The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member GarageGorilla's Avatar

GarageGorilla's Home Training

Like I mentioned in my introductory thread, I work full-time plus some in a demanding job so I don't really have the time for a conventional gym. Fortunately I had some good years before my long hiatus and managed to acquire some items for home use, so now I train out of my garage exclusively.

My current routine is a simple two day a week split (one day lower, the other upper) where I pick one main exercise and crush myself, then do a couple other small ones and that's it. Day One is lower body day, where I focus primarily on bottom position squats (starting from the parallel position and going to standing, then lowering it back down slowly) and finish with some pull-ups and Rolling Thunder lifts (a one-handed deadlift handle that is 2.5" wide and rotates while you pull). Day Two is upper body day, where I get out into my driveway and focus primarily on the log clean and press (doing the clean from an old car tire to the chest, then doing a strict press), and end with some chin-ups and heavy grippers.

My current maxes for Day One are 315 for the bottom position squat, 5x5 for pull-ups, and 95 for the Rolling Thunder. Day Two current maxes are 145 for the log clean and press, 5x5 for chin-ups, and I can close the HG200 for 1-2 shaky reps per hand. I'm 5'8" and 185 pounds right now. For my two main exercises, I just do a lot of singles. 5 progressive singles to warm up, and 5-10 work singles at anywhere from 80-90%.

I may also log in some of my martial art classes/workouts and runs and the like too, we'll see how this goes. Thanks for reading.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Garage Lifter
    this log is eerily familiar Looking forward to seeing your training.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    this log is eerily familiar Looking forward to seeing your training.
    After reading your journal, I can see why!

Bottom Position Squats - 4 progressive singles to warm up, then did 280 for 10 singles.

Rolling Thunder Lifts - 85 per hand for 5 singles.

Pull-Ups - 5 sets of 3 reps, slow and controlled.

Hand Grippers - Warmed up with the COC Trainer x10 reps, then did 5 cheat closes per hand with the HG200.

Garage Lifter
    Bottoms Up Squats are the devil...great job on everything. I have an old (10+ years) Capt of Crush #1 that I can't consistently shut even though I can do 20 reps with the Trainer. Do you like the HG200 better? I need to find a gripper to bridge the gap.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Thanks StLRPh. I have the entire HG set and the COCs 1-3. The HGs make a nice way to work in between grippers. The HG150 is a bit tougher than the Trainer but not as tough as a #1 so it would be a good in-between gripper. It's nice having a variety.