Thread: Touching in a Overkill shirt

Touching in a Overkill shirt

I have a friend who has had the Overkill bench shirt for around the last month and he is having a lot of trouble touching his chest.He gets to around and inch or two from touching and can no longer get the weight to move any lower.He can go up too about 600 rather easily but can't get it, or almost any other weight to touch either.

The group gives him commands belly up lift your head etc... but he still can't touch.Is it a case of just needing more time to break in the shirt or is it more of technique when i get a chance i will get video he has a meet in illinois next weekend and we really have to get something figured out any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Erik 23; 08-06-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Have you tried doing triples in the shirt, trying to bring it down more each time?

Also, don't work down boards to warm up (not sure what he does). Just "float" all your reps and just bring them down until he can't go any farther. This will warm up the shirt and stretch it a tad, but also keep him in the correct groove.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Ok thanx for the advice i will let my friend know what you told me. appreciate it.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I did Rob's bench clinic and triples are exactly what he had us doing to touch... no boards.... I had never touched anything under 500 in my 2-ply Overkill but he got me to touch 365 on the third rep...... I easily open around 550-575 and have gone 606 in a meet..... so it's not like the shirt is so loose it tops out really light.

Keep your head back and don't let yourself flatten out...... I'll probably be at the APF meet this weekend to help Pete Arroyo, make sure to say Hi......Rudy will be there too. If you have any questions just ask him then, he's really good at spotting hang-ups in someone's form.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Read this http://articles.elitefts.com/article...rt-of-triples/

You can also try wetting the shirt a bit.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 08-11-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    I did Rob's bench clinic and triples are exactly what he had us doing to touch... no boards.... I had never touched anything under 500 in my 2-ply Overkill but he got me to touch 365 on the third rep...... I easily open around 550-575 and have gone 606 in a meet..... so it's not like the shirt is so loose it tops out really light.

Keep your head back and don't let yourself flatten out...... I'll probably be at the APF meet this weekend to help Pete Arroyo, make sure to say Hi......Rudy will be there too. If you have any questions just ask him then, he's really good at spotting hang-ups in someone's form.
    Hey Barz thanx this info helped a lot ill make sure to say hi im steve wagners friend so im sure ill see you up there as you train with him more now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Read this http://articles.elitefts.com/article...rt-of-triples/

You can also try wetting the shirt a bit.
    Thanx for the info ill let him know.

Some things that have helped me:

- Bar speed. If you are inching the bar down its never going to touch. This is why triples work so well, because you are running out of air and you start to increase the speed.
    - Patience. 1 inch away sometimes is going to take a second, don't freak out when the bar almost stops. Just keep going with it and drive your heals down/stomach up.

I am a horrible bencher for the record haha. To be honest I always find it much easier to touch weights in a contest as well.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Im with Selk.... Having good bar speed it always good, but it has to be controled. but being patient is really the most important thing. I remeber watching Vinnie D. interview with tate from a few years ago and one thing he said was he teaches his benchers to be patient when sh1t starts geting nuts. Thats helped me alot Another thing Ive thought has helped me when driving my hells down really flex my Glutes hard. when my glutes are cramping after wards i really know i was using my legs to stay up