The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Help with deadlift

I've just started doing deadlifts and I have a small problem. I pick the bar up off the ground and go down to the ground every rep (is that okay) but when I straighted up my knees always lock out before my hips do. When my knees straighten I'm still bent over about 15 degrees at the hips. I've tried several times to correct this but I cant. Any suggestions?

One more thing, when I'm doing stiff legged deadlifts when I get all the way to the bottom my back humps slightly over. It has nice form all the way down but just at the bottom it goes bad. Is that okay too, or should I work at correcting it?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Mystic Eric
    I don't understand what your first problem is but as for your second, you will definately want to stop rounding your back immediately. I guarentee that once you go up in a weight a little, you will damage your back. As your flexibility improves, you will be able to go lower on the stiff leg deads, but don't force it if it isn't there. It isn't even essential that you go all the way down to the bottom; especially if you can't reach it with proper form. Go deep enough so that you feel a good stretch while maintaning a straight back.

Sorry, my first question might not have been worded well. Ill try to word it a little bit better.

When doing deadlifts, your knee and hip joints should straighten at the same time right. When I pick the bar up I'm leaning a bit forward and am bent at the knees. As I start to come up my knees straighten quickly but my torso stays bent over a bit until the very end. Is that okay or should I be straightening all at once?

Mystic Eric
    How close are you holding the bar to your body when you're in the process of lifting the bar?

Its usually rubbing against my shins.

Mystic Eric
    I dunno what you're doing wrong then???