Thread: Moving exercise order in a push/pull/legs split

Moving exercise order in a push/pull/legs split

I was looking at doing a 3 day push/pull/legs split. If I moved the exercises around so that the days aren't separated by push/pull but so that it does each muscle group twice per week (e.g. instead of having Bench Press and Flyes on push day, have one on each day so that chest is getting hit twice per week) - would that be better or worse or no different? The recovery time is still fine since leg day is between the two workouts, and working a muscle twice per week instead of once is normal

To be clear: I am not adding/removing any exercises, just swapping them around on the push and pull days so the muscles are being hit twice a week (usually a compound one day and isolation the other)

Post your proposed routine.

Original routine is:

Mon:
    Bench Press
    Shoulder Press
    Chest Flies
    Skull Crushers

Wed:
    Squat
    RDL or SLDL
    Abs
    Calve Raises
    Shrugs

Fri:
    Chins
    Dumbell Rows
    Bicep Curl
    Side Lateral Raises

I want to change it to:

Mon:
    Bench Press
    Dumbell Rows
    Side Lateral Raises
    Bicep Curl

Wed:
    Squat
    RDL or SLDL
    Abs
    Calve Raises
    Shrugs

Fri:
    Chins
    Shoulder Press
    Chest Flies
    Skull Crushers

Wannabebig Member
    If you're doing them correctly, you'll probably get enough abs from your Squats and RDLs on day 2 that you could move your isolation ab work to a different day.

To be honest I feel my abs getting worked more from chinups than squats/RDLs.

Anyone have any opinions on how I've changed the workout?

On your second routine example, I would switch Monday and Friday. Either one looks like a split you could do fine with provided everything else is in order.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member
    I like your workout. I have a couple questions.

I am probably wrong but Shrugs look out of place why did you include them on what seems more like a leg day
    What will you do for ab work?
    What is the set/rep numbers for the exercises?

Im not ripping on your workout, I am looking to start something new and yours seems like something I could take off with. I already do alot of the exercises you do yet you have some new ones included.

Quote Originally Posted by joey54
    On your second routine example, I would switch Monday and Friday. Either one looks like a split you could do fine with provided everything else is in order
    Cool, yeah diet and rest etc is all sorted - why do you suggest switching mon & fri?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_D
    I like your workout. I have a couple questions.

I am probably wrong but Shrugs look out of place why did you include them on what seems more like a leg day
    What will you do for ab work?
    What is the set/rep numbers for the exercises?

Im not ripping on your workout, I am looking to start something new and yours seems like something I could take off with. I already do alot of the exercises you do yet you have some new ones included.
    Shrugs weren't in the original routine (only one I added in) - I just put them in because I know from experience my traps don't grow well without any isolation. I put them on this day because they will get hit with the deadlifts on this day, plus I find after abs and calve raises I am able to do more work without too many problems (know this from doing HCT-12)

I'm doing 3x8-10 sets/reps but that's just because I have done well on this in the past so want to go back to it as I haven't been doing it in a while

And for abs I'm going to do weighted crunches since it's basically the only ab workout I can do with weights with my setup. The routine said abs so I guess that you could do anything
    Last edited by greemah; 07-31-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I am going to follow this workout. Where would you suggest throwing dips in at?

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Cool, yeah diet and rest etc is all sorted - why do you suggest switching mon & fri?
    I would prefer to have 3 days of rest prior to the chest specific pushing exercises, rather than hitting shoulders friday, and having two days off prior to doing shoulder. Since you aren't including deads with your back work, I would actually go Mon, Tues, Friday, or some combination of that. It comes down to what you feel you need to do to get the best out of each workout.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy_D View Post
    The bench press day with the first option and the chin/shoulder press day with the second. Remove skull crushers.

Just get under the bar!

Haha...there are tons of quality pre-made routines on this forum and you choose a routine posted by a guy looking for advice...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Haha...there are tons of quality pre-made routines on this forum and you choose a routine posted by a guy looking for advice...
    Sure What is so bad about this workout. Check out the workout I am currently doing. I posted it in the other thread of mine that you responded in. Ive been told its to much volume. This workout uses all the same compound movements with some other stuff added in. I know what my other workout got me so I will try this, Ill know in a couple months if I should go back to the old, look for something new, or continue.

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    I would prefer to have 3 days of rest prior to the chest specific pushing exercises, rather than hitting shoulders friday, and having two days off prior to doing shoulder. Since you aren't including deads with your back work, I would actually go Mon, Tues, Friday, or some combination of that. It comes down to what you feel you need to do to get the best out of each workout.
    Ah I see what you mean, good tip I'll do that thanks

Sure What is so bad about this workout. Check out the workout I am currently doing. I posted it in the other thread of mine that you responded in. Ive been told its to much volume. This workout uses all the same compound movements with some other stuff added in. I know what my other workout got me so I will try this, Ill know in a couple months if I should go back to the old, look for something new, or continue.
    To be perfectly honest, you are a beginner and need a beginner routine. But I answered most of that in the other thread and I don't want to mess this one up. I wish you luck with whatever you choose.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

A simple list of exercises isn't enough information to deem a routine/program good/bad/effective/****ty. Not knowing this shows a great lack of knowledge concerning proper training and I encourage you to read up on it... Starting Strength, Practical Programming, Supertraining, Pavel Tsoutlinie's (sp?) books are all pretty good.

The reality is, you could do a "routine" of only 4-7 different lifts (ie Squats, Dead lifts, SOHPress, Bench, Chins, Row, Powerclean) 3x a week and if properly programmed you can make incredible progress.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    A simple list of exercises isn't enough information to deem a routine/program good/bad/effective/****ty..
    Exactly! And a horrible start for a beginner.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal