are so out of whack that spring bonners in the middle of a lecture about the pythagorean theory.
    aaaah I can relate to this

lol i always get them in math

white trash goes north WilliamX's Avatar
    If i could I'd probably go back there and shoot everybody including teachers and my parents, my life is a waiting game how much i can take before enough is enough, and I'm not afraid to die.
    ogrish.com

Dead Sexy Member
    lol

Anyway, I loved high school.

I think it definitely helps shape your life.

The one and only thing that I enjoy at my school are checking out the beautiful girls. The only thing that I will regret is the fact that I never had the balls to talk to them. I could seriously care less about everyone else. Life will move on for me, and I'll learn many more things out of highschoool.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

my hs is 6 years. im now nearing the end of the fourth.

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Originally posted by Reinier
    lol i always get them in math
    Please don't tell me these things...

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost

I like high school. Every experience in life, good or bad, is there for a purpose. Every time a phase in your life passes, you will have learned something new. I'm really excited about going to college, but what I'm doing now is useful in its own way. I hope.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Looking back, my advice for people in high school is to STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. I know... not what a lot of you want to hear.

The social life is important because it shapes your future, but leave most of the social life to college.

Do whatever you can to get into one of the top colleges in the country. The 'secret' of American higher-education is that it doesn't really matter how you do when you are in college - it only matters where you go. I know guys who did terrible at Yale and Harvard, but got $70,000+ jobs out of school. I also know guys that went to Penn State, University of Delaware, etc. that did well but ended up with $30,000 jobs out of school. That's a BIG difference.

Personally, I feel high school is "as bad as it gets". Being constantly surrounded by a bunch of superficial dimwits is just not my kind of fun. "As good as it gets" is your freshman year of college when those idiots finally get a taste of the real world and realize that they aren't sh*t. Now that I'm in college, I really wish I would've started earlier and just taken my GED like sophmore year, I really didn't learn much other tan how to avoid people my last 2 years of high school.
    If you want to be treated as an equal, act like one!

Originally posted by IceRgrrl

Please don't tell me these things...

LMAO!
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Originally posted by Leviathan
    Looking back, my advice for people in high school is to STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. I know... not what a lot of you want to hear.

The social life is important because it shapes your future, but leave most of the social life to college.
    I disagree completely with this. In high school, I wasn't considered "popular" but I was friends with basically everyone, didn't have beef with too many people, and had my share of fun, but now that I'm in college it's completely different. In high school I could shoot the sh*t with my friends all night, never study, and maintain a 3.5 gpa. But now in college, my friends have scattered, dwindled, whatever and all I'm doing is studying. So I've got to say, though I hated the high school I went to, the curriculum was cake compared to what's going on now; I learned how to actually study this year, and kinda wish I would've earlier. Don't get me wrong, I went to the hardest high school in the state, it wasn't easy for everyone. (God, am I gloating or what!) haha I guess the thing I miss most about high school is my innosence, when it was fun to just hang out outside my house and it was a big deal to kiss a guy. THOSE were the days. The actual school part wasn't that great.
    If you want to be treated as an equal, act like one!

I went to one year of high school and I have no great memories of it. I don't regret leaving cause I got to do a lot of awesome things like internships or work for asa production assistant for a movie...all of which I wouldnt have been able to do if I was in high school. I dont even have any friends from high school left....in all honesty I think it was a personal waste of time for me...but I am speaking for ME only!
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

my ex girlfriend got her GED and just dropped out, shes still going to be able to get into the college she wants, and eventually have the career she wants. but unless your goals are to become someone who doesnt require 4 years in college then dropping out would be a bad idea. not all jobs require college, high school is really just setting you up for a college

well william, im SFG that you didnt go to my school........LOL

btw babeintraining...........i would have WAY rather gone to la cueva, whats your problem with it?