The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

A short squat video

On Monday I took a video from the side of my last two sets of squats. The purpose was to try and see if I can tell a difference in speed and technique between the 2 sets while wearing different shoes (i'm having a hard time figuring out which to use). The first set is my pair of VS Athletics weightlifting shoes and the second is my Chuck Taylors. I thought this was going to be fun, but for some reason i'm not having fun, lol!!!

Let me know what you guys think!!!!!

Video
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

apples to oranges, shoes you are used to with a wider stance you are probably used to, compared to new shoes with a more narrow stance. It honestly just looked like you were more comfortable with it and used to how its supposed to go. Can't really tell much else from it imo.

Hopp,
    nice squatting!! do you feel shoes make that much difference? Hell i squat in Nike's. Should i invest in some flat soled shoes before the GA meet? keep working, your a strong dude!!!
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

Look more comfortable and explosive in the second set. What other feedback are you looking for, if any?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Hard to gage, the close stance squats were deeper.

I do feel overall a raw closer stance will aid you more in the long run, Especially with injury prevention.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Wannabebig Member

Not for Speed

Shoes should have nothing to do with speed unfortunately. However they do have alot to do with strength and technique. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. I will give Westside the credit here on this as Louie has done all the research. Flat shoes will enable you to sit back and use more of the hips to squat. A heeled shoe will force you to use more quad. In the long run sitting back more and using more hip instead of quads will produce a bigger squat. Take the time to squat in your Chuck's and your numbers will go up. Doing alot of band work is the best way to improve speed on your squats.

Hey Brian! It appears you're deeper and even a little more upright narrow and with the weightlifting shoes. I suspect this is because you obviously have very dominant and developed quads. You were a little more forward in the chucks with the slightly wider stance. If you've not been squatting wider before your hams, adductors and glutes might need some time out wider to adapt. I think you might tell more with a vid of the different shoes with the same weight and the same stance. I think your depth being shallower on the second set was because of not being more upright and sat back (result of the glutes, ham, low back) than from the shoes. Really strong squats in both! My personal preference is chucks and wide (very wide!), but take your time getting out there if you go that route. Let those muscles develope slowly so you have no injuries!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

What's the goal here? To find out which shoes you will use for a raw meet or a full multiply geared squat? From what I see I would stick with the weightlifting shoe if you plan on doing a raw meet or trying out single ply. If you are thinking of using them in multiply gear I would try this again with gear on. You appear to descend much slower in the Chuck's. The speed coming up is roughly the same to me. And you get depth better with the weightlifting shoe. To me it seems you have better balance in the weightlifting shoe.