The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Newsletter Article - Improve Your Bench Press with Rotator Cuff Training

By Nick Tumminello

All serious lifters love putting up big bench press numbers. But, it’s no secret that what can come with those big bench press numbers is the possibility of shoulder problems. Particularly with the rotator cuff musculature. Shoulders problems are a lifters worst nightmare. These issues can really hinder your performance, prevent you from performing several tried and true exercises like the bench press. And, even put on the surgeons table.

Performing some simple rotator cuff strengthening exercises like the supine external rotation shown in the video can prevent all these negatives and even improve your strength!

I developed the supine shoulder external rotation exercise because most of the traditional exercises for external shoulder rotation are poorly designed and allow too much room for error and compensation:

Video

One of the best times to perform the supine external rotation exercise is as “active recovery” between sets of Bench press as shown in this video:

Video

Many of my athletes find performing the supine external rotation exercise between sets of bench press:

* Reduces shoulder pain/discomfort both during and after heavy pushing workouts by offsetting some of the heavy internal rotation stresses caused by the bench press.

* Helps them push bigger numbers each set by diverting blood flow to the opposing musculature which has been shown to increase recovery time and strength between sets

* Helps them maintain better muscle balance and symmetry between the anterior and posterior shoulder muscular. Muscle imbalances are a major cause of injury!

Coaching Tip – when performing the supine shoulder external rotation exercise, be sure to keep the resistance light and do not go to fatigue! Perform 10-15 reps

So, take my advice and throw in some smarter rotator cuff training between sets of heavy pushing exercises like the bench press. You will soon have stronger and healthier shoulders!

--------------

Nick Tumminello, the director of Performance University, is a nationally recognized coach and educator who works with a select group of athletes, physique competitors, and exercise enthusiasts in Baltimore, Maryland. Go to his website www.NickTumminello.com to get your free “Smarter & Stronger” video course.

------------------

This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - July 23rd, 2010

You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Excellent. This is very helpful to me right now.

I've been attempting more external rotation exercises recently and my ROM is awful. If I'm lying on my back I can't rotate my arms back far enough for my hands to reach the floor. If I'm standing and trying to rotate my forearm across my body it's even worse. I struggle to rotate my arm further than 45 degrees away from my body.

Because of these restrictions I feel like I'm struggling to do the exercises properly and work the muscles effectively. Are there any tips to stretching the area and improving ROM?