The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

NEW ARTICLE - Unilateral Hypertrophy - Killing it One Leg at a Time!

If you’re trying to build a set of massive, indestructible legs, then there’s no doubt that you’ve heard the old mantra that “squats are king”.

However, not all trainees are built for deep squats and as a result they have built a side reputation for causing injuries. That's when single leg variations can be a very powerful option for building an impressive set of wheels.

Get ready to kill it, one leg at a time!

READ HERE

Oh and also welcome Mark as a new writer for Wannabebig!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gleaming the cube.. HabitualOffenda's Avatar
    Good read...I've been unable to squat for some time due to an knee injury and have been doing multiple versions of lunges,step ups,and assisted pistol variations.Quick question..do these single leg variations significantly hit the VMO (Vastus Medialus Oblique) as compared to a squat? Or perhaps the single leg variations are even better for vmo?
    6'0 170..Trying to get to 185!!!

Nice one, Mark. And welcome to WBB as a new writer!

I've actually got an article I'm working on as well about single leg training. When I first encountered a series of lower back and hip strains from squats, I switched to unilateral work for 8 weeks or so and it was the best fix I've ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by JCD View Post
    Nice one, Mark. And welcome to WBB as a new writer!

I've actually got an article I'm working on as well about single leg training. When I first encountered a series of lower back and hip strains from squats, I switched to unilateral work for 8 weeks or so and it was the best fix I've ever experienced.
    Same as above. After the switch squats just felt a whole lot more comfortable. I always include a single leg movement even if it's in the warm-up or between sets as a hip flexor stretch - the minute I don't things just feel awry.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    Same as above. After the switch squats just felt a whole lot more comfortable. I always include a single leg movement even if it's in the warm-up or between sets as a hip flexor stretch - the minute I don't things just feel awry.
    yea, my favorite movement currently is the hip flexor mobilizations. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCff13dGq7U

Wannabebig New Member Mark Young's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HabitualOffenda View Post
    Good read...I've been unable to squat for some time due to an knee injury and have been doing multiple versions of lunges,step ups,and assisted pistol variations.Quick question..do these single leg variations significantly hit the VMO (Vastus Medialus Oblique) as compared to a squat? Or perhaps the single leg variations are even better for vmo?
    To be totally honest, I'm not sure that there are a ton of weight room exercises that place a greater emphasis on one part of the quad versus the other. However, if your VMO isn't firing the bigger question to ask is WHY? If you have tightness in your TFL/IT Band that needs to be addressed this can effect VMO firing. I'd try foam rolling this if you already haven't.

Wannabebig New Member Mark Young's Avatar
    Thanks JCD and Daniel.

I totally agree. Single leg training is great for addressing mobility/stability issues in the hip and leg.

Banned
    OK, how the hell do you do these?

I tried some yesterday and even when I'm supporting myself with a firm grip on a rack I can barely do a quarter squat.

My knee wobbles all over the place, my upper-body doesn't stay balanced and my leg fails to support me. I honestly felt like I was going to injure my knee I was that unstable. Is it just a case of practice, practice, practice?

Do more. Lighter weight at first. Single leg squats, lunges, splits, etc. require you to balance, as well as execute the movement. It's all good. Progression is key. Even better, do them barefoot. Get all the foot and lower leg muscles and tendons stronger. If nothing else, it will help your big lifts. It will also reduce risk of injury from running, and reduce risk of a fall later in life. Shoes are bad for people. Lose them when you can.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Banned
    Nothing hits my glutes like heavy ass walking lunges. Great movement and safe for the back.