The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    rebuilding the foundations Herandi's Avatar

How to vary workouts

What's up guys, long time no post. I'm trying to vary my workouts more and include higher rep sets and crossfit style workouts. My question is, how does one go about adding in variation. i.e. would the body respond better to say

a) a whole week of heavy lfiting (low reps) followed by a whole week of lower weights (high reps + cardiovascular work)

or

b) varying every workout, so: heavy (low reps), light (hight reps), repeat

or does it not really make a difference? Just trying to create a new routine and having trouble going about it!

thanks.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Herandi View Post
    What's up guys, long time no post. I'm trying to vary my workouts more and include higher rep sets and crossfit style workouts. My question is, how does one go about adding in variation. i.e. would the body respond better to say

a) a whole week of heavy lfiting (low reps) followed by a whole week of lower weights (high reps + cardiovascular work)

or

b) varying every workout, so: heavy (low reps), light (hight reps), repeat

or does it not really make a difference? Just trying to create a new routine and having trouble going about it!

thanks.

It depends on your goals and which takes priority.

Strength, size, leaness, general fitness...which is/are the most important to you?
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 08-01-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Hey Herandi,

I've tended to find the best thing to do is cycles - so stick with something for 6-8 weeks, deload and then switch things up. That gives you some consistent markers to gauge progression but also vary your workouts throughout the year.

So for example I did 6 weeks of 12-15 reps a while back, took a week as a deload then switch to 8 reps for 6 weeks, another deload week and then brought it down to 5-6 reps to focus in on strength...

You could also have a strength day (less reps, less volume) and then a hypertrophy day (higher volume, higher reps) too.

Or sometimes I would even mix them up like this.,

bench - 2 x 6-8, 1 x 12-15

So you are varing rep ranges throughout the session.

But, as I said I above, I settled on doing blocks of reps, followed by a deload and then something different.

Right now I am doing 3 x full body workouts in the 8 rep range, but I also do 1 x HIIT style workout which keeps some volume/work capacity going through me.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Another way to do it, and I've posted about it before, is to use high to low reps within a cycle. You'd start out light doing sets of 12. Each week you'd add weight to the bar until you were no longer able to complete the 12 reps. That's okay, just let the reps fall naturally. Stop the cycle when all the lifts are failing at 5 reps. Then take a week off and start a new cycle and try to beat all the previous weights and reps.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

rebuilding the foundations Herandi's Avatar
    some really good suggestions here, I appreciate it.

Daniel - I do like the idea of focussing on a certain rep range for X amount of weeks and then deloading, but like you said, I would also perhaps like to keep a day of cardiovascular work/ HIIT in the week.

Offroad - I like that idea too. Would allow me to vary the rep ranges throughout a cycle, and is similar to something I did a while back.

Thanks guys.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."