Thread: weightlifting question

Weak Mofo

weightlifting question

before I ask this question, i'm just going to warn you i'm a complete novice and have just started weightlifting in the last month.

question: i've been weightlifting for almost a month now at my home with a bench I have and some free weights. I've been benching (3x5 sets) and bicept curls (as many reps as I can do till my arms give out) and tricept extensions (same). I know this is not a good way to gain strength, but in only 3 weeks i've gone from benching 115 to benching 145, so atleast it has worked some. But anyways, the question is: should I be sore the next day after lifting? I've worked a labor job for 4 years and nothing seems to make me sore. I don't know if I should be getting sore or not. But regardless i've been making decent gains for just 3 weeks of lifting.

all advice welcome! Thanks

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    before I ask this question, i'm just going to warn you i'm a complete novice and have just started weightlifting in the last month.

question: i've been weightlifting for almost a month now at my home with a bench I have and some free weights. I've been benching (3x5 sets) and bicept curls (as many reps as I can do till my arms give out) and tricept extensions (same). I know this is not a good way to gain strength, but in only 3 weeks i've gone from benching 115 to benching 145, so atleast it has worked some. But anyways, the question is: should I be sore the next day after lifting? I've worked a labor job for 4 years and nothing seems to make me sore. I don't know if I should be getting sore or not. But regardless i've been making decent gains for just 3 weeks of lifting.

Soreness is not really an indicator of work done, don't worry about it.

You should however look for a good pre-made routine to get on, something like Starting Strength.

And not to be that guy, if you've struck my pet peeve. It's bicep and tricep with no t

Good luck, wags gave good advice.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I wonder why some people spell bicep and tricep with a 't' on the end? It doesn't even sound like it has a 't'.

No biggie, just wondering why I see it all the time.

Anyway OP, ya go with a premade routine. You will probably want to look into getting a gym membership if you're serious about training though. There's not much you can do if you lack the proper equipment.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

+1 for premade routine.

And don't be afraid to work out legs some too!
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Weak Mofo
    Wags - Thank you for the advice. I really want to eventually do Starting Strength, but at this point in time I cannot afford a gym membership and I don't have the needed equipment at home, so I figured I'd atleast not be lazy and try to make the best of what I do have within my reach. (And honestly it's been working quite well for me, so far atleast)

KoSh - Sorry about the spellings... Ironically I knew they weren't supposed to have t's at the end. Everyone I know pronounces bicep and tricep as if they have t's at the end, so if I'm not thinking about it I end up adding t's at the end. my bad

brihead - I really would like a membership to a gym, and I will do so as soon as I can afford it. But unfortunately at this point in time all I have access to is the bench I own and some 25 pound dumbells. So I figure I'll just mess around with that until I can get a membership. I have increased my benching weight by 35 pounds in just 3 weeks though by doing what I've been doing, but I'm certain that's only because I've never weightlifted before and I'm weak so I dont expect to see any gains like that again.

tnathletics2b - Actually the reason I decided to work out my upper body at all is because my legs are a ton more toned than my upper body. I usually bike between 10-20 miles a day offroad as well as run, so my legs are doing pretty well I have to admit. I know that I should include them in lifting too though, so I will work on that. I also do core workouts but I haven't used weights for it yet, that's why I only mentioned my arms and benching.

Thanks for the advice guys!

One last question: So even if I'm not sore the next day, should I still take a day or two off from doing the same lifts?

Wannabebig Member
    You can do SS with that equipment, I was weight lifting with pretty much the same supplies as you had for almost a full year, I did SS up until HCT-12 came out then I bought a rack.

Wannabebig Member
    One last question: So even if I'm not sore the next day, should I still take a day or two off from doing the same lifts?
    Your muscles will require at least 2-3 days to recover, depending on volume and intensity. Most people here wouldn't advise working the same muscle group more than twice a week (there are exceptions, however. You might notice that SS places a heavy emphasis on 3x weekly squats) and not more than 4 days of lifting per week. This is generally good advice for beginning lifters.

Biking and running certainly won't hurt. But, they aren't weight training. The load on your legs while running and biking is too light to create much size or strength gains. If you have a barbell for benching then you can do alot for your legs, even without a rack. Deadlifts, barbell lunges, single leg squats, etc. are your friends. If you like to bike and run you'll find that doing some heavier lower body training will go along ways towards keeping you from injuries.

Feel free to do some barbell rows as an antagonist movement to the benching. You could do hack squats and SLDL or RDL for legs. Hells bells, you can probably deadlift or do power/hang cleans as well.
    Form > weight.

Find/figure out what lifts you can do with the equipment you have.

Good luck!

Weak Mofo
    Well, hmmmm. I would love to deadlift with what I have, but I only have 160 pounds worth of weights. I've deadlifted before in the past and 160 pounds is a little on the light side. I could definitely do what I can though. I'm definitely going to look into some of the other things to do that you guys have provided me. Thank you all very much