The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Garage Training

So here I am again. Back at it finally. It's been almost five months since I've done anything. Lost about 20 lbs and sitting at 141. Back in March I had a life changing experience. My wife left me and I lost almost everything I worked so hard to build. My wife meant everything to me and I loved her very much. She did not feel the same and I found my love unrequited. I tried for three months to hold on to her as she broke my heart into pieces with things she did. Sometimes life doesn't have a happy ending. But that's life right? I was out on my deck of my new apartment in June, no more house, no more happy marriage, no more gym, no more dog, no more strength, no motivation and the body I worked to achieve was wasting away. The family we were trying to start was over before it began. I almost lost my job and I was lonely as ****ing hell and seriously contemplating leaving this world. It was then I realized I was still a happy man at my core. Nothing will ever be the same for me but I realized one thing. Powerlifting is more than an outlet for me. It defines me and it is my fuel. I found it for myself and made this niche in my life. I love it and will continue to love it until I die or my body doesn't work anymore. Things came around for me and through a lot of work I have overcome many emotional obstacles. I have a long way to go still but I can see my future again. My motivation has returned. My fire is burning again. It's just me now and that's just fine. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger. ****in' A Right.

I rebuilt my gym in my single car apartment garage. You see, I sold everything to try and save my marriage. I thought it was a solution to an unsolvable problem. A lesson I had to learn. Rebuilt the whole thing from the ground up. Just finishing up a few small things this week. I'll have photos of the new place up this week. It came out great and I can't wait to SFW in there.

I have some goals in mind. I will keep them to myself but my journey begins soon. Looking forward to training and logging in here again. I feel I'm finally ready to step back onto the platform. Going to take it slow until I can get some strength back and get my diet in check. I still have my foundation, so this is going to be interesting I think. My main goal is to recreate myself and rise from the ashes I crumbled into. Life is just ****ing strange and sometimes you have to live your worst nightmare and overcome your greatest fears to learn the most valuable lessons. Looking forward to training along side my brothers in iron on these forums again.
    Last edited by Kiaran; 09-16-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Keph, t takes a lot of guts to do what you just did. To put it all out there like that.

I am truly sorry to hear about this situation. What a 30th ****in' year? Unless anyone has experienced an event like this it is impossible to even imagine how you felt so I think it would be insincere of me to try and offer some advice or spout a quote to comfort.

Keep the head up and keep moving forward. I know this is the interwebs but if there is ever a time you need a rant we are all here to listen. I know there will be a lot of us really glad to have you back. Looking forward to seeing you crush weights again. You will be back to where you were and beyond in no time.

Again, glad to have you back, friend.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Garage Lifter
    Best of luck with everything Kiaran. You'll find a lot of support here.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

We're with you 100%, as you well know. No doubt you've been tested on several levels but at least the worst is over and now you are moving on, building the new life you deserve, everything will fall in place.
    Last edited by Coke; 08-02-2010 at 10:15 AM.

Flynn: Thanks a lot, bro. Means a lot to me. Truly looking forward to the next chapter of my life. I'll be stopping by everyone's journals again soon. So dig in and keep kickin some ass!

StL: Thanks bro! Appreciate you stoppin by in here. You are correct about this place.

Coke: Always appreciate the support, bro! You're an inspiration for sure. I look forward to training next to you and everyone else in here again.

32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Finishing up the gym tomorrow evening. Just wanna wipe everything down and get some photos at this point. I'll start my routine on Monday. The DOMS are gonna be crap I'm sure. I'm going to do a modified 531. It is geared to maximize healing time and growth for my bench. I found that Benching and Military Pressing on separate days wrecked my elbows too much. So I've spaced them out to my optimal 4-5 days rest between and merged the two lifts into the same session, with Bench being the focus. I've spaced my deadlift out to my optimal once every other week. I'll hit deads on my 5s week and my 1s week. And Squats once per week has always yielded my best gains as well. Excited to see the results. Routine looks like this:

Week 1 (5-5-5+):
    Monday: Squat / Lunges / Core
    Tuesday: Bench / Milies / Chins
    Thursday: Deads / Seated DB Cleans / Core
    Friday: Dips / Extensions / Ropes

Week 2 (3-3-3+):
    Sunday: Bench / Milies / Chins
    Wednesday: T-Bars / Curls / Ropes
    Thursday: Bench / Milies / Seated DB Cleans

Week 3 (5-3-1+):
    Tuesday: Bench / Milies / Chins
    Thursday: Deads / Seated DB Cleans / Core
    Friday: Dips / Extensions / Ropes

Week 4 (Deload):
    Sunday: Bench / Milies / Chins
    Wednesday: T-Bars / Curls / Ropes
    Thursday: Bench / Milies / Seated DB Cleans

Time to get busy!
    Last edited by Kiaran; 08-05-2010 at 10:39 PM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Man, I'm very sorry to hear that. I was wondering what happened to you. Women can really f*** your head up man....it's happened to many of us before. Damn right whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger!!!

Nothin more really to say about that, other then it's great to see you back around again. I'm looking forward to seeing you put my a** to shame with some of your crazy numbers that you put up!!

I'll be checkin in!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Here's the new setup. Came out pretty nice. EFS cage, EFS bench, same Ivanko PL bar and Ivanko plates. Built a new platform and adjustable squat box.

Last edited by Kiaran; 08-08-2010 at 10:21 PM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Nothing will gut punch you like a woman.

I am glad to see you back on your feet and looking forward to seeing the new journey.

Garage Lifter
    You've got a great set up in the garage, time to get to it!
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

You are awesome Keph, very creative...way to bounce back with the new gym.

Awesome set up, Keph. EVERYTHING you need right there.

SFW!
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

John, StL, Coke, Flynn: Thanks fellas. I'm doin my best to bounce back. Gonna take a little while but the worst is over no doubt. Warrioring forward through this life ****.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Monday, August 9th, 2010 - 531 Cycle 1, 555

16" Box Squats
    95 x 5 (w)
    135 x 5 (w)

180 x 5
    205 x 5
    230 x 10

BB Lunges
    45 x 5 (w)
    75 x 5
    95 x 5
    115 x 5

Band Ab Pulldowns
    AvgBand x 20
    AvgBand x 20
    AvgBand x 20

Ropes
    x500 (broken sets)

Rock bottom baby! Lol, 230 felt about like 300 on my shoulders. My knees were squeeky and my ass kept cramping up. Not ****ing kidding. My ass kept cramping...guess it's used to just sitting for the last 5 months. Glad I made it through with no injuries and gave moderate intensity. 230x10 was tough for sure. Eating like a pig now and I've got some ground to cover in the next 8 weeks.

The gym is definitely different. Smaller and very cramped to work in. Not for the claustrophobic. But it's mine and I love that. Gonna take a little time to get used to. Bench tomorrow!

Video

Lunges w/ 115 (left) & Band Ab Pulldowns (right)

Last edited by Kiaran; 08-09-2010 at 09:02 PM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Ah, you're back! How did I miss this journal??? I was thinking about you the other day wondering when you're coming back and how you've been since the separation.

First off, I want to tell you how terribly sorry I am that you out of all people experienced this kind of event in your life. I can say with confidence you didn't deserve that in anyway. Obviously I don't know the details, but you deserve a much smoother ride in life than that. As I'm sure you know, it only gets easier and better from here on out -- keep that in mind. Starting now, you'll only become stronger in every way possible and I wish you the best of luck reaching your goals in life inside and outside of training. I'll definitely be around whoring up your journal like always. You've got a ton of support on your side and it's only going to get better!

That's a hell of a workout to start out with! You're already squatting more than me! LOL. Too bad you had to downsize, but of all the people on here, I know you can make any room into the most ****ing bad-ass place to SFW!

Great to have you back!

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

I have a lot a respect for someone who writes that for all to read, you really put it all out there and that takes guts I know!!

You have some big balls man, I wish you all the best and to be honest you seem like the type who will bounce back pretty quick.

Look forward to seeing your numbers climb fast, awesome new gym you got!!

Glad I had a look in here bro!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I was just visiting some journals and happened to stop in yours. As Flynn said it took a lot of guts to expose your vulnerabilities like that. No matter how strong we get in the weight room we aren't always strong enough to conquer all life brings. Quitting is the only way to lose. Training area looks top notch and that's an impressive debut all things considered.

Awesome way to break in the new room, K. You'll be back to 315 in no time!!

LuNa
    Im so sorry to hear about all the things that happened. Writing it all down here, for everyone was a great first step to move beyond what has been your life the last months. You have earned so much respect for doing that.

The new set-up looks great and im loving the detailed posts once again. 210 is not bad at all, for someome your weight, after a long lay off with everything that happened. Looking forward to you putting my numbers to shame again, weighing almost only half that i weigh .

Garage Lifter
    Great first workout back, something to be proud of and to build off

Just to repeat everyone else bro, it takes a big man to do what you did and come back with new goals. When I was 22, I went through the same thing. I lost my wife who was my High School sweetheart and thought all was over. But I got back on the horse and carried on and now am happily married with 3 kids. Its a real tough journey, but trust me, things will turn, and it seems that it already has. Even though were all invisible friends on here, the support shown here is priceless, and like you know, reliable advice can be had. Dont hesitate to drop an IM if you need to unload some crap on someone. Being one of the old heads around here, ive already walked through life. Its not the end, but a new beginning. Great work so far on your new adventure, and I look forward to watching you surpass your old self bro. Stay strong
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Ya man, I always loved this journal because I can always count on some pictures and videos....good stuff!

After a 5 month layoff, it's definately understandable that the squats aren't going to be that easy. Hell, after even 1 week of no training, I come back and I feel like my body is all out of wack! I can't even imagine how hard it would be after a few months!!!

Way to suck it up and train anyway though bro....you'll be back at it and hitting PR's in no time!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Keith: Dude, I really appreciate what you said there. Thanks a lot, bro. No doubt the support in here is top notch. My squats are still gonna be off a 16" box, which is about 4" up from parallel for me. I'm ****ing sore as hell today. My house hasn't sold yet and if it doesn't, I may move back in and just say **** it and turn the whole damn place into my bachelor pad, lol! Thanks for the words, bro.

Nick: What's up man! Thanks for stoppin by my journal. And thanks a lot for those comments. I don't hide behind these forums, never have I guess. I just spit it and I am what I am. I hope I can gain my strength back quickly with no injuries. I'll see ya round, bro.

John O: I hear ya bro. Thanks for the words and stopping by my journal. I'll definitely be stoppin by to pay you some respect. I hope to have some awesome workouts in the coming months!

John: Thanks bro! Ugh, 315 is a long way off. Hopefully in another 10-12 weeks I will be puttin it up again though.

Luna: I appreciate those words, bro. Thanks a lot for the support. I can't wait to get back into shape man! Looking forward to training here again with you all.

StL: Thanks a lot, bro!

Brian: Man thanks for the words and encouragement. Sounds like you've been there. Really appreciate the support, bro. I know things are gonna get better and the worst is over. Looking forward to crushing some weight in here with you all again!

Bri: lol, thanks bro. I will definitely continue posting the pics and vids. I hear ya on how quick strength and size goes out the window with a layoff. I'm definitely sucking it up and just doing what needs to be done right now. PRs will fall before the sun sets on this year.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Tuesday, August 10th, 2010 - 531 Cycle 1, 555

Bench Press
    45 x 5 (w)
    45 x 5 (w)
    95 x 5 (w)

115 x 5
    145 x 5
    165 x 10

Military Press
    45 x 5 (w)
    65 x 5 (w)

80 x 5
    90 x 5
    105 x 10

Ring Pullups
    BW x 10
    BW x 10
    BW x 5
    BW x 5
    BW x 5

Holy **** I'm sore today. Feel like I've been beaten with baseball bats all over my body. But it feels sorta good in a masochistic way. I'm really tired too. Trying to get extra sleep. Bench was terrible, but I trucked through it. My form felt lousy and shaky. And to think I dusted 160 for 21 reps just 6 months ago. Gonna get there again, mark my words. Military Press was tough and pullups were just sad.

I may actually switch my routine to just a basic split for right now and put the 531 on the back burner. Wanna take advantage of my "newb" gains that I will probably get. So I may actually cycle some lifts a little faster than normal for now. Bring on the pain

Video

Military Pres w/ 105 (left) & Ring Pullups (right)

Last edited by Kiaran; 08-11-2010 at 06:22 PM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Can always appreciate the way you go at it man, great job.