Thread: What are the best knee sleeves for feds that dont allow wraps?

What are the best knee sleeves for feds that dont allow wraps?

Im considering doing a USAPL meet in to get into USAPL's raw nationals next year. I need to get some sleeves.

I see alot of people wearing the Blue Rehbands. Do these give any carryover or is it just as well to get a pair of mullers for 12 bucks?
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

They dont give any pop, but they do a GREAT job at keeping the joint warm. I use them and Id always recommend them...APT sells them and as you probably know they have 15% off discounts.
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

"Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler

I have a pair of the blue Rehbands and I can't say their is any significant carryover. They might give me 5-10 lbs, but that could be psychological too. If there is any chance of carry over they would come from these knees and not the cheaper, thinner ones. Overall I'm very happy with them and they have held up to a fair amount of use over several years and are still in great shape. They are a worthwhile investment to have in your gym bag in my opinion.

I think the best knee sleeves for training are the APT white and black ones. They feel like a loose knee wrap and really help my knees from being torn up. I use to train without any gear which includes the time before becoming a powerlifter. I never wrapped my knees when squating. But since I started powerlifting I put the sleeves on after I get up over 400lbs. Having said that the APT knee sleeves are not permitted in the USAPL. (bummer). I have a pair of the black mullers you described and they fall apart rather quickly. I bought a pair of the blue Rehbands and I really like them. Not much carryover in the squat (certainly not nearly as much as the APT's). The Rehbands really keep the knees warm and I believe protect them well.

My suggestion (which is what I have been doing as of late in my prep for a raw usapl meet) is to train with the APT's and then switch over the Rehbands for the meet. I have used the Rehbands every so often in training to get use to them, but my theory is that protect the knee with something similiar (APT) and then use what is approved at the meet so your at no mental disadvantage come meet time.

Wannabebig Member

Knee Sleeves

Hey Scott unfortunately none of the neoprene type sleeves are that great compared to an APT like sleeve. I have a thick pair of Mueller that I got from The Brace Shop that are nice. All solid with no holes for the kneecap. I would never train in anything different than what I am going to lift in because there is no comparing the two types of sleeves. USAPL just doesn't give us much of a choice anyway.

I have the newer style rehbands. I feel like I get some weight out of them but that might be just a support thing rather than an assisted carryover.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by ehopkins932 View Post
    They dont give any pop, but they do a GREAT job at keeping the joint warm. I use them and Id always recommend them...APT sells them and as you probably know they have 15% off discounts.
    APT does not sell the blue 7mm Rehband sleeves, the only place to get those is Jackals Gym ($33.95 each). APT does sell the new style Rehbands (black/grey) but I would not recommend them as they provide less coverage area and are only 5mm thick for about the same price. There are better options for 5mm sleeves such as Vulkan or Tommy Kono.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Im considering doing a USAPL meet in to get into USAPL's raw nationals next year. I need to get some sleeves.

I see alot of people wearing the Blue Rehbands. Do these give any carryover or is it just as well to get a pair of mullers for 12 bucks?
    The blue Rehbands are the best sleeves on the market in terms of warmth/support but I do not think that you will get anything notable in terms of carryover. If you are just looking for something to wear for one meet then Mueller sleeves work fine, they are 3mm thick so you get a bit less warmth but they are about half the price of even the lower priced high-end knee sleeves.

I have a mueller sleeve that I have had for 3-4 years and it is still in good shape. You can also purchase them locally so you'll have a chance to try them on and see which size fits the best.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 08-09-2010 at 10:18 AM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Dr. Subtotal
    Blue Rehbands for the win. Worth the price and are very very durable.
    Scott if you're in PA still, all USAPL PA meets are on purepowerlifting.com. As far as three lift meets, we are running the Iron Lion Open in State College in November and there is the American Open in December in King of Prussia. I'll be at both, but competing at the AO. PA States are typically in March.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

You're dead to me, Yard.
    Roll Tide.

LOL

DOnt get me wrong Im not exactly excited to go to the USAPL as deep squats give me an allergic reaction but I do want to feel pressure again on the platform and most meets around my way just dont have any depth. I want competition and since it wont come to me. Ill go to it.
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped

Wannabebig Member
    So I take it my elitefts heavy (not super heavy) knee sleeves would not be allowed in the USAPL either? Sad.
    Last edited by ajweins; 08-10-2010 at 12:42 PM.

From what I gather only neoprene wraps are ok.
    Best raw meet lifts

Best lifts Equipped