The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    72

    Should I say something?(dogcrap personal trainer at my gym)

    I've been going to this gym, or as they like to call it "wellness and fitness center". Nonetheless, I go there because I can't go to my school weight room because it's summer. I go there 3/4 times a week depending on how tired I'm feeling after HCT-12. I'd say twice a week I see this wunder trainer named Laurie Caw doing exercises with her "elite athletes" that IMO anyways are pretty lame. Most of these kids have been with her for several years, none of them have gotten any larger or even faster or more flexible. They always complain about how hard she works them, yet they don't do anything super hard or intense.

    Anyways, I have digressed. A kid I know named Alex is working with her, and threw out his back. Alex is a hockey player, and I suggested maybe doing some GHR's and/or good mornings to make his posterior chain a little less weak. After explaining to him what they were, he said she doesn't like doing exercises with a lot of weight because it stops them from being "fast and flexible". Sort of sounds like crap to me, but hey I'm just a teenager. So the question basically is, should I tell Alex that she's a garbage trainer, or am I being affected by the arrogance of youth?
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    I've been going to this gym, or as they like to call it "wellness and fitness center". Nonetheless, I go there because I can't go to my school weight room because it's summer. I go there 3/4 times a week depending on how tired I'm feeling after HCT-12. I'd say twice a week I see this wunder trainer named Laurie Caw doing exercises with her "elite athletes" that IMO anyways are pretty lame. Most of these kids have been with her for several years, none of them have gotten any larger or even faster or more flexible. They always complain about how hard she works them, yet they don't do anything super hard or intense.

    Anyways, I have digressed. A kid I know named Alex is working with her, and threw out his back. Alex is a hockey player, and I suggested maybe doing some GHR's and/or good mornings to make his posterior chain a little less weak. After explaining to him what they were, he said she doesn't like doing exercises with a lot of weight because it stops them from being "fast and flexible". Sort of sounds like crap to me, but hey I'm just a teenager. So the question basically is, should I tell Alex that she's a garbage trainer, or am I being affected by the arrogance of youth?
    At first I thought this was going to be about a crappy DC trainer at a gym haha..

  4. #3
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,816
    ya, i thought it was referring to doggcrap training.

    she must be doing something right if she gets new clients and keeps the ones she has for years like you say.

  5. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    ya, i thought it was referring to doggcrap training.

    she must be doing something right if she gets new clients and keeps the ones she has for years like you say.
    She trained Matt Duchene, who was already gifted and his success came from his own genetic gifts and amazing work ethic. Not her backasswards training.


    People think they will become Matt Duchene if they train with her, not realizing 99.99999 percent of his success wasn't her. They also have a gross stupidity problem, that coupled with lots of money=clients.
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

  6. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    17
    Wait, there are guys out there who agree to be trained by women? That just strikes me as odd.

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580
    part of being a teenager is making poor decisions. do what you find to be effective and leave the idiots to the idiots

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    654
    If the situation was reversed would you want to be told? I know I would. I hate that I worked out for a year not doing it the right way. I got results but they were nothing compared to the result I got once I knew what to do.

  9. #8
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    So the question basically is, should I tell Alex that she's a garbage trainer, or am I being affected by the arrogance of youth?
    Hard to say knowing only your side of the story (and not knowing the full regimen she is running), but if what you say is true, then she sounds awful.

  10. #9
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    Hard to say knowing only your side of the story (and not knowing the full regimen she is running), but if what you say is true, then she sounds awful.
    she makes her athletes buy Vibram 5 toes. That should tell you.
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

  11. #10
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    she makes her athletes buy Vibram 5 toes. That should tell you.
    Those are great shoes for general weightlifting. I use them on a daily basis and the amount of feel and stability I get from them is unmatched by anything else I've ever trained in.

  12. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Those are great shoes for general weightlifting. I use them on a daily basis and the amount of feel and stability I get from them is unmatched by anything else I've ever trained in.
    I've always found taking my shoes off works just as well, maybe even a bit better..considering it's free.
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

  13. #12
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    I've always found taking my shoes off works just as well, maybe even a bit better..considering it's free.
    A bunch of athletes running around barefoot, using the same equipment and sharing the same space? There is a reason you wear shower shoes in public showers...

  14. #13
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    I've always found taking my shoes off works just as well, maybe even a bit better..considering it's free.
    Besides the mentioned sanitary issues, and the fact that many gyms do not allow barefoot or even socked feet, the shoes are also great for running outdoors where your feet can get torn up. That's originally why I bought them. Overpriced? Yes. Great for exercise in general? Definitely.

    Anyways, I don't really think you should say something to the trainer. I mean, who really cares if she's ripping people off? Her customers will either get smart or keep wasting money if she is in fact a bad trainer.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    167
    Well if people are getting injured, then i think someone needs to say something to someone (whether it be the coach or the trainees). Really the problem is that i am unaware of many if any viable alternatives in this town.

  16. #15
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,713
    Wow a trainer that knows about DC training? I'm impressed.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

  17. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580
    my old gym used to have a bunch of kids who would hog the barbells doing WODs in the afternoon.. they would be doing their BS with empty barbells and underarmor shirts/shorts. very irritating.. one of the main reasons i went early AM

  18. #17
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,282
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    my old gym used to have a bunch of kids who would hog the barbells doing WODs in the afternoon.. they would be doing their BS with empty barbells and underarmor shirts/shorts. very irritating.. one of the main reasons i went early AM
    Lol, I like how you just come in here and $hit on the Crossfit parade. LMFAO.

  19. #18
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    I've been going to this gym, or as they like to call it "wellness and fitness center". Nonetheless, I go there because I can't go to my school weight room because it's summer. I go there 3/4 times a week depending on how tired I'm feeling after HCT-12. I'd say twice a week I see this wunder trainer named Laurie Caw doing exercises with her "elite athletes" that IMO anyways are pretty lame. Most of these kids have been with her for several years, none of them have gotten any larger or even faster or more flexible. They always complain about how hard she works them, yet they don't do anything super hard or intense.

    Anyways, I have digressed. A kid I know named Alex is working with her, and threw out his back. Alex is a hockey player, and I suggested maybe doing some GHR's and/or good mornings to make his posterior chain a little less weak. After explaining to him what they were, he said she doesn't like doing exercises with a lot of weight because it stops them from being "fast and flexible". Sort of sounds like crap to me, but hey I'm just a teenager. So the question basically is, should I tell Alex that she's a garbage trainer, or am I being affected by the arrogance of youth?
    You would most likely be wasting your time and creating more problems than it is worth by saying something to the trainer. I am sure that she firmly believes in her methods and being questioned by someone is just going to make her defensive.

    One way to approach the situation is to maybe grab an article from Defranco or someone with a good reputation in sports training and share it with her by saying something like "Hey I know that you work with a lot of athletes and thought that you might be interested in this program, it seems to be quite popular".

    Chances are that she will not even take the time to look into things but at least you can know that you tried to make a difference.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  20. #19
    Back in business WBBIRL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The Fridge
    Posts
    5,604
    Even if her methods are poor the fact is everyone's body responds differently to different programs...

    About 2 years ago I was about as motivated and driven as I've EVER been as far as becoming bigger and stronger except I was cautious about piling on weight . I was doing a hybrid westside/DC routine that was working VERY well for me. Almost the best any program has ever done for me. I did a modified run of builts "Baby got back" routine and I never was able to pile on strength so fast and even wound up losing weight.

    What works for you won't work for them and so on. Some people respond much better to higher volume while others respond better to low volume high intensity lifting.


    She does sound misinformed though

  21. #20
    Iplan Iplan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    300
    I wouldn't say anything.....

    I would work your program up against hers...... and see who comes out better in the areas you are both training.....

    BTW, A friend of mine is a Navy SEAL, and he was telling me that they are all into Crossfit. There is something to being able to bench your body weight 10 times, do 15 chinups, and run a 6 minute mile (especially if you can do all of those exercises in 10 minutes).

    One other thing: I watched a guy bench 400 lbs on flat bench the other day. I was impressed, until he had to struggle to get up off the bench (unable to perform a single situp I guess)....... It sort of turned my stomach.
    Last edited by Iplan; 08-23-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

    "We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

  22. #21
    Cardio bunny Alex.V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Duke
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Iplan View Post

    [I]BTW, A friend of mine is a Navy SEAL, and he was telling me that they are all into Crossfit. There is something to being able to bench your body weight 10 times, do 15 chinups, and run a 6 minute mile (especially if you can do all of those exercises in 10 minutes).
    Honestly, bud... if you think any of those are remotely impressive, even put together, you might wanna take another look at your concept of performance.

    Crossfit has its place, but like any other workout regime, 95% of its advocates and adherents do a mediocre job of understanding its purpose, and therefore getting results.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 09-02-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

  23. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    167
    Well theres no way that she is doing legitimate crossfit, cause even if i do somewhat disagree with crossfit for sport specific training, these kids definately dont see that kind of improvement, especially on big lifts. These are the kind of kids that are impressed when you warm up with 155 on squat.

Similar Threads

  1. Becoming a Personal Trainer
    By ehubbard in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 08:56 PM
  2. Personal Trainer ?.............
    By [[[----]]] in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 10:03 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 10:09 AM
  4. personal trainer/gym instructor qualifications?
    By diego in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 01:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •