The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

Different types of curl

I've been doing standing barbell curls for a couple of months now but I find it increasingly tough on the wrists. I have flexibility issues due to a broken wrist years ago.

What should I replace them with?

I know barbells are superior to EZ bars because they allow for greater contraction, but how significant is that really?

I suppose I have a choice between EZ bar standing or preacher curls, or some kind of dumbbell exercise. Which will be best?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

When it comes to training biceps there is no one best exercise just a variety. It doesn't make a difference if you use an EZ bar or straight bar, you control the contraction,not the weight. Some various bicep exercises:

- Cable curl
    - High pulley concentration curl
    - DB concentration curl
    - Machine preacher curl
    - One arm DB curl
    - Alternating DB curl
    - Horizontal cable curl

There are lots of options to choose from and cables tend to work best because of the continuous tension, but they shouldn't just be the only thing used.

Dumbbell Incline Curl works well for me.

Bent Over Rows?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    When it comes to training biceps there is no one best exercise just a variety. It doesn't make a difference if you use an EZ bar or straight bar, you control the contraction,not the weight.
    But don't biomechanics play a part? If the angle of the wrist physically shortens the angle of contraction when doing EZ bar curls wouldn't that put a cap on the peak contraction of the muscle? If you say it doesn't matter, then that's great, I'll start doing EZ bar curls as they're less uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress
    There are lots of options to choose from and cables tend to work best because of the continuous tension, but they shouldn't just be the only thing used.
    I'm doing HCT-12 which calls for one biceps exercise.

If you say I should be doing multiple types, would it be best to do a different one each session or a different one each cycle (every 4 weeks)? I don't really like changing exercises too much because it's hard to keep track of progress.

Thanks.

you are way over-thinking this. just grab something and curl it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    you are way over-thinking this. just grab something and curl it.
    No. My wrist hurts when I curl with a straight bar. The question is simple: "which do you prefer between ez bar curls or dumbbell curls?"

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    No. My wrist hurts when I curl with a straight bar. The question is simple: "which do you prefer between ez bar curls or dumbbell curls?"
    ez curls hurt my wrists too. I do dumbells when I do them.
    Last edited by Coqui; 07-30-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I like hammer curls over anything else I've tried. Most other types hurt my wrists in some way or another.

For unexplained reasons, I also have developed pain in the wrists with BB curls.
    For me, it occurs in the outer wrist bone, a few inches up the arm from the wrist.
    I switched to a curl bar, but it was still there.

I just quit doing it, and do seated DB curls and hold them hammer-style. And if I'm feeling froggy, I'll polish it off with some cable machine curls like Allen listed above.
    Last edited by Bosch232; 07-30-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

maybe you should just try a different grip position on the straight bar. or maybe its because you have weak forearms and you should incorporate more grip work into your training.

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    But don't biomechanics play a part? If the angle of the wrist physically shortens the angle of contraction when doing EZ bar curls wouldn't that put a cap on the peak contraction of the muscle? If you say it doesn't matter, then that's great, I'll start doing EZ bar curls as they're less uncomfortable.

I'm doing HCT-12 which calls for one biceps exercise.

If you say I should be doing multiple types, would it be best to do a different one each session or a different one each cycle (every 4 weeks)? I don't really like changing exercises too much because it's hard to keep track of progress.

Thanks.
    Yes biomechanics play a part to an extent, but unless your doing a hammer or zottman curl then its not a big deal. Don't overcomplicate it.

Either choice is fine. You can change each week or stick with same as well. I wouldn't exactly measure progress on curls by just focusing on weight , focus more on the target muscle doing the work. Contract the bicep up and fight the flex with bicep on way down.