The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Do rows and bench use similar muscles?

I started doing chins and bent over rows on one day, and bench press on alternate days.

Since I started this, I've noticed that my lats and upper back are very sore on the days that I bench, and for some reason this is hurting my bench. I can barely move any weight...

I'm thinking maybe the upper back and lats and possibly the bicep are supporting muscles in the bench press? Is this possible?

Should I switch to some sort of upper-lower split for this reason?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This is going to depend a lot on your form, but the short answer is yes.

Especially in a powerlifting-style bench press, the lats may play an important role. Its also important to keep tightness in your upper back, so if you are fatigued there, you may be losing stability.

Well this may seem like a dumb question, but how do I design a routine that solves this problem? I am definitely getting diminished results on my bench from being tired from those other exercises like rows...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Well this may seem like a dumb question, but how do I design a routine that solves this problem? I am definitely getting diminished results on my bench from being tired from those other exercises like rows...
    Exactly what kind of rows are u doing? Machine, High rows, rows, T rows? I preferably stick to dead Lift, Lat pulldown, and chinups and that is plenty.
    Bench Press 245x1
    Back Squat 225x3 (ATG)
    Dead lift 275x1
    Clean 185x2

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Move rows to a different day? I moved mine to leg day, as it was already a fairly short workout for me, and that seems to work well. YMMV.

You may be over-thinking it a little.

Is your goal to specifically have a big bench? If so, you may want to change your routine to be totally geared around benching more (Chris Mason wrote a great program for this - Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!)

If however your goal is overall development, I think you may be woryring a bit too much.

I get less worried about being sore and over-training nowadays. Our bodies can take more than you give them granted for and if you smash the weights HARD 3-4 times, then you will are going to be sore for most of the week, thats just how it goes - get used to it.

Using deloads properly and ensuring your nutrition is spot on aswell as some helping hands (Look up ETS as a supplement) is absolutely key to revoery and overall progression in my opinion.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    You may be over-thinking it a little.

Is your goal to specifically have a big bench? If so, you may want to change your routine to be totally geared around benching more (Chris Mason wrote a great program for this - Up Your Bench Press 30lbs in 30 days!)

If however your goal is overall development, I think you may be woryring a bit too much.

I get less worried about being sore and over-training nowadays. Our bodies can take more than you give them granted for and if you smash the weights HARD 3-4 times, then you will are going to be sore for most of the week, thats just how it goes - get used to it.

Using deloads properly and ensuring your nutrition is spot on aswell as some helping hands (Look up ETS as a supplement) is absolutely key to revoery and overall progression in my opinion.
    Thanks Daniel for the advice.

My problem is that when I do go into the gym sore, it effects my performance. I try to work through the soreness and my muscles fail pretty quickly well below their expected strength and rep level.

Sometimes I just leave the gym and come back a few days later and I try again, and its like the fuel tank has been re-filled, and Im ok..

Should I be working through the soreness, instead of taking more days off? If I de-load when Im sore, and do 30 less lbs then Im capable of, is this really helping the situation?
    Last edited by Eric Cartman; 07-23-2010 at 02:35 PM.