Thread: Rant

Rant

where's a guy to go to get honest info free of product endorsements, or writers with a vested interest?

go check out Powerlifting Watch, around page 3 there is piece on super strong raw lifter Konstantinov.
    Read what KK says about this new piece of training aid called Sling Shot, and see if something doesn't quite sound right?

Pure endorsement. I don't think anyone who's legitimately saying a product works is going to get it yesterday, work out with it today, then endorse it like crazy the next. I would guess he's gonna put that thing through it's paces, just as someone reviewing a car would do. Now if he was like, "the first time I put it on, I felt a noticeable difference in my close grip press, and I'm looking forward to using it more and more to test these feelings..." that'd be completely different. But the way KK endorses that thing is as if he's been using it all season.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

TJW
    Well to look at it simply, money talks. But, unless you train with the guys who endorse the product, how do you know they aren't honest in their opinion/endorsement. Unless you train with KK, you have no way of knowing whether he is telling the truth or not. If you are that concerned about a product, wait until someone you know uses it, or until there are enough opinions out there to make a better judgement.

Think of it this way, I doubt Mark Bell paid him anything. He most likely simply gave him a free one. KK probably liked it and Mark asked him to say so. I have yet to try one, but I think I will get one as I would rather use that than a shirt.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

gator hit the nail on the head. How do you know for sure that he's not telling the truth? Like Chris, I have not tried one so I cannot comment on whether or not I think it'd transfer over to raw benching, but if KK thinks it'll transfer, so be it.

Similar to boards maybe? Some people are fans of them, others think they are mostly for geared lifters

What I do sometimes find confusing is that when speaking about "honest" recommendations is that if a person has something positive to say about a product, many times it's assumed that they have ulterior motives and that means their recommendation is worthless. But if someone has something negative to say about a product, it's assumed that their motives are unbiased and must be true.

Obviously not always the case, but something I have noticed in the past

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    gator hit the nail on the head. How do you know for sure that he's not telling the truth? Like Chris, I have not tried one so I cannot comment on whether or not I think it'd transfer over to raw benching, but if KK thinks it'll transfer, so be it.

Similar to boards maybe? Some people are fans of them, others think they are mostly for geared lifters

What I do sometimes find confusing is that when speaking about "honest" recommendations is that if a person has something positive to say about a product, many times it's assumed that they have ulterior motives and that means their recommendation is worthless. But if someone has something negative to say about a product, it's assumed that their motives are unbiased and must be true.

Obviously not always the case, but something I have noticed in the past

Just curious, Is Mr. Travis Bell the younger brother of Mark bell ?

are they related

Don't frequent the boards much? No they aren't related.

Just get under the bar!

@ Gator, Travis, and Chis
    I'm just saying that when you say "I just got my Sling Shot yesterday..." and then you go on about how you been using it and how it all that, should I be expected to believe all that?

How on earth could you have put it thru the paces since yesterday to make a fair/honest assessment of its worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian205 View Post
    Just curious, Is Mr. Travis Bell the younger brother of Mark bell ?

are they related
    We are good friends, but no we are not related.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugby Dad View Post
    @ Gator, Travis, and Chis
    I'm just saying that when you say "I just got my Sling Shot yesterday..." and then you go on about how you been using it and how it all that, should I be expected to believe all that?

How on earth could you have put it thru the paces since yesterday to make a fair/honest assessment of its worth?
    Like I said, I haven't used one so I can't comment on how quickly one could see the benefits

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I agree with many posts here on this thread but to me the bigger problem is that the general advertising and marketing community has been defined by some shady individuals. This has really moved the advertising and or marketing community into the "propaganda" department (and I mean propaganda by todays definition which has evolved to have a pretty negitive connotation in itself). When information lacks impartial evaluations and controls it begins loose power in the long run BUT the payout in the short term can be substantial! All depends on the goals... And this are some slippery slopes when you are presenting infomation in an attempt to influence a demographic of people to buy? Revenue is created by sales and sales are influenced largely by the opinion of the product. Marketing has become a game of persuasion with the truth and facts "sprinkled" in where needed!

You see it all the time on the tube! Your fat, your old, your ugly, you need money!..... SO buy this workout program, this pill to make you feel younger, or this one to help your face, buy my money management system! I have an idea, stop eating junk! Realize we are all getting older (its a part of life)! And stop buying crap with a credit card that you can't pay cash for and go to church!!!!

OK I am done........... Needed to get that off my chest, anyway we are all looking for that one thing, will this make me stronger? will this help in my quest for strength or whatever! The truth is that what works for one guy may not work for you at all! This "sling shot" thing could be the greatest thing this guy ever used, but may be nothing more than something to shoot birds off the light pole in front of my house? No one thing EVER works for EVERYONE....

Travis is not related, but he is chubby enough to be one of the family...