Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Forgotten - Kiaran's Garage Training

I'm sure your October estimate for the OHP is gonna be on point.

And nice job on the Squats man...probably feels good having some weight on the back!

I'm glad I can't view your pelvic thrusts Great squat effort though! +90 on chins
    Last edited by john o; 08-16-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Garage Lifter
    seem to be hitting your groove with things
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Jumpin right back into Westside huh? That's pretty bada** man!!!!

It looks like you almost haven't even missed a beat....your sessions are still sick, and you're puttin up some impressive numbers too!!

Muscle memory is awesome, isn't it!?!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

i'm liking the journal bro - tough times in life bring out the best in us. your garage setup is sweet too
    Last edited by johnnyo_99; 08-17-2010 at 09:24 AM.

I've been checkin out your log since you brought it back. It's cool to see that you are back in the game. Strong squats, too. You will get your strength back quickly. Quick question, which Elite rack did you go with? I am starting to price out some equipment for my garage and definitely want an Elite rack.

John: Hey thanks bro. Yeah, definitely feels good to put a little weight on my shoulders again. Not too sore today, so my body is remembering.

John O: Lol, well that's a damn shame. Thanks for the props, bro! Yeah, the +90 was starting to feel comfortable back in February. I'll get there again before the sun sets on this year.

StL: Just doin my thing, bro. Thanks!

Bri: Hell yeah, Westside is my favorite bro! Appreciate those words. Muscle memory is a pretty incredible thing. It's like your body has the ability to lay dormant. I sorta wanna read some studies on it cause it's like a nuclear bomb went off in me this last week and things are growing out of control right now. Very interesting stuff.

Johnnyo: You said it, bro. Thanks for the props and stopping by my journal. Appreciate the kind words!

Nick P: Thanks bro! I'm just gettin started. Gonna break some PRs again one day soon. Awesome about settin up your own garage gym. I recommend the Elite FTS 2x2 rack for a number of reasons. Mainly the 1" hole spacing in the bench press zone and the 2" hole spacing everywhere else. You can't beat that when you train alone because you can set the pins wherever you need to. The quality of their racks is incredible too. Definitely do the 0-90 bench, pullup bar, and bottom band pegs too. Extra J-cups and spot pins is nice if you have several people training at once. Also, the parallel bar dip attachments are ****ing awesome! Worth every penny. Go with a cool color too!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 - Extra

Ropes
    x1000 (non-stop, 3 misses, 8:05 m)

Grippers
    Sport x10
    Sport x10
    Sport x10
    Trainer x10

Neck Work
    Random neck movements

Honestly I'm feeling really good. Got addicted to cigarettes when the **** hit the fan back in March and I haven't smoked one now in almost two weeks. Happy about this and I was amazed that I hit my 1000 ropes tonight with almost no misses and in a pretty respectable time.

Grippers are tough but good. A low moment for me was March 20th. When I found out what my ex wife had done. I put my fist through the wedding picture, glass and all, blood spurting everywhere. I then flipped a book case halfway across a room, and began putting my fist through a wall repeatedly until my sister stopped me. I had put my fist repeatedly through a 5 inch gap of wallboard on a pillar in my house surrounded by two studs, one on either side. Not sure how I missed the studs but I did. I damaged the tendons in my right hand from hitting the wall and luckily didn't break any bones. I'm thankful that nobody was behind my wrath that night aside from inanimate objects. Gripping things, even shaking hands has been very painful for the last five months. Getting back to training is actually helping though. Not sure how, but my hand is almost back to full strength after two weeks of training. I couldn't even close the Sports with my right hand last month because it was too painful. Still felt a little pain tonight on the grippers but it's about 200% better than it was. So I'm really happy about this. Life is so ****ing weird.

ME Bench tomorrow night!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

son-of-a-b man! I've got scars on my hand from similiar bouts of rage, haha - and a woman was behind it as well! life is weird!

The best anger management I ever had was a cast for 2 months. During a fight with my ex I punched the counter, breaking the 5th metacarple. That **** set me back a solid 5-6 months total cause even after the cast was removed my hand was still super sensitive...wouldnt even dare shake hands with people for a few months.
    Anyway, glad to hear you quit smoking, that **** is nasty for you...hit the crown bottle instead

John99: Yup, they do that to a man. I've got scars too, lol!

John: Yeah, same here bro. I didn't have a cast but might as well have. I knew I was incapacitated and had to cool my jets with my messed up hand for awhile. Thanks for the words, bro. Yeah, smoking sucks. I was addicted to the bottle for a few months too. The side affects of relationships gone very very wrong I guess.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 - ME Bench

H-Rolls
    10s x 15
    10s x 15

Shoulder Horn
    5s x 20
    5s x 20

Bench Press
    45 x 6 (w)
    95 x 3 (w)

135 x 3 (62%)
    155 x 3 (72%)
    175 x 3 (81%)
    195 x 3 (90%)
    195 x 3 (90%)

T-Bars
    +45 x 10 (w)
    +135 x 8
    +180 x 5
    +180 x 5
    +135 x 15

Dips
    BW x 10
    +25 x 8
    +50 x 8
    +75 x 3

Seated DB Cleans
    20s x 10
    25s x 10
    25s x 10
    25s x 10

Pretty good session tonight. Trained with two of my good friends, which was a nice change of pace. 195 felt heavy on bench but my second set was actually better than my first. T-Bars were tough, definitely lost some strength there. Dips felt awesome though. It's nice to be back to regular dips and not have to do them on the stupid rings. Ring Dips are ****ing worthless. I pretty much just got good at doing ring dips. They translated to nothing. With parallel bar dips you can lockout your elbows at the end of the movement, which is where I need it. So I really think I'm gonna get a great carryover to my bench from these. Happy about this. Probably gonna do DE Squat tomorrow night.

Dips w/ +75 (left) and Seated DB Cleans w/ 25s (right)

Last edited by Kiaran; 08-19-2010 at 01:21 AM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Those dips look cool!!

Great overall training bro!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Dips are an awesome movement. You make an important point too. Its knowing the difference in doing something (and they may be hard as hell) that will carry over well to your big lifts or just something that will make you better at that particular thing. I am sure you will start pumping out some big sets of weighted dips soon enough. Training is on point and v consistent. You are onto a winner here K!

Sorry to hear about the number you did on your hand. Glad its on the mend. Imagine channeling that rage into a squat, eh? Not that you EVER want that feeling again. Fight or flight mechanism is nuts.
    Last edited by -JM-; 08-19-2010 at 06:36 AM.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Garage Lifter
    I'm sure bench will come back soon with the hard work you're putting in
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Great overall training bro!!
    No joke, looking vey nice throughout.

Did a nice job with that one K!

Good work on bench. I wish I could do dips, but they make my elbows scream.

Thats effin amazing you're still able to dip that much bud...good things to come!

Nick: Thanks, bro! Enjoying the dips and training for sure.

Flynn: Definitely agree with you, bro. Dips are incredible builders when done right. The rings just don't allow you to fully lockout without becoming too unstable. The parallel bars work so much better here. I am usually able to channel that adrenaline into my deadlift. Works wonders, lol! Thanks for the props, bro.

StL: I hope bench does come on back soon. But it won't be without a lot of work. Gotta get my triceps stronger. Arms are my weak point.

Coke: Thanks, bro, appreciate that!

John O: Thanks a lot, bro! Puttin my heart into it.

Nick 8: Thanks bro. Yeah, dips can be a killer for some people. That's how I feel with skulls if I don't get them at the perfect angle. Painful on the elbows.

John: No doubt, thanks a lot bro! Gonna pay my dues and reap my rewards. Love this game.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Friday, August 20th, 2010 - DE Squat

TKEs
    LtBand x 20
    LtBand x 20

Band Hip Abductions
    LtBand x 15
    LtBand x 15

Deadlift
    45 x 3 (w)
    135 x 5 (w)

225 x 3 (55%)
    315 x 1 (77%)
    365 x 1 (90%) (+belt here)
    405 x 1 (92%)
    440 x 1 (100%)

Speed 11" Box Squat
    45 x 2 (w)
    45+AvgBand x 2 (w)

135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)
    135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)
    135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)
    135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)
    135+AvgBand x 2 (45% ?)

Band Hip Pulls
    Mini x 10
    MnstMini x 10
    MnstMini x 10
    MnstMini+Micro x 10

Ab Wheel
    Knees x 10
    Knees x 10
    Knees x 10
    Knees x 10

Well ****, I guess I can still deadlift. I was a little nervous going into this one tonight. I knew I was sore as **** from Wednesday and I haven't pulled anything over 315 lbs in 5+ months. Training has felt good though and my strength is creepin back. So I knew I had to get that first pull session out of my way and that would gauge where I was really at strength wise. I'm very happy with the results tonight and I think some good things are headed my way with Westside. I hope I can kick the doors off 500 when I reach 160 lbs again. It definitely felt good to put some weight in my hands and feel my CNS kick into overdrive for that lift. Work capacity is definitely improving. Got a tough week ahead and then I will swap out the lifts or deload depending on how I feel. I don't plan to deadlift heavy again for 3-4 weeks.

Edit: I weighed in this morning (Saturday) and was a couple lbs heavier than I anticipated yesterday. I thought I was sitting at about 145, and it turns out I am 148 today. So my pull was a couple lbs short of a 3X BW, lol, damn that ever elusive 3X!

In other news, I have decided to take my house off the market and keep it for myself. My ex is moving out and I will bust my lease at this apartment and move back in at the end of September. This means I will have my old gym back...which means I have a heater in there for winter time. Happy about this. It will be an emotional hurdle to live there for awhile but I'll get over it. Feelin good tonight.

Video

Speed Squats 11" Box w/ 135+AvgBand (left) and Band Hip Pulls w/ MnstrMiniBand (right)

Ab Wheel

Last edited by Kiaran; 08-21-2010 at 12:20 PM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Awesome deads! Can't wait to see what you have in store with a few more months of training.

LuNa
    AMAZING sessions again, it is so good to see you back in here. Good to hear you will be moving back into your old place. As you said, it will be tough in the beginning, but im sure the old gym will help with dealing with that.

Sick deads dude!

Garage Lifter
    big pullling, other work looks really solid as well

Glad to see you get the chance to keep the home front intact where your home gym is concerned, i was concerned about that...seeing you move on in this manner is great, make no mistake.