The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: The Next Step

Wannabebig Member

The Next Step

** I'm not trolling, just a serious noob when it comes to weightlifting **

Alright, I've been doing SS for about 4 months and while I'm still able to put 5lbs on the bar for most workouts, I'm beginning to stall again in bench, military press, and power clean. I've already gotten stuck and done a single-exercise deload for all of the movements, multiple times for bench and military press. Therefore, I'm nearing the point where it's time to move on to something better, as my diet and sleep are in good order.

However, to be 100% honest, my motivations for weightlifting are completely aesthetic. I'm sorry if that offends some of you, but that's the way it is. So, the question is, would I be better suited by going on to Texas Method or onto a bodybuilding program if my main goal is hypertrophy and not strength?

Put another way: will I be better served by training for strength now and going for looks later, or is SS a good enough base that I can switch camps once I'm done with it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Garage Lifter
    What are your lifts now?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I think that's entirely up to you. You will find varying opinions on this forum about what constitutes a bodybuilding program and what constitutes a strength program. I am of the opinion that if you are working in a moderate volume, set, and rep range, you are covering both bases. I also think that's the smartest aproach for most beginner and intermediate lifters. I strongly believe in building a foundation before starting a true bodybuilding split.

The strength, conditioning, and nutritional foundation that you build at the beginning will allow you to have greater success later if you decide to start a true bodybuilding split. You will be able to handle some decent weight while focussing on hypertrophy and the increased work capacity will help you recover from the volume. Where do you need to be strength wise? Iron Addict (a smart guy) has recomended squatting/deadlifting 350 for reps and benching 250 for reps before going on to a volume type of program.

Lastly, if you are using a good routine at the beginner stages, and your rest and nutrition are good, then you are not solely training for strength. A good routine will give you both strength and muscle mass. Don't think in terms of one or the other, unless you are using high volume splits or ultra low reps, you will gain in both areas. If you want to learn more from a guy that knows a lot more than I do, then you should read the science article from the HCT-12 series by Daniel Roberts.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response!

Here's my lift progress, laugh if you will. All are 3x5 save the power clean and deadlift, which are 5x3 and 1x5 respectively.

March 2010
    Squat: 95
    Bench: 55
    Deadlift: 95
    Military Press: 55
    Power Clean: N/A

Now 2010
    Squat: 180
    Bench: 115
    Deadlift: 175
    Military Press: 95
    Power Clean: 105

I know even with the progress I've made that these are low, but not much I can do about that other than keep lifting and eating!

Ok, so the vibe I'm getting is that Texas Method is probably the better way to go. As for the exercises, how does this look?

Monday (Volume, 5x5): Squats, Weighted Dips (hate benching), Power Cleans
    Wednesday (Recovery, 3x3): Front Squats, Pull Ups, Romanian Deadlifts
    Friday (Intensity, 1x5): Squats, Weighted Dips, Deadlift

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loofthri View Post
    Here's my lift progress, laugh if you will.
    Hey, we all have to start somewhere. And progress is progress; you've more or less doubled that weights of all your lifts. Be proud of every pound.

You need to eat more to get unstuck, not switch to TM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    You need to eat more to get unstuck, not switch to TM.

I'm already gaining about 1.5 lbs per week, so I don't really think gaining any more is gonna help all that much. Like I said before, I've already gotten stuck a couple times and have fixed it with a deload, but that can only work so many times before changing programs makes sense.

I could be way off the mark with this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm already gaining about 1.5 lbs per week, so I don't really think gaining any more is gonna help all that much. Like I said before, I've already gotten stuck a couple times and have fixed it with a deload, but that can only work so many times before changing programs makes sense.

I could be way off the mark with this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
    If your still gaining weight and still increasing your lifts by 5 pounds each workout I don't see any reason to switch unless your just absolutely bored with the program.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaron View Post
    If your still gaining weight and still increasing your lifts by 5 pounds each workout I don't see any reason to switch unless your just absolutely bored with the program.
    Can't hurt to plan, right? I don't intend to switch until I've exhausted the gains of SS, but since I've had to deload a few times already I get the feeling that that time is approaching.

I went from 125lbs with starting numbers lower than yours to 205lbs with a 350lb squat, 400lb deadlift, and 250lb bench before exhausting novice progression. You need to eat.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    I went from 125lbs with starting numbers lower than yours to 205lbs with a 350lb squat, 400lb deadlift, and 250lb bench before exhausting novice progression. You need to eat.
    Impressive. How long did that take? And I think 1.5 lbs a week is a good medium between no gains and putting on too much fat. Am I wrong?

Wannabebig Member
    Impressive. How long did that take? And I think 1.5 lbs a week is a good medium between no gains and putting on too much fat. Am I wrong?
    Probably depends a lot on your body type and level of activity, but I've been gaining 1.5-2lbs per week and keeping fairly lean. So yeah, it might be a good rule of thumb.

More than a year.