The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

NEW ARTICLE - What to do After the Diet - Avoid the Post Diet Binge

So you've successfully dieted down and after months of hard work, you're finally sporting a set of abs and have hit your weight target. Good job buddy! Next comes the REALLY hard bit - avoiding the post diet binge..

Learn how to make the leap from the despair of dietary restriction back into the realm of normalcy.

We present you with six guidelines to help craft your post-diet program!

Read here - http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...st-diet-binge/
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Ryan,

Great article. How exactly would you recommend going into a gaining phase out of a cut? I assume you just continue to slowly bring up calories and lifting frequency until you get to the levels needed for muscle growth, but is there anything else you recommend?

I wannabebig!
    self control

Fantastic article, What a gret topic. Coming off a successful diet can be rather tricky.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Great article, this is a subject that is almost never touched upon. You hear so many stories about people losing weight then a year later they have gained most of it back and have to start the whole dieting process again ( I have done this myself ).
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

just what I need! im down to 268 from 275. Not done yet, going for the 6 pack or 242 which ever comes first. I was just thinking about how I'd go back to a slow bulk after I finished.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Banned
    Having experienced this very phenomenon first hand in the past 3 weeks I am amazed at anyone who is able to return to normal eating after dieting to sub 8% bf without massive binging. I followed every protocol in slowly tapering cals up in small increments. Eventually I snapped into a massive binge even tho I was consuming 3k cals per day. I'm still carrying a 6 pack but repairing the damage will take at least a month or two.

For me..... a free meal is useless because once the meal starts, it doesn't stop Until I goto bed

In summary.... good article in theory... borderline impossible in reality

To play devils advocate:

I read a study once that was indicative of calorie balance always winning in the end. The flaw being that most individuals don't track or aren't tracked long enough to necessarily see all the rebound effects of a diet. Conclusions being drawn that if an X-length diet was perform that reduced X-amount of calories through either diet or exercise that those total calories lost would almost inevitably be reconsumed over and above maintanence calories at some point in the individuals life. Perhaps even years down the road. If anyone has truly experienced the difficulty of coming off of a diet deemed "successful" because the individual reached a low bodyfat your eyebrows really raise at hearing something like this. I know in times past I've felt the battle is futile until I'm back at my setpoint, or at least close.

Going over the logbook from my last diet where I tracked daily weight, macros, and cardio apart from my exercise logbook (which was pretty much static) a correlation can be seen between everytime I deviated from my set protocol to a recent time I did something extreme in my diet or extra cardio. Ironically, the dieting tool I personally feel most destructive for the old subcutaneous fat (HIIT) seems to almost be inevitably followed by some type of diet deviation within the next few days looking back.

Couple studies and imput like this with some eye opening statistics about how much fat is regained by liposuction patients and one has reason to be pesemistic about their transition. It would seem for someone taking such an easy road out and not fighting the stressful days on end of starvation and intense cardio that their hormonal balance wouldn't really be offbalanced enough to cause the bingeing associated with their common rapid weight regain. However liposuction patients carry a disturbingly high immediate relapse rate which if you think about it shouldn't really be so immediate unless in fact their hormones are offest simply by the bodyfat reduction. Which IMO is almost conclusive of people having natural bodyfat setpoints that they're always going to find their way back to unless the individual wants to regularly fight it.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Im curious what everyones experience is regarding adding calories post contest or post prep diet. The author suggests a 500 cal a week increase, and while Ive found very little specific direction out there for upping intake it would seem the consensus is often lower.

I am transitioning to an "off-season" diet and have started with simply adding 200 cals to each day in week increments...mostly in the form of 50g carb increase into macros. In my best estimate, this puts me at ~4 weeks before Im at/over maintenance.

What have the rest of you found to be a successful transition (minimal fat gain in transition to surplus.)

On a related note, its funny how fast your mind jumps ahead of your body. Just the though of increasing calories has increased my hunger, and got my mind racing to find ways to fill the gap. I still believe eating clean/controlling macros while in surplus is far more challenging than in deficit/prep.
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Wannabebig New Member
    First off, great article, but my situation (and will power) is a little different than most people. I did P90x, its a 3 month program, and during that time I was on a very strict diet. When I finished P90x, I had a day where I letterally ate whatever I wanted and however much I wanted for a whole day. Had a jar of Peanut butter in one hand, with Cookies, chocolate, and pizza on the other. I went full on Fat Ass mode for one day. That was on a saturday, the next day was sunday, and I went back to my strict diet with no problems. I started Insanity the next week. So I stayed on the diet, but I dont feel its a diet rather than eating the proper amount of calories needed, and making sure they are all healthy calories. I'm about 5 weeks away from finishing Insanity, at which point I am on track to finally have that 6-pack I have wanted for so long. I wanted to know if I have another one of the "Fat Ass" days, and then go back to a regular healthy diet and exercise routine like I plan on doing, then will this affect my results. Now I dont beleive in cheat days, or meals, or snacks. Not even grahm crackers touch my lips During these months of dieting, I believe in all or nothing until you reach your goal. So what I'm trying to ask is, Can one day kill me? Can it raise my Body fat percentage at all, to the point I might loose my sixpack? Is it possible to do that much damage in one day? Also If one day does not kill you, then how often would it be okay for me to go on one of those binges? I know you advise against it, but I have already managed to have one, and proceed a healthy diet the next day no problem. Like if went all out for Thanksgiving and Christmas, would that cause me to see a negative effect?? If you reply to this I would deeply appreciate it. I humbly wish to learn if im in danger of wasting my efforts.

You can do a lot of damage in one day. But there's still a celing on that I believe. I've probably set myself back as far as 6-7 days with one incredibly serious binge day in the past. You're setting yourself up for the same with this mentality "I dont beleive in cheat days, or meals, or snacks. Not even grahm crackers touch my lips During these months of dieting, I believe in all or nothing until you reach your goal.". What's going to happen is you will reach that goal and then won't be able to allow just a little. The best dieters are the ones who allow those grahm crackers or whatever they want at times. But just fit it in. Total deprivation leads way to total deviation.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    You can do a lot of damage in one day. But there's still a celing on that I believe. I've probably set myself back as far as 6-7 days with one incredibly serious binge day in the past. You're setting yourself up for the same with this mentality "I dont beleive in cheat days, or meals, or snacks. Not even grahm crackers touch my lips During these months of dieting, I believe in all or nothing until you reach your goal.". What's going to happen is you will reach that goal and then won't be able to allow just a little. The best dieters are the ones who allow those grahm crackers or whatever they want at times. But just fit it in. Total deprivation leads way to total deviation.
    I understand what you mean, I'm going to just ease my way back to a more normal plan once im done with Insanity. That way I dont binge, and will still maintain a healthy diet. Thanks.