The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    72

    Should I say something?(dogcrap personal trainer at my gym)

    I've been going to this gym, or as they like to call it "wellness and fitness center". Nonetheless, I go there because I can't go to my school weight room because it's summer. I go there 3/4 times a week depending on how tired I'm feeling after HCT-12. I'd say twice a week I see this wunder trainer named Laurie Caw doing exercises with her "elite athletes" that IMO anyways are pretty lame. Most of these kids have been with her for several years, none of them have gotten any larger or even faster or more flexible. They always complain about how hard she works them, yet they don't do anything super hard or intense.

    Anyways, I have digressed. A kid I know named Alex is working with her, and threw out his back. Alex is a hockey player, and I suggested maybe doing some GHR's and/or good mornings to make his posterior chain a little less weak. After explaining to him what they were, he said she doesn't like doing exercises with a lot of weight because it stops them from being "fast and flexible". Sort of sounds like crap to me, but hey I'm just a teenager. So the question basically is, should I tell Alex that she's a garbage trainer, or am I being affected by the arrogance of youth?
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    I've been going to this gym, or as they like to call it "wellness and fitness center". Nonetheless, I go there because I can't go to my school weight room because it's summer. I go there 3/4 times a week depending on how tired I'm feeling after HCT-12. I'd say twice a week I see this wunder trainer named Laurie Caw doing exercises with her "elite athletes" that IMO anyways are pretty lame. Most of these kids have been with her for several years, none of them have gotten any larger or even faster or more flexible. They always complain about how hard she works them, yet they don't do anything super hard or intense.

    Anyways, I have digressed. A kid I know named Alex is working with her, and threw out his back. Alex is a hockey player, and I suggested maybe doing some GHR's and/or good mornings to make his posterior chain a little less weak. After explaining to him what they were, he said she doesn't like doing exercises with a lot of weight because it stops them from being "fast and flexible". Sort of sounds like crap to me, but hey I'm just a teenager. So the question basically is, should I tell Alex that she's a garbage trainer, or am I being affected by the arrogance of youth?
    At first I thought this was going to be about a crappy DC trainer at a gym haha..

  4. #3
    I wannabebig!
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    in my own world
    Posts
    1,818
    ya, i thought it was referring to doggcrap training.

    she must be doing something right if she gets new clients and keeps the ones she has for years like you say.

  5. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    17
    Wait, there are guys out there who agree to be trained by women? That just strikes me as odd.

  6. #5
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by ryuage View Post
    ya, i thought it was referring to doggcrap training.

    she must be doing something right if she gets new clients and keeps the ones she has for years like you say.
    She trained Matt Duchene, who was already gifted and his success came from his own genetic gifts and amazing work ethic. Not her backasswards training.


    People think they will become Matt Duchene if they train with her, not realizing 99.99999 percent of his success wasn't her. They also have a gross stupidity problem, that coupled with lots of money=clients.
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,583
    part of being a teenager is making poor decisions. do what you find to be effective and leave the idiots to the idiots

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    656
    If the situation was reversed would you want to be told? I know I would. I hate that I worked out for a year not doing it the right way. I got results but they were nothing compared to the result I got once I knew what to do.

  9. #8
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    So the question basically is, should I tell Alex that she's a garbage trainer, or am I being affected by the arrogance of youth?
    Hard to say knowing only your side of the story (and not knowing the full regimen she is running), but if what you say is true, then she sounds awful.

  10. #9
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    Hard to say knowing only your side of the story (and not knowing the full regimen she is running), but if what you say is true, then she sounds awful.
    she makes her athletes buy Vibram 5 toes. That should tell you.
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

  11. #10
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    she makes her athletes buy Vibram 5 toes. That should tell you.
    Those are great shoes for general weightlifting. I use them on a daily basis and the amount of feel and stability I get from them is unmatched by anything else I've ever trained in.

  12. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Those are great shoes for general weightlifting. I use them on a daily basis and the amount of feel and stability I get from them is unmatched by anything else I've ever trained in.
    I've always found taking my shoes off works just as well, maybe even a bit better..considering it's free.
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

  13. #12
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    I've always found taking my shoes off works just as well, maybe even a bit better..considering it's free.
    A bunch of athletes running around barefoot, using the same equipment and sharing the same space? There is a reason you wear shower shoes in public showers...

  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    A bunch of athletes running around barefoot, using the same equipment and sharing the same space? There is a reason you wear shower shoes in public showers...
    I see the point, but I think he was referring to working out in a home gym. Unless you're an Olympic Weightlifter there shouldn't be a need to buy hardcore lifting shoes. I wouldn't by **** from anyone that recommended to me.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    656
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    A bunch of athletes running around barefoot, using the same equipment and sharing the same space? There is a reason you wear shower shoes in public showers...
    Not sure what your trying to imply here. I train in BJJ and were all barefoot on the mats stepping in each others sweat sometimes. I don't see how it could be any different weight lifting but maybe I'm missing something.

  16. #15
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    Not sure what your trying to imply here. I train in BJJ and were all barefoot on the mats stepping in each others sweat sometimes. I don't see how it could be any different weight lifting but maybe I'm missing something.
    Yeah I guess you're probably right, I was just thinking of increased chances of foot fungi or infection like staph with every body running around barefoot.

  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    A bunch of athletes running around barefoot, using the same equipment and sharing the same space? There is a reason you wear shower shoes in public showers...
    I have never seen this (though i am young i have been in public showers often before). I imagine if someone my age did that, he would get rideculed quite severely.

  18. #17
    House Lannister
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Counterweight View Post
    I've always found taking my shoes off works just as well, maybe even a bit better..considering it's free.
    Besides the mentioned sanitary issues, and the fact that many gyms do not allow barefoot or even socked feet, the shoes are also great for running outdoors where your feet can get torn up. That's originally why I bought them. Overpriced? Yes. Great for exercise in general? Definitely.

    Anyways, I don't really think you should say something to the trainer. I mean, who really cares if she's ripping people off? Her customers will either get smart or keep wasting money if she is in fact a bad trainer.

  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    167
    Well if people are getting injured, then i think someone needs to say something to someone (whether it be the coach or the trainees). Really the problem is that i am unaware of many if any viable alternatives in this town.

  20. #19
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,773
    It sounds like they may be doing some kind of Crossfit-inspired workouts. Several members at my CF affiliate wear the Five Fingers shoes and I'm told they're 100% worth it. I wear Nike Free 7.0's but I think the FF will be in my life soon.

    So anyway..this lady is probably certified and has a lot of experience. And you said yourself that you're just a kid and there's nothing wrong with that either. The thing is..we (myself included) tend to get an eliteist view on the fitness world after all our reading and informational exchanges. We think we know what will work and what will NOT work, and what's smart and what's stupid, and what's useful/useless, etc.

    So, armed with that "knowledge," we get critical and judgemental of what we see around us. When I was more in that mindset, it seemed like EVERYONE was doing it wrong. Everyone was using bad form. Everyone was incorporating useless movements into their workout. Everyone's workout made no sense to me because it wasn't a regimented, structured routine with the goal of hypertrophy. I thought cardio was mostly useless as a tool for physical goals (in certain situations or whatever), and so on and so forth. And while I'm sure some of that was true, I've come to realize since then that a significant portion of what I learned on WBB was either incorrect, or just not the all-encompassing answer that it was conveyed to be. That's not a knock on WBB or its contributor content, but just an effect of having thousands of opinions from members that may or may not be correct.

    So...you should probably just stay out of it. The harsh reality is that she probably knows what she's doing and although her methodology may not make sense to you it still has a legitimate purpose. Without even knowing what exercises you're seeing, I can tell you that it's probably a lot of the same stuff we do at Crossfit. And if I had seen people doing those movements a year ago I'd have laughed and silently thanked myself for knowing "the truth" about what does and doesn't work.

    The fact is, though, that I had no idea what fitness, strength, agility and stamina were until 3 months ago and I've made more gains in those 3 months of CF than I did in the 5 years prior. And armed with that knowledge, I've basically thrown out most of what I held as "absolutes" with regard to fitness and the body's response to challenges.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  21. #20
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    It sounds like they may be doing some kind of Crossfit-inspired workouts. Several members at my CF affiliate wear the Five Fingers shoes and I'm told they're 100% worth it. I wear Nike Free 7.0's but I think the FF will be in my life soon.

    So anyway..this lady is probably certified and has a lot of experience. And you said yourself that you're just a kid and there's nothing wrong with that either. The thing is..we (myself included) tend to get an eliteist view on the fitness world after all our reading and informational exchanges. We think we know what will work and what will NOT work, and what's smart and what's stupid, and what's useful/useless, etc.

    So, armed with that "knowledge," we get critical and judgemental of what we see around us. When I was more in that mindset, it seemed like EVERYONE was doing it wrong. Everyone was using bad form. Everyone was incorporating useless movements into their workout. Everyone's workout made no sense to me because it wasn't a regimented, structured routine with the goal of hypertrophy. I thought cardio was mostly useless as a tool for physical goals (in certain situations or whatever), and so on and so forth. And while I'm sure some of that was true, I've come to realize since then that a significant portion of what I learned on WBB was either incorrect, or just not the all-encompassing answer that it was conveyed to be. That's not a knock on WBB or its contributor content, but just an effect of having thousands of opinions from members that may or may not be correct.

    So...you should probably just stay out of it. The harsh reality is that she probably knows what she's doing and although her methodology may not make sense to you it still has a legitimate purpose. Without even knowing what exercises you're seeing, I can tell you that it's probably a lot of the same stuff we do at Crossfit. And if I had seen people doing those movements a year ago I'd have laughed and silently thanked myself for knowing "the truth" about what does and doesn't work.

    The fact is, though, that I had no idea what fitness, strength, agility and stamina were until 3 months ago and I've made more gains in those 3 months of CF than I did in the 5 years prior. And armed with that knowledge, I've basically thrown out most of what I held as "absolutes" with regard to fitness and the body's response to challenges.
    What are the principals of Cross-fit?

    What sort of things do they emphasize?
    Starting weight:177
    Weight:223
    Height:6'1"
    Starting bench:135x3
    Bench:225x9/270x2
    Starting squat:185x3
    Squat:405x1
    Starting deadlift:250x1
    Deadlift:405x1
    1 year and 6 months of hardwork, bitchezzz

  22. #21
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,773
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html

    There's a description of what you asked about, as well as some videos and such. Most of the WOD's are really tough, and some of them are absolutely brutal. The workout "Fran" that is linked for a video looks so simple and easy, but you're basically going all-out for the whole thing. The last time I did it it took me 11min. The first time, 24. The elite can do it in under 5.

    http://crossfitthunder.com/

    That's my local affilliate. You can see our workout for each day. We also incorporate a lot of olympic lifting and strength stuff.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  23. #22
    Footballer
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant, MI.
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    I have never seen this (though i am young i have been in public showers often before). I imagine if someone my age did that, he would get rideculed quite severely.
    Ridiculed for wearing sandals in the shower? I've been in quite a few locker rooms (Football) and a lot of guys were sandals in the shower. Like someone said being barefoot and sweating a lot is a good way to past athletes foot, other fungi, and staph infections.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

  24. #23
    天龙 McIrish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Deep in the night
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd View Post
    It sounds like they may be doing some kind of Crossfit-inspired workouts. Several members at my CF affiliate wear the Five Fingers shoes and I'm told they're 100% worth it. I wear Nike Free 7.0's but I think the FF will be in my life soon.

    So anyway..this lady is probably certified and has a lot of experience. And you said yourself that you're just a kid and there's nothing wrong with that either. The thing is..we (myself included) tend to get an eliteist view on the fitness world after all our reading and informational exchanges. We think we know what will work and what will NOT work, and what's smart and what's stupid, and what's useful/useless, etc.

    So, armed with that "knowledge," we get critical and judgemental of what we see around us. When I was more in that mindset, it seemed like EVERYONE was doing it wrong. Everyone was using bad form. Everyone was incorporating useless movements into their workout. Everyone's workout made no sense to me because it wasn't a regimented, structured routine with the goal of hypertrophy. I thought cardio was mostly useless as a tool for physical goals (in certain situations or whatever), and so on and so forth. And while I'm sure some of that was true, I've come to realize since then that a significant portion of what I learned on WBB was either incorrect, or just not the all-encompassing answer that it was conveyed to be. That's not a knock on WBB or its contributor content, but just an effect of having thousands of opinions from members that may or may not be correct.

    So...you should probably just stay out of it. The harsh reality is that she probably knows what she's doing and although her methodology may not make sense to you it still has a legitimate purpose. Without even knowing what exercises you're seeing, I can tell you that it's probably a lot of the same stuff we do at Crossfit. And if I had seen people doing those movements a year ago I'd have laughed and silently thanked myself for knowing "the truth" about what does and doesn't work.

    The fact is, though, that I had no idea what fitness, strength, agility and stamina were until 3 months ago and I've made more gains in those 3 months of CF than I did in the 5 years prior. And armed with that knowledge, I've basically thrown out most of what I held as "absolutes" with regard to fitness and the body's response to challenges.
    I absolutely agree with this post. Well said, MrEl - I would've laughed my ass off at a bunch of crossfit goofballs swinging all around a pull-up bar and would've thought "why don't those fools just do strict pull-ups and deadlifts?", but I've made such stupid FITNESS gains in the past year at my Crossfit affiliate that I will probably never go back to a strict PL routine. Don't get me wrong, I might take a month off of Crossfit here or there because it isn't easy on the wallet, and sometimes a man's just gotta GOMAD, but overall, I'm a changed man.

    When I say overall fitness, I mean first that my big three haven't appreciably changed (they were never spectacular before, but better than the average joe), but get me doing something like running/swimming/lifting odd objects and I am a hoss compared to what I used to do. When I play pickup ball with my friends now, I'm routinely the first down on every fast break. I can also get more ups than I did before. My mile time has hit a lifetime PR, and I've hit a lifetime PR on 5k runs... and we hardly ever train running!

    In addition, I broke down and bought some VFF shoes... try them once on a field or a track and you will feel like you are a kid again, absolutely flying across the ground. It's absurd compared to clunky running shoes. Don't knock it til you've tried it.

    Also, for the uninitiated, a lot of the crossfit workouts incorporate heavy PL and OLY movements, so you don't need to feel like you're cheating on the iron. Hell, my favorite workouts at our affiliate are moderately-heavy deadlifts (225, usually, which I scale down because that's too much for the intensity of the rest of the workout!) paired with ring-dips or handstand pushups or something. They look deceptively easy... but try doing them all out without rest. Your overall fitness will absolutely EXPLODE.
    25 years old, 5'10''

    Back in the States to get hayooooge!

    Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

  25. #24
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,715
    Wow a trainer that knows about DC training? I'm impressed.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

  26. #25
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,773
    Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    I absolutely agree with this post. Well said, MrEl - I would've laughed my ass off at a bunch of crossfit goofballs swinging all around a pull-up bar and would've thought "why don't those fools just do strict pull-ups and deadlifts?", but I've made such stupid FITNESS gains in the past year at my Crossfit affiliate that I will probably never go back to a strict PL routine. Don't get me wrong, I might take a month off of Crossfit here or there because it isn't easy on the wallet, and sometimes a man's just gotta GOMAD, but overall, I'm a changed man.

    When I say overall fitness, I mean first that my big three haven't appreciably changed (they were never spectacular before, but better than the average joe), but get me doing something like running/swimming/lifting odd objects and I am a hoss compared to what I used to do. When I play pickup ball with my friends now, I'm routinely the first down on every fast break. I can also get more ups than I did before. My mile time has hit a lifetime PR, and I've hit a lifetime PR on 5k runs... and we hardly ever train running!

    In addition, I broke down and bought some VFF shoes... try them once on a field or a track and you will feel like you are a kid again, absolutely flying across the ground. It's absurd compared to clunky running shoes. Don't knock it til you've tried it.

    Also, for the uninitiated, a lot of the crossfit workouts incorporate heavy PL and OLY movements, so you don't need to feel like you're cheating on the iron. Hell, my favorite workouts at our affiliate are moderately-heavy deadlifts (225, usually, which I scale down because that's too much for the intensity of the rest of the workout!) paired with ring-dips or handstand pushups or something. They look deceptively easy... but try doing them all out without rest. Your overall fitness will absolutely EXPLODE.
    Ha..everything you just said describes the last 3 months of my life. It's wild how much your performance can change in everyday life. One example I use is that I can get an in-the-park homerun in my softball league (i'm not that good. they're just easy to get) where I sprint full-blast around the bases. I get back to the dugout and my breathing has barely increased..not much more than rotting up a flight of stairs. Meanwhile..any of my teammates does the same thing and they're bent over trying to get their breath back. I had no idea how much my overall strength/conditioning/physique could improve using crossfit. It's just...amazing.

    We're on a busy road, too, so I often wonder what people think when they see me running with a stack of fire hose, or running 400m backwards, or doing burpee broad jumps as a team..lol
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Similar Threads

  1. Becoming a Personal Trainer
    By ehubbard in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 08:56 PM
  2. Personal Trainer ?.............
    By [[[----]]] in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 10:03 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-10-2005, 10:09 AM
  4. personal trainer/gym instructor qualifications?
    By diego in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 01:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •