The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

How Often Is It Okay To Cut Loose?

Hey guys, names John Im 18, and I have a problem or concern.

I did P90x, its a 3 month program, and during that time I was on a very strict diet. When I finished P90x, I had a day where I letterally ate whatever I wanted and however much I wanted for a whole day. Had a jar of Peanut butter in one hand, with Cookies, chocolate, and pizza on the other. I went full on Fat Ass mode for one day. That was on a saturday, the next day was sunday, and I went back to my strict diet with no problems. I started Insanity the next week. So I stayed on the diet, but I dont feel its a diet rather than eating the proper amount of calories needed, and making sure they are all healthy calories. I'm about 5 weeks away from finishing Insanity, at which point I am on track to finally have that 6-pack I have wanted for so long. I wanted to know if I have another one of the "Fat Ass" days, and then go back to a regular healthy diet and exercise routine like I plan on doing, then will this affect my results. Now I dont beleive in cheat days, or meals, or snacks. Not even grahm crackers touch my lips During these months of dieting, I believe in all or nothing until you reach your goal. So what I'm trying to ask is, Can one day kill me? Can it raise my Body fat percentage at all, to the point I might loose my sixpack? Is it possible to do that much damage in one day? Also If one day does not kill you, then how often would it be okay for me to go on one of those binges? I know you advise against it, but I have already managed to have one, and proceed a healthy diet the next day no problem. Like if went all out for Thanksgiving and Christmas, would that cause me to see a negative effect?? If you reply to this I would deeply appreciate it.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by John92 View Post
    Hey guys, names John Im 18, and I have a problem or concern.

I did P90x, its a 3 month program, and during that time I was on a very strict diet. When I finished P90x, I had a day where I letterally ate whatever I wanted and however much I wanted for a whole day. Had a jar of Peanut butter in one hand, with Cookies, chocolate, and pizza on the other. I went full on Fat Ass mode for one day. That was on a saturday, the next day was sunday, and I went back to my strict diet with no problems. I started Insanity the next week. So I stayed on the diet, but I dont feel its a diet rather than eating the proper amount of calories needed, and making sure they are all healthy calories. I'm about 5 weeks away from finishing Insanity, at which point I am on track to finally have that 6-pack I have wanted for so long. I wanted to know if I have another one of the "Fat Ass" days, and then go back to a regular healthy diet and exercise routine like I plan on doing, then will this affect my results. Now I dont beleive in cheat days, or meals, or snacks. Not even grahm crackers touch my lips During these months of dieting, I believe in all or nothing until you reach your goal. So what I'm trying to ask is, Can one day kill me? Can it raise my Body fat percentage at all, to the point I might loose my sixpack? Is it possible to do that much damage in one day? Also If one day does not kill you, then how often would it be okay for me to go on one of those binges? I know you advise against it, but I have already managed to have one, and proceed a healthy diet the next day no problem. Like if went all out for Thanksgiving and Christmas, would that cause me to see a negative effect?? If you reply to this I would deeply appreciate it.
    You've got lots to learn but it sounds like you're well on your way.

To address your Q's here let me just point out that some guys here have a full blown cheat day once per week. They eat clean and train hard all week so they have the "room" for all those extra cals on the cheat day.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Wannabebig Member
    Not knowing much about you or your personal experience w/"dieting", I can only speak from personal experience.

Cheat days are great, but be careful that you don't let yourself start slipping.

It's very easy to start making excuses for, like, "well.....It's just one night out with the guys/girls"...or, "well...it's just Christmas/Thanksgiving/Spring Break/Saturday/Sunday/Monday....etc, etc, etc." lol

Also, especially when you're really restricting yourself, sometimes just simply being REMINDED what "good," "uber-fattening" food tastes like is enough to totally destroy any plan you happened to have been on.

Again, just personal experience. This may not at all be the case for even the majority of the dieting population.

Best of luck to you though, and I haven't read the "avoiding the post diet binge" thread yet, but it might be worth it to check out.

EDITED TO INCLUDE:

Congratulations on your success thus far. Also, as far as it ruining your sixpack, or whatever, this might be better answered by someone else, but, you may not even notice. And, even if you do, by some small measure, I doubt it would last for long...especially if you just get your ass right back on track! I've been off the wagon more or less for about a month now. Thankfully, I've only picked up a few extra lbs, but even after 1 or 2 days back on, I notice everything falling back into place. It just takes work and commitment.
    Last edited by Crimea River; 08-17-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: one last thing

Banned
    I would seriously try not to do it if you can avoid it. but i know its really hard to resist. its better to try to achieve balance by building towards meals that include foods you want without eating a jar of PB or a box of oreos etc. in the end, the only way i can avoid the extreme over-indulgence is to simply not buy those foods (which is pathetic)

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    the only way i can avoid the extreme over-indulgence is to simply not buy those foods (which is pathetic)
    This is the case for me as well, so you're not alone. If I want to have just a serving or two of something cheaty (ice cream, etc) I have to throw the rest away or I will eat it, most likely right away.

Once in 3 months is not going to kill you, but thousands of calories over maintenance every week or two will be detrimental. Once you reach your goal, you can find a way to feed your cravings without going overboard. Plus, you won't be on a restricted diet at that time so you might not have such bad cravings anyway.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

If you really are 100% strict on your diet for months at a time, and will be again after cheating, then go hard. It may even be a good metabolism boost. Just don't go and have 10000 calories that day

In regards to avoiding food, lol if I have a chocolate cookie I WILL eat the whole pack no matter what. Then regret takes over and I wish I could spew but my girlfriend won't let me finger-throat it haha

Wannabebig Member
    My gf and I are planning to go to our favourite Chinese restaurant in about 2 weeks. We will have both been on a strict diet for about 2 months at that point. I'm already feeling guilty about going, and i don't even plan on eating much...

Just do one big meal if you really need it....that will have less of an effect than the whole day and will help keep your metabolism up. I dont know if you are familiar with the concept of refeeds, but Keto and TCDs include them and those are two of the most successful plans out there.
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

"Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler