The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I eat the same stuff except i dont use supps besides whey.
    I may try creatine tho but i want a good price on it

i beleive in training hard at the gym. its hard to explain but ill try. i do relatively high volume training, every muscle i do around 12 sets. like chest for example, i start with mass movements for the first 4 sets with a rep scheme of 12 10 6 4, i think that tackles both muscle building and strength. ill do dumbell bp, then incline flys, then incline bp, then i ride my bike home. once i get home i eat a ton of protein. then about every hour i eat a 400+ cal meal, which is usually around 4 meals

thats some damn high volume.... fook.
    im on a real low volume routine now, my strength is getting better.... so im not changing anything until that stops.

i cycle creatine, 3 weeks on 1 week off. and i make sure i eat lots of foods that naturally contain creatine while im off so i can produce it normally again. also at the gym, you have to be able to tap in to the highest level of intensity. think of it like a chart. most people lift at about 40% of there potential. unless you feel like your muscles are burst out of your body with every rep, then your not going to go anywere.

i also dont like low volume, i use to do low volume and never got anywere. and that strength=size. being incredibly strong is how your going to be incredibly big. and mass movements make you big, everything else is just gonna cut you up, and even you out
    Last edited by InferiorDesign; 05-11-2002 at 08:00 AM.

I used to do high volume and got nowhere....
    odd.

*ponders*

maybe theres a pattern here like maybe low fat gene people should do high volume and fatty gene people should do low.

just a thought and even if its on to something its oversimplified but i thought id share anyway.

believe me i lift hard. when it feels like if otherwise my package would be cut off with a blunt rusty little knife and fed to a hog, I couldn`t go an inch further, thats when i know i have about 2 reps to go

"i also dont like low volume, i use to do low volume and never got anywere.

and that strength=size. being incredibly strong is how your going to be incredibly big.

**i agree but how does this mean high volume works?

and mass movements make you big, everything else is just gonna cut you up, and even you out"

**no exercises will cut you up

a high volume routine stresses the body alot more, so you have to eat an abnormally high amount of food. also every time my weight gets higher i feel like crap for a day or so, cause my body is stressed alot. your body will get use to high volume training, and youll be able to get further, but youll go through some pretty terrible periods of overtraining. totally, ive had about 2 weeks worth of feeling like i havent slept in years (literraly), but it dies down. you just have to make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep, and remember, you cant oversleep, going to bed an hour early is actually better for your body

everything with pulleys and machines just make your muscles more rounded and firm. strength=mass doesnt have anything to do with high volume, it has to do with intensity, and progressive strength gains
    Last edited by InferiorDesign; 05-11-2002 at 08:09 AM.

I do believe a high volume trainee would have a higher maintenance level somewhat and the comparison between us two confirms this (altho my maintenance level is like 3200 also)

but i dont believe a muscle can be made "more rounded and firm" like you state pulley work does.

the only thing that can make a muscle itself more "firm" imo is flexing it

i think that since its not a mass movement, and doesnt utilize all muscles it wont make it bigger, i think the muscles being used are the outer layer of muscles, so those are made bigger and more porportional. while mass movements even work those mucles way down in there, making the whole thing bigger. these are just all my beleifs, and so far theyve gotten me nothing but gains

"i think that since its not a mass movement, and doesnt utilize all muscles it wont make it bigger, i think the muscles being used are the outer layer of muscles, so those are made bigger and more porportional. "

I dont believe you can work any separate layer of a muscle.

i suppose it doesn`t even matter what you believe in this. the conclusion stays all the same compound movements are the ****, should get super attention and be placed at the beginning of each workout.

you have msn btw?

its possible to only work parts of the muscle. of course all parts are worked, but why do you think your dumbell curls and preacher curls use different weights? its what part is utilized, and what muscles may assist, taking stress off certain fibers in the major muscle

i got aim

"why do you think your dumbell curls and preacher curls use different weights? "

because you can absolutely not cheat by changing the place of the elbow in preachers, and because of any other mechanical differences.

the preacher curl is a total isolation exercise theres no cheating and no assistance thats why the weight is lower. but the bicep is in fact doing the exact same thing imo.

Damn good article, **** the pros!
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

btw im off im gonna eat now

Rock, they are allready being fucked by gay buisiness men.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

actually, the ability to be able not to cheat with free weights is a very significant gift.

Excellent article.
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

A well written article...quite depressing. I especially agree with the comments on female bodybuilding. I've dealt with so much CRAP from my parents specifically because of these "ladies." They wouldn't let me buy whey because they thought it was a pseudo-steroid and would turn me into one of them. I see the myth every single goddamn day, among every single one of my female friends. Far too many of them go to gyms, play sports, but never realize how beneficial weight training can be in building the body they want. Most are scared to death of it. And these are intelligent friends of mine, I won't even talk about the average girl in gym class. I wonder if they look at me in confusion followed by disgust, because I wouldn't blame them for associating my goals with the drugged up bodies of female bodybuilders.

The mention of a huffing puffing pro in the airport was pathetic. Bodybuilding is supposed to be about health and fitness. People who don't have that shouldn't be allowed to call themselves a bodybuilder.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

Inferior your facts about the how and why of muscles growing is just so wrong. Mass != Strength for one. Machines and pulleys can be equally, if not more, effective than free weights.

As for your claim of gaining 40lbs of lean mass in the pass 3 months, that is such a bunch of BS unless you are juiced to the gills, and even then I think it would be BS. Either you have no clue how to measure your BF%, or you can't read a scale. Throw up a pic so we can see all those stretch marks! Sorry to call you on that dude, but you're doing the same thing the magazines do, which is misleading people.

LOL, only on the internet folks....

Dead Sexy Member
    Marshall I was thinking the same thing.

5 pounds a week and still 8 % BF, ya, sure.

Inferior design, your posts make me sad inside.
    Great article. And Jane, I agree 100%, my girlfriend gets grief all the time in some form or another, and I try to help my sister build a better body and she will not lift heavy weights, cuz she doesnt want to get any bigger. Therefor she never looks any better.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST