Thread: Newsletter Article - Chin Ups: It's Only a Name

Newsletter Article - Chin Ups: It's Only a Name

by Craig Weller

At a gym a while ago I overheard someone talking about chin ups say, "Oh, you're doing them chest to bar…"

It occurred to me then that for many people, a chin up means just that: A movement finished by elevating the chin over a bar. Actually touching ones chest to the bar is an entirely separate concept, and is even categorized by a different name.

The problem here is that this chin-over-the-bar-only idea is the upper body equivalent of the quarter squat. It robs you of most of the benefits to be had from doing the actual movement

A chin up (or a pull up) is one of the most effective upper body exercises one can do and it's got significant carry-over to real world movements. It develops everything from hand and forearm strength through the biceps and long head of the triceps to the lats and upper back.

In order for this to happen though, the movement must be performed correctly, and in order for the movement to be performed correctly, it must be finished with a solid retraction and depression of the scapulae.

If this does not happen, the musculature of the upper back is neglected, including the middle and lower traps and the rhomboids. This will eventually lead to faulty movement patterns, scapular dysfunction and weakness and muscle imbalance in the upper back.

Generally, the scapulae are properly "set" when they are locked down and in as far as they will go at the end range of the chin up. The elbows will stop just behind the ribs. If all you're doing is tipping your chin over the bar at the top, your scapulae will be unable to retract fully, your elbows will still be out in front of your body, your shoulders pitched forward in their capsules and you won't be finishing the movement.

It's been said before by a number of strength coaches, but the chin up should really be called the "chest up." This is because when properly performed, the movement is finished when the chest touches the bar, the elbows are just behind the ribs and the scapulae are solidly squeezed down and back.

Video

Example of a chin up finishing when the chest touches the bar

If all your chin ups and pull ups have been measured by simply touching your chin over the bar, it's time for a change. Start thinking of them as chest ups, get your scaps to function, develop some real strength and muscle mass in your upper back and keep your shoulders healthy.

------------------

This exclusive article (and others) can be found in the latest Wannabebig Serious About Muscle Newsletter - August 4th, 2010

You can sign up here - Wannabebig Newsletter Sign Up
    Last edited by Joe Black; 08-04-2010 at 09:30 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Nice! This is something I have to remember from now on!!!
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Nice article, succinct and helpful thanks
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

excellent point...i'm going to make sure I emphasize this from now on
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 175

B: 255x1 DL: 375x1 SQ: work in progress

Goals: B-275 D-400 S-275 Weight- 180

I'll start doing this also.. damn, here comes a drop in weight!

It really annoys me when I see gym rats doing quarter pull ups... like moving about a total of 4-6 inches up and down.

They are amazed when I can bust out a set of muscle ups and dumbfounded as to why they can't develop enough power to clear the bar.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 08-04-2010 at 04:29 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Yep, the quarter chin ups guys do my head in.

Nothing feels better than a slow, controlled full range of motion chin up... sorry chest up
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

I definately go to a dead hang, I just don't always go all the way up to the chest.....I will start doing that though.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbirgel View Post
    excellent point...i'm going to make sure I emphasize this from now on
    Same here.