The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

UFC this weekend, Penn/Edgar II

No discussion on this so far. Here are my picks for the main card bouts.

Edgar- The winner of the first match in a re-match has a decided advantage according to most stats I have seen. Edgar's last win was not definitive, but I can't see what BJ will do differently. Pictures of him have him looking out of shape, and the comments he is making are strange. Edgar again.

Toney- Soley on gut. Think he is going to get a KO.

Maia- I don't know enough about Miranda. Maia has been pretty impressive in most fights, including when he schooled Sonnen. He showed heart against Silva, but just didn't have the skillset in that fight.

Kenflo- Florian is one of my favorite fighters. I rarely pick against him.

Diaz- Nate is very skilled on the ground. Davis, not so much. Both are tough fighters.

Lauzon- He is solid. Ruediger hasn't fought in the UFC in years, and this might be his last shot, so he could be a dangerous opponent. He is on quite the win streak.

Honestly don't know enough about the other fighters.

BTW, if you get the chance and have HD nets try to catch a replay of the last Sengoku card. I DVR'ed it and was watching some of it last night finally. Fantastic. Was on last weekend I believe, early sunday morning.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

No one interested.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I always bet against Diaz, I can't stand that kid. He always acts like an illiterate street thug and he cracks me up when he flexes those 12" gunz. He's got skills but he needs to grow up and act like an athlete, not a hoodlum.
    Last edited by Off Road; 08-28-2010 at 04:46 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Garage Lifter
    It would nice to see Marcus Davis knock him into next week

Penn
    Couture
    Maia
    Florian
    Davis
    Lauzon
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Penn seems out of it. The guy needs some type of external motivation and I think he is having a hard time finding it, so he's going with weak attempts. He's using the fact that Edgar's corner picked him up after the fight, Frankie said Gray deserved the next shot and Frankie showed his true colors as motivation. I think they are insignificant, but if they motivate BJ, he'll win. I agree with Joey, he looks out of shape and in an interview on ESPN, he said he's been relaxing hard for this fight. I could see Frankie winning again, but I'll go with BJ. Hard to see him lose twice at LW.

Couture over Toney. I don't think the UFC would throw Randy in there if they didn't feel he had a great shot at winning and while Toney could catch him, I think Randy is an awful first opponent for anyone. He's good enough on his feet to not get tagged and if he gets his hands on Toney, he'll rape him to a victory.

Florian over Maynard. Gray is a tough dude, but Florian might be the second best LW in the world right now.

Looks like a solid card.

I've got coture winning. He always seems to do well against guys who run their mouth as much as Toney has

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I thought with all the talking Toney was doing, he had some tricks up his sleeves. Man, he didn't even get off one punch. If I would have looked at the weigh in pictures before making my picks, I would have went to Couture. He was just in there for a payday, and it almost looked like a work(fixed fight).

Is anyone else not impressed with Maynard? He is a terrific wrestler, but the way he talks makes him sound like the second coming of Matt Hughes. He doesn't seem to look to finish fights at all. And this is coming from someone who enjoys what Jon Fitch and Jake Shields do.

Just get under the bar!

Toney looked worse than I thought he would.

Penn looked terrible. Some of that was Edgar, some was BJ not working. BJ needs to change some things up and get some new people to work with. Rogan pointed it out a dozen times, but his corner provided nothing last night, other than saying go get him.

I actually thought Maynard looked good last night. He did some damage from the top, was able to hold his own on the feet and dominated Florian for three rounds.

I can't believe I spent fifty dollars to watch that. Awful stuff. One sided fights all around and it didn't even look like Penn, Florian, Miranda, Toney, etc even wanted to win.
    22 y/o, 6'1, ~205 lbs
    508/303/557

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post

Penn looked terrible. Some of that was Edgar, some was BJ not working. BJ needs to change some things up and get some new people to work with. Rogan pointed it out a dozen times, but his corner provided nothing last night, other than saying go get him.

I actually thought Maynard looked good last night. He did some damage from the top, was able to hold his own on the feet and dominated Florian for three rounds.
    It was a given that Toney only had a shot of he caught Couture with a punch, but lets face it, Randy as a first MMA fight? Dana was just trying to prove MMA's dominance over boxing...LOL not jumpstart Toney's career.

Edgar just has BJ's number. Period. Which is awesome as far as I am concerned. LOL

Anyone that can dominate Ken Flo (or even stand with him as far as I am concerned) is impressive. I had him picked as the number two LW, but now I definitely look forward to seeing Maynard get some work done in the division. its time to face it, although not the most exciting, wrestlers are dominating the UFC right now and will continue to do so until fighters can figure out a way to take their ground control away.

A lot of people are complaing about this card but I thought it was a great card. To see BJ dominated like that is something I haven't seen since GSP (Frankie didn't dominate like that but he's comes the closest to GSP). I don't believe it had anything to do with BJ, you could easily tell BJ made adjustments for this fight. He was going for TD's he wasn't just trying to counter strike either he was coming at Edgar. The problem is no matter where this fight went Edgar was winning. It was amazing to see to be honest and I was very impressed with Edgar. My instructor trained with him for this fight and for a fight he had last weekend.

Next is Gray/Edgar and I think Maynard is going to turn this into a wrestling match and it's going to end just like last time. I was interested to see if he could get Kenny down and he did so easily. You can really see how strong he is when he gets ahold of his opponents he's a big guy. Stephen Bonnar said after the fight that he's worked out with Maynard before and he puts up some big numbers for a 155er. I thought Kenny would win because he has more tools to do so but Maynard wrestling proved to be to much. Kenny was very tentative as well I don't know what was up with him in this fight.

Couture/Toney no surprise there this was really a pointless fight. The take down might have looked weak but believe me those low singles do take you down. Its one of those things that looks like it would be ineffective when you see it but when it's done to you, you understand.

Was hoping to see Nate get KO'd but unfortunately he didn't. Oh well I always have the satisfaction of knowing no matter how well he does against the B level guys he'll eventually get stomped. Him challenging Gray was hilarious.

They tried to say Maia gassed in his fight but I don't think he did at all. I think he was just hoping the guy would be willing to try and GNP him so he could submit the guy. He was obviously the superior grappler. Maia will allow himself to be viciously GNPd in order to work his game just watch the Ed herman fight.

It gets on my nerves when Rogan and Goldberg start calling someone on being gassed with very little proof. When it's obvious then I understand. They said the same about Anderson during his fight with Maia and it was ridiculous he didn't look gassed at all. He was just running around like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike G View Post

I didn't see it last night but that is surprising about Penn. I thought he had looked better the last couple fights.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Randy wins.............what a surprise.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I'd rather have Toney fight someone like Kimbo or Big Country. I didn't think Toney would last 2 minutes.

Edgar is Penn's kryptonite. I don't think Edgar will be champ for long - but he does stuff that is tough for BJ to deal with.

Florian looked awful.

And all you Nate Diaz haters, that kid can fight and so can his brother. They run their mouths, they show boat, but the UFC is sometimes vanilla and he brings a little bit of the bravado needed. Lesner does it, Leben does it, Evans does it, Rampage etc.etc.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    And all you Nate Diaz haters, that kid can fight and so can his brother. They run their mouths, they show boat, but the UFC is sometimes vanilla and he brings a little bit of the bravado needed. Lesner does it, Leben does it, Evans does it, Rampage etc.etc.

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the moronic out-of-cage antics, but I love watching NICK Diaz fight. Something about watching a skinny guy snake-lick-jab the crap out of someone for 7 minutes and then catch them in a BJJ submission just appeals to me.

There's a possibility that because I saw him fight what seemed like every other weekend on Showtime over the past 3-4 years that his style just grew on me, though.

Method, when you put it that way with Maynard, I agree. It is just every fight he talks about knocking people out and all these skills he is going to show, but most of the time it is stall for 4 minutes and win the round with a takedown. But he does win and deserves respect, as do all fighters. I would prefer if he just said before a fight, I plan to neutralize my opponent, and when the opportunity is there, I'll try to end it. That doesn't really sell fights, but neither does his current style.

Just get under the bar!

This card kinda sucked. Not a single KO or even TKO. Not a huge shock though since 18 of the 20 fighters were 185 or less. I'm also surprised Couture didn't win sub of the night

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

I just wanted to chime in to say that Nate Diaz is awesome! Stockton! 209!!
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    This card kinda sucked. Not a single KO or even TKO. Not a huge shock though since 18 of the 20 fighters were 185 or less. I'm also surprised Couture didn't win sub of the night
    I hate to admit this but I agree. At one point I actually caught myself pouring candle wax into an empty beer bottle..thats how interested I was in the fights...sort of a let down to me. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    I hate to admit this but I agree. At one point I actually caught myself pouring candle wax into an empty beer bottle..thats how interested I was in the fights...sort of a let down to me. Oh well.
    lol, yeah it's not that the smaller guys aren't extremely talented, it's just way too common that one will land a perfectly placed big right hand on the other guys jaw and he can just shake it off instantly like he wasn't even rocked for a second. With the heavier guys it's less likely they'll be able to get away with eating a good shot like that. So, to me at least, the HW and LHW fights are more volatile and more entertaining.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Method, when you put it that way with Maynard, I agree. It is just every fight he talks about knocking people out and all these skills he is going to show, but most of the time it is stall for 4 minutes and win the round with a takedown. But he does win and deserves respect, as do all fighters. I would prefer if he just said before a fight, I plan to neutralize my opponent, and when the opportunity is there, I'll try to end it. That doesn't really sell fights, but neither does his current style.
    I do agree I got tired of him saying that new skills crap for a while now. He does it every fight. GSP has actually started doing this to and it's really annoying now. Since the second Matt Serra fight (maybe even before) he's always saying how he's got some new tricks that were going to see. I used to get so excited to see GSP and get to see his new trick and nothing ever came. I honestly don't even understand why he says it, maybe to make his opponent worry or something.

Just glad Randy won. Toney's ego must be so big even after losing said his ground game is ok. o.k. James lol
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)