Thread: What are some excercises for necks?

Wannabebig Member

What are some excercises for necks?

If you wanted to improve your neck muscles?

I lay on a bench with my head hanging off of it, then just press against my forehead with my hands as hard as I can support and do 3 sets of 15, 2x a week. Then I do the same but for the back of the neck (roll over). Eventually you'll need to get a neck harness and do it with weights, but it's pretty tough at first.

You can also do things like neck bridges, like the wrestlers do... but I have no idea how to do them properly... so I don't.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Deadlift.

Deadlifts/cleans hit your traps, you can do shrugs to isolate

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    I lay on a bench with my head hanging off of it, then just press against my forehead with my hands as hard as I can support and do 3 sets of 15, 2x a week.
    i used to do something like this, but i would wrap a plate in a towel and hold it on my head. kinda like doing crunches, but for your neck. theres another one ive seen where you put a swiss ball against the wall, then lean into it with your head so that your neck it supporting you, do it for like 15-20 secs each side. more of an isometric approach.

all in all though, i stopped doing those kinds of exercises a couple of years ago and have seen more improvement in my neck area just from deadlifting and shrugging. i guess it wouldnt hurt to incorporate neck isolation exercises if you really want to improve those muscles, but i think deadlifting and maybe shrugs are really all that you need.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

My neck definitely got bigger from just doing deads, but the neck itself didnt' keep up with the overall yoke... so for me, doing the isolation movements has gotten me the width to keep my neck as wide as my jaw, which is what I wanted.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Your neck will grow as your body does. I've noticed my collar size increase as I bulk.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Your neck will grow as your body does. I've noticed my collar size increase as I bulk.
    i hope it does, my neck is very slim compared with my body proportion. i want it more wider.

i grabbed a neck harness off of APT and i do 50 every morning when i wake up and 50 before i go to bed. ive been doing this about 3 weeks now and can see a slight difference already. jim wendler gets asked about getting a bigger yoke all the time because when he was younger and powerlifting he had a monster yoke, he suggests 100 every morning and 100 every night. they say the neck muscle is the fastest growing muscle, dont know if its true or why it would be true but i have read that several times.
    here is the harness i got and it does the job but im sure there are better ones out there, but you cant beat the price:
    APT neck harness

Banned
    I've been looking into neck training recently, not for aesthetics but just for general safety, and everything indicates they respond very well to both isolation work and volume. Deadlifting will only take you so far and beyond that you need specific training. Neck harness, towel and plate, chains, hand resistance...

It makes sense to do some direct work. It's got to be one of the most vulnerable points of the body and I don't want to fall and break my neck one day.

You can do direct neck work with a harness; your neck can be worked indirectly by a number of other exercises. These exercises include shrugs, farmers walk, deadlift, high pulls, power clean, upright rows, and many other upper back movements.

In general your neck will typically grow in proportion to the rest of your body (usually matches your arms/calves).
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com