The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

a little motovation

i found this written by Jim Wendler over on Elitefts. really like it so hopefully you will too.

"I'm going to have to give you some Tough Lust here (no lube or spit). First, I need for you to re-read this article, especially this part:

"Where performance and kicking ass are more important than how you look. Where people eat to live, not live to eat. Where trucks are pushed and sleds are pulled. Where reps and weight are counted, calories are not. Where running isn't "cardio, it's part of training and if you're going to walk for your conditioning you best have something on your back or in your hands"

You admit that you are not strong enough (many of us feel this way but understand that it is an ongoing process and that THIS process is important). But please DO NOT be that guy who talks about where he holds his fat or how his legs or "obliques" are fattier than they should be. Where has our gender gone?

What I would prescribe for you is to get rid of all these silly, pathetic and disgusting notions of what you think a man should look like and start over. I'm going to give everyone a huge hint here: no one gives a ***** what you look like. Now I'm not saying being a fat slob doesn't raise some eyebrows in disgust, but if you kick as much ass as possible int the weight room and conditioning field AND start OWNING the ***** out of your given "sport" (you better start competing and making your training count), you will not only LOOK better but you will feel better. People are not attracted to vanity - they are attracted to confidence and passion. No one owns a room by the way they look; it's how they carry themselves.

There is so much more to this, but PLEASE don't talk about your love handles. Talk about your passions in life, talk about how your moved boulders, talk about the books you've read, talk about the world's you've changed. You have the passion for training, start making this ***** count.

I know this is probably way off topic then what you wanted but I'm trying hard to get rid of all this bull***** that is plaguing SO MANY men, young men and boys. So in conclusion, I recommend this:

1. Stretch
    2. Lift
    3. Sprint

Do this all the time - no bulking, no cutting, no bull*****. Just training for being a mother*****er. Don't be that guy that takes shirtless photos of himself so other men can drool on them. That **** is a disgrace to every man that has done anything awesome in his life - while they were busy "doing" these shirtless 'tards were busy trying to look the part. Get off the bench and get on the field. "

You don't have to train like an a**hole to lift like a champion,
    Jim Wendler

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    I liked some of it. But that article is pretty much ****ting and insulting all over bodybuilding. I'm a powerlifter myself, but I really respect bodybuilders and what they do.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

i can see where you think that, i just dont agree with it. it seems to me that it is more getting towards the people that change their routine every other week because they read a different article on some website. thats the way i take it at least. he also is just maybe expanding a little on his NOV ideas, which is also one of my favorite training mentalities, im sure most here and heard/read it, but if not do, because it really puts lifting into perspective, at least for me.

Moving North of Vag
    I canít take credit for this name. I wish I could, but both the idea and the name come from my good friend Jim Messer. Jim and I have been friends since junior high, and we have the kind of friendship that doesnít require us to talk every week. Or even every year. This is more of an idea. A concept, if you will.

Jim started training with the 5/3/1 method without my knowing it, and heís had great success. He emailed me and let me know about this. Hereís part of an email he wrote to me:
    I feel compelled to tell you that after a few months of using the now-legendary 5/3/1, I have now moved somewhat north of being an utter vag. I f**ked my body up pretty badly last winter, stopped all physical activity, and thought that was pretty much gonna be it. Just another skinny f**king wimp. Itís been a really long time since Iíve felt this good physically. By God, last week I puked in my mouth and almost blacked out squatting. Iíd thought that time in my life was over.

After I stopped laughing, I began thinking about his statement and about how many people seem to be moving and staying well south of vag. To quote Black Sabbath, this is a symptom of the universe. Then I started to contemplate how one stays in the Northern Hemisphere of the Holy Holes. What followed was the training template Iíll show you now. Itís very simple to follow:

1. Warm-up: foam rolling, static stretching and jumping rope (or something similar).

2. Lift Weights: 5/3/1; keep it basic and strong.

3. Condition: Run hills, push Prowler.

Thatís it. Do this 3-4 times a week and you wonít fall into the trap of being normal. Youíll be strong, healthy and in shape. You wonít make New Yearís resolutions because youíll be living it every day. You can eat that final piece of pie and not count carbs because you just ran 20 hill sprints for the third time this week. You can wake up and not feel like **** because youíve actually taken the time to foam roll and stretch. You actually have some traps from deadlifting. You donít fall for fitness trends, because you know what works. You stop caring what people say on the internet, because youíre always making progress. Youíre always moving forward toward something.

People ask you how to train, and you answer, ďI look at what you do, and then I do the exact opposite.Ē

Youíll actually be able to move because your feet will be fast from jumping rope. You wonít be out of breath all the time. Youíll be able to take on any physical activity you want. Youíll be different once youíve spent time straining to get a rep PR in the squat or pushed a Prowler for 40 minutes. Dealing with the idiots at work or your boss will no longer be an issue. Itís hard to bring a man down after heís had three weeks of personal records in the gym. Itís hard to get mad at the guy who cuts you off in traffic after youíve left your lunch on top of the hill after bear crawling up it. Who cares about all that meaningless stuff? When your training and your life are moving forward, you certainly wonít.

It doesnít take a lot to do this. You already give 8-10 hours a day to your boss and to your work. To boredom and to people and organizations that couldnít care less about you. Then your family and friends get the rest of your time.

What about you? Do you really think so little of yourself that you canít sacrifice an hour or two, 3-4 days a week, for yourself? This ďmeĒ time isnít spent shopping, watching TV or getting on the internet. Youíre spending it reinvesting in your body, building strength, and building character. Kicking ass and training consistently Ė and with some balance Ė will do wonders for both your body and your mind.

Get rid of all the meaningless crap in your life and your training. Get rid of the things that bleed your energy in the weight room and in life. Whatís better for you? The Prowler or a stroll on the treadmill? What do you think is going to make you better?

Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit.

This is a call to arms for some of you. It is for me, too. Stop all the things that make you a pussy and steal your energy. Get your life back.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    i can see where you think that, i just dont agree with it. it seems to me that it is more getting towards the people that change their routine every other week because they read a different article on some website. thats the way i take it at least. he also is just maybe expanding a little on his NOV ideas, which is also one of my favorite training mentalities, im sure most here and heard/read it, but if not do, because it really puts lifting into perspective, at least for me.
    You make a good point cause a bench/curl jokey is a lot different than a bber.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Loved it...thanks for posting it.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

And i don't think he's talking about bodybuilders, I think he's talking about the OCD lifters that stress over their six packs and if they are hitting their biceps from the correct angles with the correct rep ranges. You know, the ones that weigh 140 lbs and are worried about getting "too big" or becoming a "fat slob" at 12% body fat. The kind of person that will never allow themselves to make any kind of progress because they are too caught up in all the little details. I think THAT'S what he is talking about.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    And i don't think he's talking about bodybuilders, I think he's talking about the OCD lifters that stress over their six packs and if they are hitting their biceps from the correct angles with the correct rep ranges. You know, the ones that weigh 140 lbs and are worried about getting "too big" or becoming a "fat slob" at 12% body fat. The kind of person that will never allow themselves to make any kind of progress because they are too caught up in all the little details. I think THAT'S what he is talking about.
    agreed

thanks for sharing, wendlers articles are always a good read.
    ďThe worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else."

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Yes, I refer to those guys as bench/curl/ab jockeys.
    Last edited by joey54; 09-03-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er