The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Chris-Diet & Nutrition TV ChristopherG.EU's Avatar

Power Quinoa Pilaf

This recipe yields six servings and per serving, you will get 16g of protein, 39g of carbohydrates and 8g of fat of which only 1g is saturated. That gives a total calorie count of about 300 calories. This is massive.

All you need is:

A half cup of diced carrot
    A half cup diced green onion
    A quarter cup of diced celery
    A quarter cup of diced green pepper
    A quarter cup of diced red pepper
    Six cups of cooked quinoa
    A quarter cup of olive oil
    Two cloves of crushed garlic
    A cup of roasted sliced almonds
    A quarter teaspoon of oregano
    And salt to taste

The first step is to cook the quinoa.
    How to cook quinoa
    The only negative attached to quinoa is that it contains a waxy coating, called saponin which has a bitter taste. It is extremely un-tasty, so you have to rinse the quinoa for at least 3 hours to wash this waxy coating away.

Quinoa is easy to prepare. It takes only 15 minutes to cook a family portion of this wonder food.
    Firstly, boil two cups of water for one cup of quinoa. Close the pot, lower the temperature and let it simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Let the quinoa absorb all of the water. You will see the germ separating from the seed. The cooked germ looks like a tiny wormy curl (look at the picture above). Remove it from the heat and let it stand for about 3 minutes to become fully fluffy.

The second step is to roast the almonds
    How to Roast Almonds
    Roasting brings out the flavor of almonds, and develops their sweetness. It is safe to roast them at a low temperature of about 160-170 degree Fahrenheit. At higher temperatures than this, research clearly shows that damage occurs to their delicate fats. 15-20 minutes will do the trick.

First place nuts on a cookie sheet in a single layer. To enhance the roasted flavor, I lightly mist them with soy sauce from a spray bottle.

The third step is to sauté the chopped vegetables in the olive oil until they have a lovely glazy look to them. Add the vegetables with the oil to the quinoa. Add the roasted almonds and a little salt to taste and mix the ingredients well.

This dish is already nutritiously well balanced and can be eaten on its own, but if you really need to add more protein, serve it alongside fish or chicken.

Any vegetable can be used in this pilaf, so do not stick with what I have done today. Be creative.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig New Member
    Love quinoa will definitly try!!!
    "You Go To wAr To KiLl, NoT tO Be KiLled"-Life Proverb

Wannabebig New Member
    The sound like interesting and also nutritious food. I think that We have to spent 1 to 2 hours for this food. I am not sure because I have never tried it before. I hope that You will disclose the calorie and protein level which We will get in this food.